Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    Why do people hate LOTD? Same reason they hated Day when it first came out, Its not Dawn. Land Of The Dead is a good movie. Big Daddy bothers me and always did. But, the whole concept and the interesting take on zombie infested afterlife is beautiful. Im happy with it. Plus, it wasn't a non-studio film which factors in on things like style and content. I was hoping for a film that looked and felt like 28 Days Later because the way that movie was done was utter brilliance. But, Land is a great horror film compared to to **** like TCM :The Beginning and All these dumbed up Americanized versions of good Japanese horror films. But i must say, The Devil's Rejects was the best horror movie to come out last year. But, Land is a close second. Wolf Creek was pretty good too.. Im rambling... lol

It wasn't a flop. It made alot of money. And hes always used political satire. And I think that if thiat **** ever happened, thats the life would be after it all happened. Some Nazi-Conservo would take over and control our lives using money. Like **** is now. Plus, he wrote that script before 9-11 so, its not like he based the whole thing off of trying to make a statement. LOTD has a good screenplay, good effects, good characters, a good atmosphere.. I mean all in all, you can't complain.

Dont take my disagreeing with you personally.

It was a flop IMO, it was a sub par movie. It wasnt Dawn thats for sure. but I dont think Dawn was the best Zombie film GAR made either. I think Day was superior to all 4.

GAR in his old forgetful age has forgotten how to scare people and make good movies. He used to make movies to make movies, now he makes them to make some inane point. This is why Land was inferior to the other 3 films. It was hokey and kind of obvious. I felt like I was being lectured to, not let into some creepy apoc style world.

capncnut
    I'm quite happy with it actually. I kept an open mind with Land so I wasn't terribly disappointed by it. I really liked the way GAR progressed the learning with the zombies and thought the whole Fiddler's Green concept was cool. I do agree that some sequences were a bit too cheesy for my liking, ie; machine gun severing the head and Big Daddy stomping on it etc but there's no way I will be encouraged into thinking that this film is crap. No way! Some of GAR's coolest scenes were in this film; the zombies crossing the water, Big Daddy's dealing with Kaufman and the entire beginning sequence all stand out to me. Just because GAR has made an average film doesn't mean we should flog him for it and abandon the chapter he worked so hard to complete. I appreciate the fact that he at least had a stab and tried to progress the story intelligently without walking backwards. Everybody has the right to free speech but if anyone slagged off Land in this thread then I have one thing to say, "let's see if you can do any better!"
    Last edited by capncnut; 19-Oct-2006 at 12:30 AM.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnSpaulding View Post
    I'm quite happy with it actually. I kept an open mind with Land so I wasn't terribly disappointed by it. I really liked the way GAR progressed the learning with the zombies and thought the whole Fiddler's Green concept was cool. I do agree that some sequences were a bit too cheesy for my liking, ie; machine gun severing the head and Big Daddy stomping on it etc but there's no way I will be encouraged into thinking that this film is crap. No way! Some of GAR's coolest scenes were in this film; the zombies crossing the water, Big Daddy's dealing with Kaufman and the entire beginning sequence all stand out to me. Just because GAR has made an average film doesn't mean we should flog him for it and abandon the chapter he worked so hard to comlete. I appreciate the fact that he at least had a stab and tried to progress the story intelligently without walking backwards. Everybody has the right to free speech but if anyone slagged off Land in this thread then I have one thing to say, "let's see if you can do any better!"
    Wether or not someone can do better is irrelevant. I dont have to be a food critic to know that I dont like the flavor of something disgusting. Likewise I dont have to be a famous and accomplished director to know that a film is crap, medicore or really good.

capncnut
    It's all down to personal taste I guess but c'mon! People are talking about this movie like it's the worst one ever made - how stupid, the movie is FAR from awful! GAR needs pure support right now...

United States
    My response to this is my response to everyone that says a mainstream zombie movie is "God-awful".

Ask yourself one question:

Is it worse than Contagium?

'Nuff said.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Undisclosed
    well, day was a huge flop too but that doesn't mean it isn't a good film. and copme on, it did open right in the middle of summer with movies like batman begins, war of the worlds, star wars, etc. land should have waited until the original october date. i think it was a flop at the box office because it was released in the middle of the summer. i think making 50 million on a low budget zombie film isn't a flop. they only had like 1/3 of dawn's budget. like 10 - 15 million. so, i wouldn't consider it a flop at all.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    well, day was a huge flop too but that doesn't mean it isn't a good film. and copme on, it did open right in the middle of summer with movies like batman begins, war of the worlds, star wars, etc. land should have waited until the original october date. i think it was a flop at the box office because it was released in the middle of the summer. i think making 50 million on a low budget zombie film isn't a flop. they only had like 1/3 of dawn's budget. like 10 - 15 million. so, i wouldn't consider it a flop at all.
    A summer release is always better. They call them summer blockbusters because thats when theater attendence is at its height since all the kids are out of school. There was no excuse for its pitiful showing, I saw it the night it was released as did my 2 brothers. I also saw Batman and all that around the same week or whatever when they were all open. I doubt most people would choose only 1 film to see. Moat of us just see them all.

The fact that Land did so poorly reflects more on 2 things.

1. Its horror. Lets face it horror doesnt do as well in the box as most film types.

2. The reasons I mentioned before about this being too hokey and people not wanting to be preached to by an aging liberal.

As well as we should also ay that its not worth comparing days box office numbers to Lands, Day was an under budgeted movie with no name actors that was barely in the theaters. Land was a major movie production with a lot of money and big studio time behind it.

Undisclosed
    i disagree, the big blockbusters are what people go to see. and horror isn't considered a big blockbuster. same thing has happened to movies like clerks 2 and the devil's rejects. good movies with big followings but, lack-luster box office results. hell, romero states that that was big reason for its dissapointment at the box office. thats why it blew up on dvd. it was on the top 5 most wanted list at my blockbuster. cuz it came out around halloween. and i disagree with ur belief that land is farenheit 9/11 with zombies. romero just looked at how things are going now and did the exact same thing hes done in the past. and i think his message behind it, really interested people in the fact that, there's more to it than just a stupid zombie movie. it tells or continues a story. but, if you watch it, it makes me wish that romero did resident evil. cuz there are shots, scenes, etc. that are just so resident evil-esque that it saddens me that the resident evil movies are how they are now. i mean, dennis hopper is super conservative and it was his idea to play kaufman as a rumsfeld type character. he even undestands that if it did happen, thats how the world would be run. by a money hungry conservo.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Land was a major movie production with a lot of money and big studio time behind it.
    Out of all the gripes I do have with Land, that's probably the biggest one!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Wether or not someone can do better is irrelevant. I dont have to be a food critic to know that I dont like the flavor of something disgusting. Likewise I dont have to be a famous and accomplished director to know that a film is crap, medicore or really good.

*sniffs*-you could just have **** taste in films.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    *sniffs*-you could just have **** taste in films.
    Well I am on a GAR Zombie based website discussing his work...

United States
    I doubt most people would choose only 1 film to see. Moat of us just see them all.
    That's funny. My husband and I (and all our friends with kids) are lucky if we see 1-2 movies in the theater all year. I only got to see Land in theaters cause I skipped out on work and went to the matinee while my son was still in school.

As to the thread... I liked Land, flaws and all. Where the movie sometimes sagged, I thought the soundtrack perfectly conveyed all things zombie. Plus I thought Charlie was hilarious.
    A penny for the old guy.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Graebel View Post
    I thought Charlie was hilarious.
    Robert Joy STOLE that movie methinks.

Super Moderator

UK
    Robert Joy rocked balls in Land, he was my favourite character in the film.

Minerva:

Clerks 2 - budget: $5 million, current gross $24+ million ... factor in the up-coming DVD and all the related merchandise and it's far lacklustre, especially when Smith is known for his consistent, roughly $30 million box office.

The Devil's Rejects - budget: $7 million, gross of almost $17 million - then add in DVD sales, and again, not a bad turn out - especially for a horror movie with an incredibly niche audience - add on the fact it's one sick and twisted movie and it's even more of a surprise.

Land of the Dead only bombed box-office wise in America because the morons at Universal released it in summer box office madness season and pitted a Halloween movie against superheroes blowing sh*t up. Land was released in Europe much later, Britain for example was lagging in last on September 23rd, and it did rather nicely ... with DVD sales too.

Just wanted to be pedantic and annoying...

United States

50th Viewing

I saw Land Of The Dead twice in theatres and have watched it many times at home. I just finished watching it again about half an hour ago, and I'm finally begining to apreciate the film in the same way that I apreciate the older ones. When I first saw it, I couldn't get past the name actors, the film was a bit too flashy. It's similar to when a religious organization tries to make a fast paced movie or a drama and they get a bunch of goody church people trying to act like bad guys by pretending to smoke and say "Hell" or "Damn" once. They're too nice and proper, you can see right through it. But I've seen Land enough now that I'm begining to see the characters instead of the actors. Rather than portraying different characters, the big name actors often end up just looking the same person going through different situations. Julia Roberts and Christopher Walken come to mind rather quickly though I love them both! (You're gonna want that cow bell!)

Interesting factoid, the guy who played Cholo's buddy (I can't remember his name) the guy who said "Next time would you just let me take f*cking shot?" He was in a series of "End Of The World" films put out by some preachers indy movie company. He played William Speeno. I DO NOT agree with the ideology presented in those movies but they are kind of interesting if you can get past the really obviouse preaching. I picked up the second installment "Revelation" because it had Jeff Fahey in it. I thought they'd get better but the later films resorted to old school actors like Morgot Kidder (Lois Lane!), Gary Busey, and believe it or not, Mr. T and Howie Mandel?! (sigh) I think I would have cast Land with an actor like Jeff Fahey and then a bunch of no-names. But I do think Asia, Simon, Robert, and Dennis were surprisingly good together.

As far as George being liberal, hmmm..... I consider myself to be pretty conservative but I agree with GAR on most of the ideas he presents.

I think I'd agree that what hurt the film the most was the time of release. Even when Star Wars came out, theatre attendance was reportedly at an all time low. I would think it would have been wiser to maximize the effect of the genre by waiting until Halloween season to release the flick. Just My Humble Opinion :-)
    xxxopher
    -There's Always Another Level-
    www.xxxopher.com