Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: coolest dvd root menu?

Super Moderator

UK
    I acquired a movie a while back which had that warning on it, funniest thing I'd seen all that week.

*laughs like Sid James*

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ug, tell me about it...trailers or anti-piracy "you wouldn't steal a car" (er, bit of a difference there, mate ) adverts, that you can't skip. If you can skip, that's not too bad, sometimes it's nice to see some trailers, but the anti-piracy one is still gheay with it's thumping music and 'uncool for trying to look cool' style.

And yes, those warnings in a variety of different lingos that you can't skip - F*CK OFF!!!

I hate all that sh*t, especially the standard "doesn't express our views, please don't sue us!!!" disclaimer - PISS OFF, WE KNOW ALREADY!!! PUT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!
    The goofiest thing I've ever seen at the beinging of a movie was two guys standing in front of a car telling me not to worry, the black bars on the top and bottom of my screen are suppost to be there. What the hell was the name of that movie??
    Last edited by twistbud; 28-Mar-2007 at 01:54 AM.

capncnut
    I guess one of the coolest root menus is the Nine Inch Nails concert And All That Could Have Been. The menus and music change everytime you hit a feature and return to it. And I don't know how many menus there are on it but after mucking around with it for a few minutes, I was still getting different ones. Some were even merging together!

Super Moderator

UK
    Twist - hehe, I liked that bit too ... and there are people out there who would actually need that explanation, rather than just enjoy it ... and that's a scary thought, but then again, it explains why Pan & Scan was so popular.

I like menus like those on the An Evening With Kevin Smith DVDs, just a bunch of stuff happening so you can sit there for ages watching it. Ooh - the menu for The Adam & Joe DVD, lots of them talking over it with silly voices, their little compositions and suchlike, so that made for entertaining menu viewing.

The Bo Selecta DVDs had the same thing as well, lots of characters coming on doing skits and saying things and such, went on for ages, so it's like even more free content.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    and that's a scary thought, but then again, it explains why Pan & Scan was so popular.
    I absolutely hate pan & scan. I refuse to ever watch a film in pan and scan again(unless it's on the tube, of course). I first "got" the idea of the difference of widescreen and pan and scan when I bought "Ghostbusters"(which you know I'm a huge fan of) and realized that there were jokes on the side of the screen that I had been missing for 15+ years!

That and some of my "007" films actually have a picture in the booklets that display the normal widescreen ratio and then a red box within that shows the size of full screen.

I know that if I were a director, I would never want anyone to see my film in pnd and scan.

capncnut
    I bought the Ghostbusters DVD ages ago and I still haven't got around to seeing it yet. Tut-tut.

Hey, Chasing Prey!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    I bought the Ghostbusters DVD ages ago and I still haven't got around to seeing it yet. Tut-tut.

Hey, Chasing Prey!
    Dem's killin words round deez parts. ::spits::

Super Moderator

UK
    *ug* I know, Pan & Scan sucks teabagging balls alright. I still watch some of my old videos that were mostly all Pan & Scan, and sometimes it's done alright, but other times/moments it's so paintfully obvious now.

The first short film I made for BBC Local TV last year I shot in 4:3 as that was what they originally asked for, then they wanted 16x9 so I cropped the image myself to fit that size, THEN the bastards went and re-cropped it to 4:3 again!!! The quality of the image was much reduced as you're 'zooming in' on the section, and the original compositions were all messed up as a result, I was pissed off...the laymen wouldn't notice, but I saw it all, and it was a really pain in the dick, I tell ya. I hate Pan & Scan ... and in my case, it was all Scan with no Pan.

Two half faces on each edge of the screen with a vast, yawning chasm of space in between on a 4:3 image ... how could anyone think that is right?

And I hate it because it makes the director/DOP/cinematographer look like a complete incompetent dildo.

England
    Shaun of the dead has awesome menus!at least the UK one does anyway,dont know if the US one is the same?

capncnut
    Yeah, I have to admit that they did a good job with the Shaun DVD.

Super Moderator

UK
    One thing that pissed me off about the Shaun DVD was the sudden clap of thunder when you open up the main DVD window ... always pisses me off, it's too loud too quick, and it's EVERY TIME you access that window...so that pisses me off.

And also, once you've selected a commentary, it would be nice if there was a 'play film' button on that menu rather than going back to that bloody thunder clap again.

Other than that, fine and dandy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had to share this with you guys since you're talking about the "Shaun" DVD.

I was over on another board that I frequent, Joblo.com, when I came across a thread titled "Movies you would like to see in the future". As I scrolled down, I came across one that would be a sequel for Shaun assuming that they would ever make one with the remaining cast, etc.......

"Night of the Living Ed"

It may seem cheesey to you, but I thought it was a brilliant idea.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    "Night of the Living Ed"

It may seem cheesey to you, but I thought it was a brilliant idea.
    Naw, sounds great to me
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Aguirre the Wrath of God is my favorite DVD menu....

I once left it running for like a week straight in my room ....very hypnotic to me.....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... a sequel to Shaun? Hmmm...not sure about that, perhaps one of those things just best left alone for fear of ruining it...but they had an idea, perhaps just a title - "From Dusk Till Shaun" ... not sure if that was at all serious though.