Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voyager near Solar System's edge

England
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Welcome to HPOTD.

All Trekkin' aside, what's the turnaround on the Voyager signal?

Asuming we find something out there, how long until we know?

The human adventure is just beginning...
    Currently 16 hours each way.

Oh, Lou, if we find "planet of the retards", it will be ripe for oil/mineral/resource rape, as they won't have thought of it, Hell, that would actually be really good, we'd soon see massive political will to get space exploration going properly (And if some aliens have to be cheated out of their rightful legacy and homeland for that to happen, well, it wouldn't be the first time we've done that sort of thing would it...).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Why does everyone assume whatever kind of beings we do come in contact with (if that ever happens) are going to be "more intelligent" than us? What happens if we end up discovering a planet of completely retarded aliens that eat their own dung?

It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

Oh, Lou, if we find "planet of the retards", it will be ripe for oil/mineral/resource rape, as they won't have thought of it, Hell, that would actually be really good, we'd soon see massive political will to get space exploration going properly (And if some aliens have to be cheated out of their rightful legacy and homeland for that to happen, well, it wouldn't be the first time we've done that sort of thing would it...).

Sorry for the juvenile sarcasm. Please continue.

United States
    NOW you're thinking more like me! Excellent idea, Legion!

Moon - your "juvenile sarcasm" ended up a red "X" - unacceptable. MUST. REPOST. JUVENILE. HUMOR. PICTURE.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Dec-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: BACON ALIENS!

United States
    Why does everyone assume whatever kind of beings we do come in contact with (if that ever happens) are going to be "more intelligent" than us? What happens if we end up discovering a planet of completely retarded aliens that eat their own dung?

It could happen.

NOW you're thinking more like me! Excellent idea, Legion!

Moon - your "juvenile sarcasm" ended up a red "X" - unacceptable. MUST. REPOST. JUVENILE. HUMOR. PICTURE.

Cheatin' bastards.

United States
    Much better, Moon. Much better.

United States
    The universe is either 6,000 or several several billion years old. The concept that any alien life form is even near to being the same level of advancement of us is insanely small. They are either going to be microbial, or god like and Omnipotent. Either way, I highly doubt they would care about the Voyager probe or things like that.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    The universe is either 6,000 or several several billion years old. The concept that any alien life form is even near to being the same level of advancement of us is insanely small. They are either going to be microbial, or god like and Omnipotent. Either way, I highly doubt they would care about the Voyager probe or things like that.
    What makes you see this in such black and white terms? If the universe is old and teeming with life, there could easily be civilisations at all stages of development...

I'm also sure that any civilisation would be interested in an alien probe turning up in it's space...curiosity is probably one of the single most important driving factors for any race that drags itself out of the mud and reaches for the stars.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Cooooool, I was wondering when it was going to happen. Can it not still send images back?
    I'm wondering if it will even make it out of the bubble.
    What if we're trapped?!?!?

Chasing Prey

Canada
    where's the speech by john from day when u need it.......

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    If we do discover life its more likely to be bacterial or insect or some non-sentient plant life or something...The idea that we're gonna meet hostile aliens is just a throwback from too many sci fi movies - the truth is that probe will NOT discover other life and neither will us - at least definitely not in the form of space travelling alien superbeings.

So many things have to happen for us to meet "them" - for instance "their" evolutionary process needs to be exactly in line with ours, their species will need to overcome all the things we've overcome and be top of a food chain, and they need to be within a reachable distance for their "technology" to reach us, and even if all that was met - they'd need to go to a very specific point in space to find planet Earth - and there's a lot of space out there. So completely unlikely.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    Speaking of spacecraft, i saw this in a bookshop yesterday which amused me

United States
    Everyone assumes that any alien race we encounter will be technologically superior and malevolent. I think, if anything, history has shown that humanity is very capable of being sinister, back stabbing, manipulative, and outright evil in its dealing with its OWN kind.

Imagine the qualities dealing with an alien (literal non-human) race could bring out in us!