Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, what movie's going to be #1 this weekend?

United States
    To each his own I guess..

I just don't find the man funny anymore, and I don't think those 4 films would change my mind either.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    To each his own I guess..

I just don't find the man funny anymore, and I don't think those 4 films would change my mind either.

Well if you haven't seen them, your stement doesn't hold much water now, does it?

I suggest you check "Life Aquatic" out. It will show you that he's still a comedic genious....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Well if you haven't seen them, your stement doesn't hold much water now, does it?

I suggest you check "Life Aquatic" out. It will show you that he's still a comedic genious....
    Oh my, I have to disagree with you on Life Aquatic......I would have named it Yawn Aquatic.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    Oh my, I have to disagree with you on Life Aquatic......I would have named it Yawn Aquatic.
    What didn't you like? That movie had me laughing from beginning to end.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    What didn't you like? That movie had me laughing from beginning to end.
    Well, it was your typical Hollywood "fun fest" with no real plot and a bunch of mindless, non-funny oneliners. Oh, and it had a predictable ending.
    There was only ONE scene that I thought was "decent" - the "following cast during rant" scene.

What About Bob,.....now, THAT was funny!!!!!

United States
    So, bassman, I guess i can't have an opinion about a particular actor unless i've seen every movie of theirs, eh? I'm sure you have opinions on actors and you haven't seen every single one of their movies either.

Whatever.

..and yeah, I agree with Adrenochrome - "What about Bob?" was funny as hell..

and it was released back in 1991.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Jun-2006 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So, bassman, I guess i can't have an opinion about a particular actor unless i've seen every movie of theirs, eh? I'm sure you have opinions on actors and you haven't seen every single one of their movies either.

Whatever.

..and yeah, I agree with Adrenochrome - "What about Bob?" was funny as hell..

and it was released back in 1991.
    No, I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion about the actor. I'm just saying that going around making statements like this:
    anything he did pre-1995 (hell, even pre-2000!) to anything he did after (and yes, i've seen some of his post-1995/2000 films)
    doesn't work unless you've actually seen the newer ones.

So basically what you're saying is that his older movies are great(obviously I agree with that) and his newer movies are horrible? Horrible and you haven't seen them? hmm...interesting.

United States

First, quote the whole sentence I posted:

Compare anything he did pre-1995 (hell, even pre-2000!) to anything he did after (and yes, i've seen some of his post-1995/2000 films).
    I think i've seen enough of his post-1995 films to have an opinion, just like I said. He does nothing for me anymore. I don't think I have to see his last four movies to realize he's lost his edge, becuase he lost it a lot earlier than that - in my opinion. Had any of these last four movie he made been some big "comeback" for Murray, I'm sure we would've all heard about it in reviews of the films. Funny thing is, that isn't the case.

Christ, give it a rest.

Dead

Undisclosed

What About Bob,.....now, THAT was funny!!!!!

I must agree with that one. That scene where he's eating the chicken and ticking off Richard Dreyfess always makes me laugh. But if I were to pick Bill Murray's best 4 movies for me they'd be Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Stripes, and Groundhog Day. To me those are his must-see movies.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04
    I must agree with that one. That scene where he's eating the chicken and ticking off Richard Dreyfess always makes me laugh. But if I were to pick Bill Murray's best 4 movies for me they'd be Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Stripes, and Groundhog Day. To me those are his must-see movies.
    I'd put these (these, being MY picks) in the proper order (#1 being the best) - (oh, and I have 6)

1. Where the Buffalo Roam
    2. Caddyshack
    3. What About Bob
    4. Stripes
    5. Ghotbusters (This is only here for a few reasons. mainly, this flick has some fantastic oneliners!!!)
    6. Groundhog Day

But, ya know?....these guys mellow out with age. Hell, look at Steve Martin! They did their time. Now, I guess, let them mature like wine.....they either get better or turn vinegar-y

First, quote the whole sentence I posted:

I think i've seen enough of his post-1995 films to have an opinion, just like I said. He does nothing for me anymore. I don't think I have to see his last four movies to realize he's lost his edge, becuase he lost it a lot earlier than that - in my opinion. Had any of these last four movie he made been some big "comeback" for Murray, I'm sure we would've all heard about it in reviews of the films. Funny thing is, that isn't the case.

Christ, give it a rest.
    I haven't seen anything from him that made me crack a smile since Bob or Groundhog.
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 16-Jun-2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dead

Undisclosed

But, ya know?....these guys mellow out with age. Hell, look at Steve Martin! They did their time. Now, I guess, let them mature like wine.....they either get better or turn vinegar-y
    I still live Steve Martin. Sure his last few movies have been disappointing but he has always been one of my favorites since I saw LA Story. To me he'll always be a wild and crazy guy, not the guy from Cheaper by the Dozen.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hell yes to "Zodiac" and "Clerks 2" bitch.

But would you really want a Ghostbusters 3? What would the subtitle be, "the heart bypass years"? Remember what Terminator 3 did to two incredible films? I'm kinda surprised Garfield 2 has come along (got quite a shock when I saw the back of this month's Total Film) and with Murray again no less! Needless to say the phrase "something for my kids/neice/nephew/grandkids can enjoy" will come up in an interview with him ... as he thinks about the money he got to sit in a booth and talk for a few hours, ha! Still, can't think of anyone better to voice that chubby old moggy - interestingly enough, the original voice of Garfield (Lorzeno Music) also voiced the cartoon version of Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters ... it's like six degrees of seperation (without the six) or industry incest (without the sloppy seconds)...

*ahem*

Out of that list, "Cars" will rope in big money. It's apparently by the numbers Pixar and the kids will LOVE it guaranteed. Family movies or ones you Americans can manage to get your kids in to see, always do the best business. I'm quite interested in seeing that "Over the Hedge" (or whatever it's called) - Bruce Willis is in it playing a Racoon or some other fuzzy, smiley critter. Bring on the adults-will-only-understand-that humour!

And Hellsing - you're thinking of "Hard Candy" ... yeh I wanna see that flick too, when you stick words like "disturbing" and "relentless" in your advert you're more than likely to arouse my curiosity.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Christ, give it a rest.
    Why are you taking it so personally, bub? Is this not what a message board is for?.....Debate.

Believe what you will....even if you have nothing to back up your statements

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    But would you really want a Ghostbusters 3? What would the subtitle be, "the heart bypass years"? Remember what Terminator 3 did to two incredible films?
    It was more of "In Training" type plot. The older Ghostbusters were going to train new ones. When the film was ALMOST made in the mid to late 90's, Aykroyd had basically already gotten Chris Farley to agree to do it. Along with a few others. It's a shame....I think it could have been a funny flick. And I don't think it would have hurt the original at all. "Ghostbusters 2" was basically the same as the first film only with minor details changed......At least the script for the third was totally different.

Super Moderator

UK
    GB2 was essentially catching up with our characters a while down the road, I really liked that aspect, cos you don't often see the 'narrative fallout' (I'd say) after the movie is finished - what happened next - I know movies have sequels, but it's different, know what I mean?

Hmmm...anyway, I didn't like the taste of Extreme Ghostbusters, no sir-ee, the third film is always the hardest, and after such a gap it'd be hard to come back. I'm glad they just had to leave it (I was certainly no Farley-fan), two perfect movies from back in the day, which still hold up as classics. Noiiice!

I have to say "Lost In Translation" was a superb movie and Murray was utterly fantastic in it ... and Scarlett Johansson was rather nice too.

While Murray's older movies are indeed classics, I still think the man's got it, Garfield yak-track included.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Jun-2006 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You ever seen "Coffee and Cigarettes"? His quick scene in the coffee shop with the guys from Wutang Clan(I think their names are RZA and GZA....or something like that). It's hilarious, man....