Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new "Sarge" video

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think the word "zombie" should be avoided because it's become diluted over the years. There are video games with cute zombies. There are kids shows with zombies. There are commercials with zombies....

That word has become a part of pop culture and doesn't really frighten people anymore. I think to refer to them as stinches, or ghouls, or whatever kinda helps seperate them from that popular knowledge of zombies and thus makes them a bit more frightening.

As has been said on these boards by many people before.....when you say "zombie" to someone they usually think of "Brains!".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    In zombie films, however, the zombie outbreak is usually something new and unexpected. In Romero's films, unless he decided to get all post-modern, it wouldn't be appropriate for characters to have ever seen a modern "zombie film", because the first one of those was Night of the Living Dead, a film set in the very same universe as the characters themselves.
    Right, but you can't ignore the fact that Zombies, while maybe not part of popular folklore, are as big part of modern culture as Vampires are. While Romero's films are excused, because of the paradox of it actually being the "sequel" (if you will) to the film that actually started the whole thing, most other zombiefilms are not.

Super Moderator

United States
    Night of the Living Dead does not exist as a movie within Romero's zombie films and therefore, within that fictional universe, the modern zombie film, with all the associated terminology and understanding of the "rules", does not exist
    You. Just. Blew. My. Mind.

That's a damned good point.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    and its in 2.35:1
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That was a pretty cool teaser type video. I wonder if this could be one of the few diary perspective shots towards the beginning of the film that Romero has mentioned? Some sort of interview type segement to open the film?
    I thought that at first, but to be honest, I don't think so. The official Romero Twitter site has this: Check out this first of two short videos featuring Alan Van Sprang...we shot this on the set of the movie!

Sure, the whole movie is shot on set, so it doesn't exactly disprove it, but it does suggest that this was an "extra" they put together during shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You. Just. Blew. My. Mind.

That's a damned good point.
    Oh, that's nothing. Just a little pan-dimensional genius.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The difference is that vampires - as in neck-biting, undead immortals - are part of folklore. Most vampire films are based on the premise that vampires have been around for a very long time.

In zombie films, however, the zombie outbreak is usually something new and unexpected. In Romero's films, unless he decided to get all post-modern, it wouldn't be appropriate for characters to have ever seen a modern "zombie film", because the first one of those was Night of the Living Dead, a film set in the very same universe as the characters themselves.

Night of the Living Dead does not exist as a movie within Romero's zombie films and therefore, within that fictional universe, the modern zombie film, with all the associated terminology and understanding of the "rules", does not exist. It is feasible, however, that characters might jokingly (or otherwise) associate the undead with the zombies of Hoodoo mythology or old black-and-white movies, and use the term "zombie" as derogatory slang.

I liked the way they did it ROTLD where they actually discussed another Zombie film: NOTLD of course!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    and its in 2.35:1
    Gotta love 2.35:1 ...

United States
    I'm guessing using the word "zombie" in a current Romero film is understandable cause of the timeline. It's prolly been a couple years since the outbreak and they have been labled "things" "creatures" "ghouls" "Stench", ect.
    Someone was bound to label them "zombie" sooner or later. I still don't like them using that term tho.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Gotta love 2.35:1 ...
    No. . . no sir. . . I most definitely do NOT gotta love 2.35:1. . . .not one whit. . . good day sir!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    No. . . no sir. . . I most definitely do NOT gotta love 2.35:1. . . .not one whit. . . good day sir!!

You'll not only like it, but you'll love it ... *grabs 2.35:1 and starts mushing it into Clang's face*

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I'm guessing using the word "zombie" in a current Romero film is understandable cause of the timeline. It's prolly been a couple years since the outbreak and they have been labled "things" "creatures" "ghouls" "Stench", ect.
    Someone was bound to label them "zombie" sooner or later. I still don't like them using that term tho.
    It's not that far into an outbreak, I believe it's more around the Dawn of the Dead length of time - at the start of Dawn at least - i.e. a few weeks.

I did rather like the name "stenches" in Land, it was a new one on me.

Scotland
    How long do you think we'll wait for part 2 of 2? Or is it gonna be like the supposed series making-of clips from Diary, presented by the fat man, which ran for a grand total of one (1) episode?

United States
    I like the name Stenches too. But I also liked dumb f*cks from Day. And I liked "those... things" from Dawn.

How the characters refer to the zombies... ahem, ghouls... says a lot about the mindset of the characters.

Regarding the clip - on the one hand I'm glad for the background/exposition on their situation and thoughts. I *loved* that stuff in Day. On the other hand... please... "the problem with Eden is that there are snakes"??? How cliche and cheesy can you get? Admittedly, I did not watch the video. I only read the dialogue. So maybe the delivery softens the blows.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I like the name Stenches too. But I also liked dumb f*cks from Day. And I liked "those... things" from Dawn.

How the characters refer to the zombies... ahem, ghouls... says a lot about the mindset of the characters.

Regarding the clip - on the one hand I'm glad for the background/exposition on their situation and thoughts. I *loved* that stuff in Day. On the other hand... please... "the problem with Eden is that there are snakes"??? How cliche and cheesy can you get? Admittedly, I did not watch the video. I only read the dialogue. So maybe the delivery softens the blows.
    In the video he says: "problem with Eden..." long pause, lifts cigarette to mouth "is there are snakes". Just as he says "snakes", there is a crash of thunder outside, the light dies and we are plunged into darkness.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post

Imo, the term zombies attempts to classify them.

What I like about romero's early dead films is that (save for one reference by peter) no one really knows what these things are. There's a mystery about them. Whent the word zombie is used, in a way, it says this is what these things are.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    How long do you think we'll wait for part 2 of 2? Or is it gonna be like the supposed series making-of clips from Diary, presented by the fat man, which ran for a grand total of one (1) episode?
    lol, aye, I was looking to see if 2-of-2 had come out yet, but nope.

And yeah, there were only two Diary vlogs put up (I mean wtf), I was well looking forward to that at the time...ah well, at least the 2-disc R2 DVD with custom artwork was kick ass, even if the film was (for me) a let down ... a let down that I still liked, but a let down nonetheless.

Survival though - oh hell yes please.