Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving Night

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    to be totally blunt and honest,it may seem far fetched but apparently if u open all ur windows and ur by a twister,ur house is spared a lot of times because theres no pressure build up

True, but doesn't help much if a tree or combine is thrown into the house, which happened to my grandfather's place. The same storm leveled a couple of outbuildings with open doorways and windows. Those were not built to the standards of a house, however.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by wyvern1096 View Post
    True, but doesn't help much if a tree or combine is thrown into the house, which happened to my grandfather's place. The same storm leveled a couple of outbuildings with open doorways and windows. Those were not built to the standards of a house, however.
    yea but thats a TREE. not a twister

Undisclosed
    to be totally blunt and honest,it may seem far fetched but apparently if u open all ur windows and ur by a twister,ur house is spared a lot of times because theres no pressure build up
    Q: We had a discussion over dinner tonight about tornado safety. Two opinions were expressed:

* Leave all windows open to prevent them from breaking
    * Leave all windows closed to keep pressure from building against the roof of the structure.

Can you supply some information that would settle this discussion?

A: The second choice, leaving the windows closed, is the correct answer for the reason you give.

The first choice used to be the standard advice for tornadoes, but it was proven wrong years ago. (The reason for this old, wrong advice was not to keep the windows from being broken, but to "equalize the pressure" inside and outside the building.)

Last spring we published a story on how the 1979 Wichita Falls, Texas, tornado led to changes to tornado safety rules, including the one about opening windows as a twister approached. (Related story: 1979 Texas tornado led to safety changes)

The old theory was that the drop in air pressure as a tornado hit a building caused the higher pressure inside to push the walls out - to make the building "explode."

Instead, researchers who studied the Wichita Falls tornado damage realized that wind blowing into open, or broken, windows pushes up on the roof. At the same time, wind blowing over the roof is making it act like an airplane wing that generates a lifting force. If the roof lifts off, the walls can fall outward, making it look like the building exploded.

On the right side of the page with the Wichita Falls story you'll find links to a lot of information about tornadoes, including safety rules.

I live in the lad of twisters and we don't open windows...of course I have a bomb shelter though.

Undisclosed

Sorry Ace, but this is absolutely untrue!! This used to be the general way of thinking but this theory has been disproven in recent years. It is much more dangerous to leave windows open than to close them....

Yeah, what he said above ^^^^^
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post
    Sorry Ace, but this is absolutely untrue!! This used to be the general way of thinking but this theory has been disproven in recent years. It is much more dangerous to leave windows open than to close them....

Yeah, what he said above ^^^^^
    so even though my high school's roof was ripped off by a tornado cuz all windows were closed means nothing? ok then

United States
    Wait a minute...
    You mean there's a horde of walking ghouls outside to contend with AND a tornado?!? Good God! How much stress can someone take??
    With my luck the high winds would start throwing the ghouls right thru the windows and into my lap!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Wait a minute...
    You mean there's a horde of walking ghouls outside to contend with AND a tornado?!? Good God! How much stress can someone take??
    With my luck the high winds would start throwing the ghouls right thru the windows and into my lap!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Wait a minute...
    anythings possible in detroit. which is why i'd hide out in center line

United States
    anythings possible in detroit. which is why i'd hide out in center line
    Be my guest. I'll be up in the Port Austin/Caseville area! A grand total population of 1,000 and LOTS of empty vacation homes and cottages along the beach.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Be my guest. I'll be up in the Port Austin/Caseville area! A grand total population of 1,000 and LOTS of empty vacation homes and cottages along the beach.

u tried belleville?

Undisclosed
    so even though my high school's roof was ripped off by a tornado cuz all windows were closed means nothing? ok then
    You what i bolded? How can you say with any certainty that the roof came off "Because the windows were closed"?

Is it not possible that the roof came off because the winds outside were 80 miles an hours???
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post
    You what i bolded? How can you say with any certainty that the roof came off "Because the windows were closed"?

Is it not possible that the roof came off because the winds outside were 80 miles an hours???

the laws of physics state the walls would have to come down as well. which they did not

United States
    u tried belleville?
    No, no! Your thinking south! Everything down river is congested with people (therefore zombies). You have to go up north. The Port Austen/Caseville area is exactly at the tip of the thumb of Michigan. Believe it or not, hardly anyone lives there year round. Lots of open space and no bodies.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    No, no! Your thinking south! Everything down river is congested with people (therefore zombies). You have to go up north. The Port Austen/Caseville area is exactly at the tip of the thumb of Michigan. Believe it or not, hardly anyone lives there year round. Lots of open space and no bodies.

LOL bellville is more deserted that union town. its on a lake too

Undisclosed
    LOL bellville is more deserted that union town. its on a lake too
    Ha, the funny thing is (though it's not apparent from the movie) the NIGHT farmhouse is actually surrounded by water on all sides except for one. So everyone would have had to swim just a bit to get there, including Barbra and the cemetery ghoul.

The best strategy would have been to kill everything in the immediate area and then defend the only access road in until help arrived.