Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, Abrams pulled it off!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just saw a trailer for this and had absolutely no clue it was a Star Trek film until toward the end of the trailer. I really thought it was a trailer for a Smallville movie or something of the like. Some dude running around and flying like he was a superhero??? Uh???

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Ah, I just went and had myself a good puke. Now I feel a little better.

The thing that's so aggravating about this and most other remakes is that they're eliminating what brought the fans to the the table. People like apples. They want to buy apples. Now, all of a sudden, you try to pass them off some oranges. That's fine, but when you also say, "hey, you can't buy apples anymore", that's when people get pissed off.

Here's the difference:

When Dawn of the Dead was remade, a lot of people shit all over it. Okay, fine. But, at the end of the day, Romero was still out there, being allowed to still make his type of zombie movies. In fact, he went ahead and did just that, two (going on three) more times. So, even though we got a load of oranges dumped on us, apples were still being made for us. So, no big deal.

But now, with Star Trek, they're putting out this MTV Generation bullshit on us, while also making clear that films and series belonging to the "universe" that has been around for 40 years will NOT be made any more. No more apples, ever. It's oranges or nothing.

And that's the thing that gets people worked up and angry.
    The franchise had been on ice for quite a while, it's more a case of this being the only way it could come back, than this blocking the old one out. The old was done, didn't get good ratings or dvd sales, the last 2 movies didn't do well critically or commercially, etc.

I mean Enterprise is hardly going to get renewed, and really that was a bit of a retcon in some ways anyway.

Just count yourself lucky you aren't a Doctor Who fan - imagine seeing "Star Trek: 902190". That's what we put up with pretty much
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE