Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discuss the Diary DVD (so who got their copy today?)

United States
    I just got done watching it and it was "ok". I liked it as a pure zombie film but not as a Romero zombie film. If it doesn't fit into continuity, then why include the news reports? Why confuse people?

With the way I think (and I know that can be scary), it is included in the Dead timeline due to the inclusion of those reports. The dating is wrong (spring in Night and october in Diary), but no biggie. I had always thought Night took place in the fall anyway due to the leafless trees and the early reasonably early nightfall. I never really listened to anything Johnny had to say regardless, so his inane ramblings of time changes was nothing major to me.

My big question with the movie is, why did no one lock the back door? And who thought sealing themselves into a panic room (essentially a vault) would be a good idea??

Just my opinions on things.

Dead

Undisclosed
    I bought a copy from Walmart yesterday, watched it last night. To be honest, I don't know what to think. Had it been a regular movie, it might have been better. There was too much talking, too much drama, and not enough of the dead. The Amish guy was interesting, as was the pool scene.

I'm not sure what I expected, but I was disappointed by the end of the movie. Many of you will probably feel the same way, not interested in a sequel.

Undisclosed
    Sounds like a renter, so that's what I am going to do.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    If it doesn't fit into continuity, then why include the news reports? Why confuse people?

With the way I think (and I know that can be scary), it is included in the Dead timeline due to the inclusion of those reports.
    I don't see the confusion. DIARY takes place at the start of the phenomenon, but that doesn't mean that it automatically follows the same continuity as NIGHT. The news reports in NIGHT mention radiation and the Venus Probe often, but there is no mention of a possible cause in DIARY.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    The dating is wrong (spring in Night and october in Diary), but no biggie.

I had always thought Night took place in the fall anyway due to the leafless trees and the early reasonably early nightfall. I never really listened to anything Johnny had to say regardless, so his inane ramblings of time changes was nothing major to me.
    There are several continuity errors in NIGHT (example: the posse members are suddenly wearing jackets due to the bonfire being filmed in November-December) but it doesn't change the fact that NIGHT takes place in April while DIARY takes place in October. The two films were never intended to follow the same continuity.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I guess I'm in the minority but I liked the film, and I liked it for what it is. It seems a lot of people want George to make another Dawn Of The Dead rather than to try to experiment with something new. The thing is, we have Dawn Of The Dead so can't we just enjoy it? I skimmed through reviews on Amazon and it's evident in that some people saw it fit to give this movie 1 star. You may dislike it but it is certainly higher than a 1!

My only complaint is how blatant George was with his social commentary where he seemed to keep pointing it out to us. We get it, ok?

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I picked it up two days ago and have watched it twice...haven't got into the extra features yet.
    I too really like the film. It is hardly a classic, but a big step in the right direction after the absurd Land.
    There was a question as to why they locked themselves into the panic room -- it was really the only choice. By stocking up and going in, they can wait out the zombies and wait for them to get bored and move on. Where they may've screwed up was not getting the keys to one of the vehicles.
    It will be interesting to see if there is a follow-up, will Romero continue this story?
    I can understand why some may not like this film -- much more than I can understand how anyone could love Land. It will always sit behind the top 3 in my book, but as someone that thinks most movies -- and just about ALL horror -- these days suck, it was a fun experience.
    Bring on the sequel!!!

Undisclosed
    Well after picking up the dvd I saw it for the first time.

It was ok. I thought the concept was pretty interesting. A few nice moments (not as bad as I thought it would be and enjoyed it more than Land) but I have to admit there was a touch of disappointment.

For me each Of the Dead films kept getting larger in scope/size. Diary seemed to reverse that. The filmmaker response probably would be "that was what the script called for." But I think many fans expected a larger scale zombie film. Had Diary been made by someone other than Romero it would probably be liked better as it still is much better than most of the other zombie films made. I think we come to expect too much from Romero mainly because he's delivered it so big in the past.

My favorites are still NOTLD and Dawn (original).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Well after picking up the dvd I saw it for the first time.

It was ok. I thought the concept was pretty interesting. A few nice moments (not as bad as I thought it would be and enjoyed it more than Land) but I have to admit there was a touch of disappointment.

For me each Of the Dead films kept getting larger in scope/size. Diary seemed to reverse that. The filmmaker response probably would be "that was what the script called for." But I think many fans expected a larger scale zombie film. Had Diary been made by someone other than Romero it would probably be liked better as it still is much better than most of the other zombie films made. I think we come to expect too much from Romero mainly because he's delivered it so big in the past.

My favorites are still NOTLD and Dawn (original).

It's funny cause i got through netflix. I'm not in love with the film but if it were anyone other than GAR who made it i'd never give it a second thought. But since he did i need to own it.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Good news for us Brits, the 90 minute documentary that was previously "tbc", is now confirmed to appear on the 2-disc Region 2 DVD which boasts many more extras than the Region 1 DVD.

It's certainly a turn up for the books, as all of GAR's other zed flicks have been best represented on Region 1 dvd (e.g. the 4-disc Dawn set, which pwned arse up and down the street).

England
    Yeah, the Dawn Ultimate package is a bit frackin' special innit?

As for the Diary 2-Discer, I really hope I'm not as disapointed as some folks are with this flick (not seen it yet).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    a buddy of mine from work is a fan of the original night, but he's only seen the dawn remake and parts of the original day.

i let him borrow my diary dvd the other day, but i refuse to let my dawn 4 disc ultimate edition leave my apartment (since how it's got sentimental value-a buddy bought it for me for my birthday at a px in baghdad), so he's (dude from work) gonna come over this weekend for a screening of the original dawn, day, and the night remake.

good times

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Good news for us Brits, the 90 minute documentary that was previously "tbc", is now confirmed to appear on the 2-disc Region 2 DVD which boasts many more extras than the Region 1 DVD.

It's certainly a turn up for the books, as all of GAR's other zed flicks have been best represented on Region 1 dvd (e.g. the 4-disc Dawn set, which pwned arse up and down the street).
    I think the R1 has that 90 minute documentary....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I think the R1 has that 90 minute documentary....
    Yeah, but it's only got that and about 4 other extras, whereas the R2 has all those, PLUS loads more.

And it's also in limited edition tin packaging.

Legion - try not to think about it too much, just have fun with it, give it a chance. It's certainly not GAR's best work, and certainly not his best zed flick, but it's worthwhile nonetheless I say. Personally though, I liked Land more, but that's just my own opinion.

I look forward to checking out the 2-discer later on this month though.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, but it's only got that and about 4 other extras, whereas the R2 has all those, PLUS loads more.
    I just saw the contents and yeah, we got s**tloads more. Wonder why that is?

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I find a lot of faults with Diary. If GAR were retelling everything from day one with Diary I could get into it more. Sort of like starting everything over. Forget about all the other movies, that sort of thing. Then he could go from there and make the entire series with a modern vision. That would be cool.