Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My plan for the mall

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    What's funny and sad at the same time is that most puerto ricans my age from ny don't even speak spanish. Ron simmons is that black wrestler dude right?

yea that's ron simmons.

United States
    So what exactly is the weather like in dream land?

You have a great idea about painting the doors and windows to the mall black to see if the zombies would stop coming in but you see the fatal flaw of glass doors to a mall is that they aren't unbreakable. They're just hard to break. You can put any number of things to make it hard to open the doors but if you manage to shatter or break the glass it basically makes any lock or whatever look silly.

Not knowing how well equipped the hardware store is i'd say if they had enough cement I would actually try to create a cement barrier between any openings to the exterior and the interior. Because they had lumber with which to create a false wall I'm going to presume they also had concrete.

Additionally its a terrific idea to stock pile everything from the gun store in the penthouse in order to pick off zombies or any possible intruders from the safety of the roof top.

Something that people dont seem to take into consideration is that during riots and raids whoever does the dirty work is likely to burn down and fully destroy any place once they are done taking what they want. This is a behavior that is not only evident in history (look at the la riots) but also is evident in the movies... they bashed in the counters... shot through stuff... virtually destroyed everything they didn't steal.

Now because they had access to a car (a crappy one though it may be) they would have been well advised to stock it up while it was in the mall and then park it outisde before fortifying the mall... once it was parked outside they should've filled gas tanks from the hardware store (with gas from the semi trucks), and built some kind of trailer to tow behind it if possible or a cargo rack on top perhaps to give them an alternative to taking the whirlybird. Thats a necessity because hey... what if the helicopter stopped working? People who fly the helicopter aren't always as adept at fixing 'em. Same thing goes for cars. You can man it but who said you know how to fix it?

With sufficient ammo and slow moving zombies it wouldn't be too hard to take a small car like the one they had in the mall to a place of safety. Their biggest obstacle isn't the zombies so much as anyone who had more manpower and better weapons who may want to rob and shoot you pirate style.

Just my $1.10
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Now because they had access to a car (a crappy one though it may be) they would have been well advised to stock it up while it was in the mall and then park it outisde before fortifying the mall... once it was parked outside they should've filled gas tanks from the hardware store (with gas from the semi trucks), and built some kind of trailer to tow behind it if possible or a cargo rack on top perhaps to give them an alternative to taking the whirlybird. Thats a necessity because hey... what if the helicopter stopped working? People who fly the helicopter aren't always as adept at fixing 'em. Same thing goes for cars. You can man it but who said you know how to fix it?

That's a good idea. I've had a similar one,n but it involved having one of the trucks on standby all stocked and fueled. I think that would work better because you could stock the truck with a whole bunch of things and it would be better in terms of running over and through a few hundred ghouls that were in your way. They also could even stock extra fuel in the back of the truck also.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    So what exactly is the weather like in dream land?

You have a great idea about painting the doors and windows to the mall black to see if the zombies would stop coming in but you see the fatal flaw of glass doors to a mall is that they aren't unbreakable. They're just hard to break. You can put any number of things to make it hard to open the doors but if you manage to shatter or break the glass it basically makes any lock or whatever look silly.

Not knowing how well equipped the hardware store is i'd say if they had enough cement I would actually try to create a cement barrier between any openings to the exterior and the interior. Because they had lumber with which to create a false wall I'm going to presume they also had concrete.

Additionally its a terrific idea to stock pile everything from the gun store in the penthouse in order to pick off zombies or any possible intruders from the safety of the roof top.

Something that people dont seem to take into consideration is that during riots and raids whoever does the dirty work is likely to burn down and fully destroy any place once they are done taking what they want. This is a behavior that is not only evident in history (look at the la riots) but also is evident in the movies... they bashed in the counters... shot through stuff... virtually destroyed everything they didn't steal.

With sufficient ammo and slow moving zombies it wouldn't be too hard to take a small car like the one they had in the mall to a place of safety. Their biggest obstacle isn't the zombies so much as anyone who had more manpower and better weapons who may want to rob and shoot you pirate style.

Just my $1.10
    havent u ever seen aliens? u can weld pieces of metal to something and make a barrier with ease. sheet metal stops all problems. at least a gang of hairy morons on tricycles. fairly easy to do really. BTW, its 75 and sunny

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You also have to remember that sealing it up too tight could create a fire hazzard. It might be bad if the only exit was through the apartment.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    its just the doors. they really need to seal all the exits air tight except for one. so if the raiders check 2 exits and then cant get in,maybe they'd go away. for sure totally seal off the big bay entrance.

United States
    I thought about driving a semi truck to safety too because of the advantage of the storage ability but you have to consider in the equation a few things... while the semi trucks come typically with two tires at each interval it would be great because if one goes flat you have a backup... but the amount of gas they require just to fill the tank let alone to have backup is A LOT... and of course the more weight you pack into the truck the faster the gas supply is used up which would create a dangerous situation... another dangerous situation would be taking the smaller less populated roads would mean they may not clear all the bridges/overpasses/etc.

The tiny car on the other hand would use less gas, be more shifty to move around zombies (running them over all the time could create serious problems for tires, suspension, etc I imagine, and it would be less noticeable because it would make less noise.

Sealing it up would create a fire hazard no doubt but by leaving it open for a possible attack the attackers could easily set it on fire as well. I'd rather take my chances that I may start a fire because the odds are i'd be less likely to set one than the looters.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are pros and cons to every plan really. I think supplies are important because you don't know how far you would actually have to go to get to the next safe zone.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    its just the doors. they really need to seal all the exits air tight except for one. so if the raiders check 2 exits and then cant get in,maybe they'd go away. for sure totally seal off the big bay entrance.

There's no way in hell a raider would leave a fully-stocked mall because the entrances are blocked. If someone build a cement wall behind the glass doors, who's to say raiders just wouldn't drive one of the trucks through it?

I don't think there's any way to really keep those bastards out, unless you shot them all from the roof top, but you're bound to miss a few that will no doubt be very anxious to get a hold of you.

I'd stock the apartment, put up a fake wall in front of a cement wall to hide its existence. Perhaps arrange a secondary store of supplies in one of the stores upstairs....put a brick wall in front of that, maybe put up one of those "Coming Soon" displays to hide the brick wall, fooling the raiders into thinking nothing was in there.

Stocking, gassing and maintaining one of those 18-wheelers outside would be a real bitch to accomplish

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    There's no way in hell a raider would leave a fully-stocked mall because the entrances are blocked. If someone build a cement wall behind the glass doors, who's to say raiders just wouldn't drive one of the trucks through it?

I don't think there's any way to really keep those bastards out, unless you shot them all from the roof top, but you're bound to miss a few that will no doubt be very anxious to get a hold of you.

I'd stock the apartment, put up a fake wall in front of a cement wall to hide its existence. Perhaps arrange a secondary store of supplies in one of the stores upstairs....put a brick wall in front of that, maybe put up one of those "Coming Soon" displays to hide the brick wall, fooling the raiders into thinking nothing was in there.

Stocking, gassing and maintaining one of those 18-wheelers outside would be a real bitch to accomplish
    cement wall and welded sheet metal would do the same job. im talking about floor to ceiling welding,not just the doors. the cinder blocks aint a bad idea either. maybe both? very good idea about the coming soon thing. great minds think alike

United States
    Well if there's a cement wall and they would have to relent to driving a truck through it simply keep watch and shoot out the tires of any oncoming traffic... it would force them into walking their way to the mall through the zombies (which they obviously and ill-fatedly didn't see as a threat) and then they'd be forced on foot to attack the mall... which they'd be hard pressed to do with my mad shooting skills

Dead

Undisclosed
    Well if there's a cement wall and they would have to relent to driving a truck through it simply keep watch and shoot out the tires of any oncoming traffic... it would force them into walking their way to the mall through the zombies (which they obviously and ill-fatedly didn't see as a threat) and then they'd be forced on foot to attack the mall... which they'd be hard pressed to do with my mad shooting skills
    Rambo, if a huge wave of bikers were to lead a mass attack on the mall, I'm sure even you're shooting skills wouldn't be enough. Maybe if you dug a thirty foot moat around the mall and surrounded it by fifty yards of landmines, you might be able to keep them out! Bottom line is that you're not going to keep a renegade group that has no regard for your life or theirs out without killing every damned one. And you're not going to do that with three people (one whose immobilized by a pregnancy).They'll find a way, they're scavengers. If they got frustrated enough, they'd probably just burn the mall so you'd get nothing as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    cement wall and welded sheet metal would do the same job. im talking about floor to ceiling welding,not just the doors. the cinder blocks aint a bad idea either. maybe both? very good idea about the coming soon thing. great minds think alike
    I think that's a good idea, it would keep the survivors focused and conscience of the conditions on the outside. Keep their hands and minds busy.

But, I think the effectiveness of any kind of wall would be defeated by whatever the raiders had in their arsenal. Lets say they were able to get into a National Guard arsenal or god knows what else along the way. They'd definately have the materials to get through any defense or obsticle. They'd probably pose even more of a threat to the survivors in that respect. Blowup the helicopter, plant charges in the mall after they raided it, etc.
    Last edited by jim102016; 22-Jun-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Chasing Prey

Canada
    this all points back to fly boy being an idiot,frankly. if they had never gave him a gun, they woulda made it though the raiders lil five finger discount sale.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Rambo, if a huge wave of bikers were to lead a mass attack on the mall, I'm sure even you're shooting skills wouldn't be enough. Maybe if you dug a thirty foot moat around the mall and surrounded it by fifty yards of landmines, you might be able to keep them out! Bottom line is that you're not going to keep a renegade group that has no regard for your life or theirs out without killing every damned one. And you're not going to do that with three people (one whose immobilized by a pregnancy).They'll find a way, they're scavengers. If they got frustrated enough, they'd probably just burn the mall so you'd get nothing as well!

I think that's a good idea, it would keep the survivors focused and conscience of the conditions on the outside. Keep their hands and minds busy.

But, I think the effectiveness of any kind of wall would be defeated by whatever the raiders had in their arsenal. Lets say they were able to get into a National Guard arsenal or god knows what else along the way. They'd definately have the materials to get through any defense or obsticle. They'd probably pose even more of a threat to the survivors in that respect. Blowup the helicopter, plant charges in the mall after they raided it, etc.

Well we already know they had grenades. I think that they had no regard for the mall or the people in it. a wall wouldn't be that much of a deterent unless they were interested in keeping the place intact which they obviously weren't.

Fueling up a getaway truck would have been tough, yes, but no more as tough as the mission was to block the entrances. The bottom line is that they didn't have a back up plan for escaping. Fran made a great observation in that someone else besides stephen needed to learn to fly in case something happened to him. They failed to take that logic one step further. What if they chopper broke down? it's very possible and what then?

United States
    You can't take fuel out of a truck to put into a car...different types of gasoline involved there. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to leave a fully fuled truck pulled into the inside of the truck well with some supplies in it as an emergency, back up, all else has failed kind of plan. I have driven blox trucks before and they suck thru gas like no one's business! If there were only light supplies in it thou, youd be better off due to less gas consumption. They should have locked up the truck place and cleared it of zombies so they could always grab another truck there if need be. A decent fall back position...thanks to Day, we know zombies are confounded by chainlink fences and that place should have been surrounded by one. Think of Ryder Truck places, their trucks are kept locked up in a secure area.
    A good fall back position would have been the supermarket in the same parking lot as the mall! Talk about a short trip and plenty of supplies! It was clearly locked up, so it should have been fairly safe to secure for a fall back position. No one has ever mentioned that (that I know of).
    About the doors to the mall, I wouldn't have even bothered trying to cement anything! Just grab the most solid wood you have access to and make a barrier at each door way. Park the cars in the mall against them as added weight to the barriers. Save cinder block and cement for behind the fake wall to the penthouse. Even if the mall fell to ****, you can always stay up there for quiet a while!
    As for the raiders setting fire to the place, as long as the mall had power, the sprinkler system would have helpled to put it out. At the very least, keep it contained until you could properly deal with it.
    Just my two cents...