Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old or new?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well the key point being that the profound social commentry in night and dawn just dosnt connect with the youth of today neil?
    I'm not entirely sold on all that "social commentary" malarkey you know. ie: I think people read too much into it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm not entirely sold on all that "social commentary" malarkey you know. ie: I think people read too much into it!
    I'm not either. you can read "social commentary" as Romero's personal bullshit (which we all have) just as easily.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    How did you guys find out/get copies of, the original trilogy?

United States
    That's an interesting statement? Do you think modern audiences can't connect with it/them? If so why?
    Ha, probably Night for being in black and white, and Dawn for being over the top 70's-ish and corny at times.
    Day would hold up well, methinks. But, then again, kids are weird as shit these days.

By the way, I put Land in there with the original trilogy. Sorry, but I do. More than with the two newer ones. I think time'll soften some of you hardasses on it.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    also, say for arguments sake, that these films were cult, could this mean that they're timeless, therefore appreciated by both older and modern audiences?

Undisclosed
    I have a fondness for the simpler zombie makeups in the older films. Just a gray base with a little black around the eyes & boom! You're a zombie.

I like all his films though, except for 'Survival.' Didn't really care for that one.
    'Looks like God left the phone off the hook, huh baby?'

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    By the way, I put Land in there with the original trilogy. Sorry, but I do. More than with the two newer ones. I think time'll soften some of you hardasses on it.
    Absolutely NEVER!! i will accept jessie j as a credible muscian before i accept land as a part of the original trilogy..

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    I have a fondness for the simpler zombie makeups in the older films. Just a gray base with a little black around the eyes & boom! You're a zombie.
    I sort of agree... At the end of the day, they're just humans who's hearts have stopped. There's no reason they should roar like raptors and have funny eyes!? After months of course they will start to rott, but until then, they'd almost look just like us.

I hate it when as soon as a person becomes a zombie they look all 'zombified'!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    They've been sitting on video store shelves for a couple of decades now.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's an interesting statement? Do you think modern audiences can't connect with it/them? If so why?
    Just in my personal life i've noticed that many people don't know of Romero's trilogy. Other than Night, of course. I think everyone knows Night because it's always on TV. It's not so much that they don't connect(which i'm sure is sometimes the case as well), but they just haven't seen the trilogy.

Even on the internet i've noticed that some fans of the genre haven't even seen the trilogy. I'm a member of a forum dedicated to The Walking Dead and it's astonishing how many people visit and say they love the zombie genre but have never seen Night, Dawn, and Day. How can you be a fan of the genre and have never seen the holy trilogy?!?

-- -------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottep View Post
    I had seen Night on television throughout my younger years. Then when I was a preteen my brother worked at a video store and brought home a VHS of Day based on a fellow employee's recommendation. I was hooked from the first scene and it's been one of my all time favorite films ever since. I immediately set out to get good copies of Night and Dawn, but at the time Dawn was kinda hard to come by because it was out of print. I think I eventually paid about 75 bucks for the "Warhol" DVD, only to hear the announcement of the UE collection a few years later.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Apr-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlottep View Post
    It was the first VHS tape/film I ever hired out (mid 80s). I loved apocalyptic films so the description caught my attention... The film blew me away!

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/dawn/
    -Carl Sagan