Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another indication there is something wrong with society at the moment...

United States
    I'm the first person in a group to say the worlds doomed... errr my personality is such that i'd be likely to be the first person... of course i'm not chicken little I'm more like the worlds doomed but i'm here to save it... Yesterday at work some lady came hobbling in bent over and barely able to walk... she must've walked past 15 of my coworkers but I'm the one who grabs a chair sits her down and then runs to the office to get a wheelchair and takes her around the store in it. Apparently she wretched her back and oddly came in to purchase stuff anyway but hey... People see someone suffering and in pain and its like they'll all point and stare but wtf? Heaven forbid you try to ease someone elses suffering.

I wouldn't be shocked if the world was doomed but I know there's a few worthy citizens working to end it. It could be a waste of time but its the hope that its not that keeps you going and keeps you doing good.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if the world was doomed but I know there's a few worthy citizens working to end it. It could be a waste of time but its the hope that its not that keeps you going and keeps you doing good.
    MJ, I don't always agree with everything you say, but I do know that you live by a code of honor that I respect. In that regard you are one of those very few that I am sure would not stand there and watch someone abuse a helpless person.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    I dont want to be like everyone else I have to be better... morally at least... its so easy to be good to people I dont get how people dont find it literally painful to watch and not do anything... when I can't help someone it kills me I never forget it and it pains me for weeks and months and even years ... I just dont get it how do people live with themselves for not helping others... I can barely live with myself and I give everything to help people
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Kazakhstan
    mate the world isnt doomed, think about it, we enjoy more peace, liberty and freedom than we ever have before in the history of humanity.

look at the great war, ww2, cuban missile crisis etc - the world went to the brink of all out carnage then, but managed to pull back.

less than 25 years after the holocaust we were walking on the moon and watching colour tv!
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    The fact that a crowd watched this woman get abused makes me sick!

Not too long ago there was a tragic case here in Los Angeles where a preeteen girl and her brother were forced into an SUV by her unbalanced father who then doused the car with gasoline and set it on fire. Both children were killed. This incident too was witnessed by a crowd of people who stood by and watched and did nothing. Later they were all interviewed by a tv reporter, and appeared very happy to recount the gruesome details of what had occured.

Often, I think about the group dynamic whenever I see someone pushing a disabled car down the street. If no one steps up to assist the guy pushing the car, then the driver will be alone in the street. But have one person step up then suddenly other "samaritans" appear and jump in to help.

So in these situations, maybe it only takes one person to go out on a limb and intercede in order to get the group moving.

If this is the case, then we should all resolve to be that one person who can singlehandedly turn the tide and shake the crowd out of inaction. Maybe the world is doomed, maybe it isn't but without taking action we are all but resigning ourselves to being helpless to do anything about it. In this regard, without taking decisive action it inevitably becomes our fault that the world is doomed.
    Wow! Quite profound
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    people just dont like to stadn out in a crowd and do something, i dunno why, fear of being a target or something, but its nuts.

case in point, at christmas last year i whent into a department store adn a guy in his 50's slipped on the floor which was damp from snow at the entracne, i was walking in behind him, he slipped and fell and a fully decorated tree fell upon him, i ran up to get the tree off adn help the guy up, hes a little embarressed, thanks me adn hurries off. i look around and everyone, including the staff are standing there looking at me like I'M the person with a problem. for helping someone up when they fell.

thats pretty much a metaphor for humanity nowadays.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    mate the world isnt doomed, think about it, we enjoy more peace, liberty and freedom than we ever have before in the history of humanity.

look at the great war, ww2, cuban missile crisis etc - the world went to the brink of all out carnage then, but managed to pull back.

less than 25 years after the holocaust we were walking on the moon and watching colour tv!
    I agree that there have been great technological advances made, and I do not know if people in general are more or less humane than they were previously. Still sometimes I do wonder if society is still in asendency or in it's decline. For all our sakes, I hope that we are not stuck in the fall!
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland

well now...

yes this guy is a disgustin piece of crap and it should have never happened but thats how sick people are.... oh and i have been urinated on before... not fun

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! Quite profound
    Thanks brother, nice of you to say that.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowofthedead View Post
    oh and i have been urinated on before... not fun
    It's all in the eye of the beholder

PS--Lovely sentiments by Yojimbo and clear headed commentary by Liam!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 02-Nov-2007 at 09:40 AM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Three things,
    1) This guy is a piece of **** that deserves to be thrown into a corral full of Romero zombies (if such existed) with both his legs broken.

2) Everyone who watched is only slightly less guilty, bullet to the head for each for pissing in the gene pool.

3) The world is SO doomed. Those great technological advances you speak of? THOSE are what makes it possible for an equally deranged mind to blow up AN ENTIRE COURTHOUSE all by his lonesome.

Simple equation. = Amount of Deranged people relative to the % of Deranged people there have always been + vastly more powerful chemicals/tools available to any moron who can fake an application for = Doom