Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Indy 4 film... Oh dear...

Undisclosed
    I saw it with the same viewpoint and thought it was beyond disappointing for a Indiana Jones film (And I'm someone who could enjoy The Phantom Menace).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    (And I'm someone who could enjoy The Phantom Menace).
    Well you just blew your credentials right there.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    You realize of course that you could do that for every indy movie with the possible exception of Raiders. They were all cheesy as hell. You can't watch this movie with the critical adult mind. The only reason you can do that with the old movies is the nostalgia involved. Remembering how awesome the old movies were whne you were younger is the only thing keeping you from picking them apart. If you can see this movie with the same viewpoint in mind, it's a whole lot better.
    Well said. I don't know what the hells wrong with people these days. Everything has to be analysed and compared with something else rather than just being caught in the moment and enjoying the movie for what it is. A popcorn, suspend your disbelief, fun ride.
    I must move in different circles to other people because everybody I've met and know rates Indy 4.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Well said. I don't know what the hells wrong with people these days. Everything has to be analysed and compared with something else rather than just being caught in the moment and enjoying the movie for what it is. A popcorn, suspend your disbelief, fun ride.
    I must move in different circles to other people because everybody I've met and know rates Indy 4.
    Eh. Who is making comparisons? The film failed for me because it was sh1t, not because it was sh1t compared to the earlier films.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Yes, if it had been a stand alone film, not connected with the Indy trilogy, people would go easier on it.

However, Lucas has gone over board in this one with some absolutely rediculous over the top scenes (nonsense) which unfortunately damage the film IMHO. There were a couple of glimmers of a good film, but basically (IMHO) it was trying ever so hard but didn't really manage to capture the quality of the originals.

Jumping the shark = Nuking the fridge

Yes, I enjoyed it, but the script (LUUUUCAAAAAS!!! ) did this film no favours with his bollards! I'm sad I've given Lucas my money and endorsement (again) by going to the cinema TBH.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yes, the fridge was silly as hell. I admit it. So? The whole Character of Short Round was as well, and I love him anyways.

Yes the script was stupid. I admit it. So? The dialogue in the original Star Wars movies was absolutely terrible, and I still love them.

It was a great movie IMO. I think I liked it better than Last Cruisade. I am looking past the silly s*(t just like I did in the other movies, and enjoying the movie for what it is: a fantastical saturday morning serial, on a grand scale.
    Last edited by clanglee; 29-May-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Yes, the fridge was silly as hell. I admit it. So? The whole Character of Short Round was as well, and I love him anyways.

Yes the script was stupid. I admit it. So? The dialogue in the original Star Wars movies was absolutely terrible, and I still love them.

It was a great movie IMO. I think I liked it better than Last Cruisade. I am looking past the silly s*(t just like I did in the other movies, and enjoying the movie for what it is: a fantastical saturday morning serial, on a grand scale.
    To me the film just didn't sit right... As I previously said, some of the acting/dialog just felt terrible. I actually flinched!

As for the over the top action, Lucas has just gone too mad so he's gone completely past any point of suspension of disbelief. There are just sooooo many areas of the script where he clearly doesn't give two-hoots for the audiences intelligence. Things were just done because they 'looked cool' rather than made sense:-

- Fridges getting blown by a nuclear blast miles trough the air
    - Marion driving up and down trees with not a worry in the world, and a big f***ing stupid grin on her face. 'Oh yes, I do this every day! Don't worry we might all actually F***ING DIE WHEN I DRIVE OFF A CLIFF AND DOWN A TREE!' FFS! Come on! At least make out it was a complete accident or something... Sheeeesh!
    - Russian road cutters that don't leave stumps, or rocks.
    - Russian road cuteers that once they've been blown up, they still create roads.
    - Tarzan Lebouf!
    - The hole premis of the story. Did you understand why one skull was missing, yet there were talk of lots of them in museums etc, and why the skull had gone missing, and why the creature(s) needed all of them to function, and why they were happy to kill people they'd never encountered before... and why... and why... and why...
    - Infact, what even happened to Cate Blanchett at the end? Beams of light into her eyes, and explode... Huh? Wha? Plah! She was wasted! Almost as much as John Hurt was wasted!

Again, I enjoyed the film, but it was very lazy to the extent the plot didn't even make sense really... All because Lucas has lost it...

The original films had at least some intelligence and charm to them, this one had far less...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Well you just blew your credentials right there.

I agree with you Neil. It didn't feel like a indiana jones film.

The cinematography even bothered me. You can look at the first 3 Indy films and this one doesn't fit in with the overall look.

Harrison Ford seemed to get into the character slow. That first Ford scene was hard to watch. Once he got inside the building it seemed fine. The whole movie had really odd moments that didn't fit right with the other three films.

The refrigerator bit was stupid beyond belief...Then there is the Mutt Tarzan scene (or video game scene whichever you want to call it) - That wasn't fun to watch.

The odd moments took you (or at least me) right out of the Indiana Jones adventure. Something the other three films never did.

Hard to believe that:
    Raiders of the Lost ark $18 million budget
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull $185 million budget
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 29-May-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post

I agree with you Neil. It didn't feel like a indiana jones film.

The cinematography even bothered me. You can look at the first 3 Indy films and this one doesn't fit in with the overall look.

Harrison Ford seemed to get into the character slow. That first Ford scene was hard to watch. Once he got inside the building it seemed fine. The whole movie had really odd moments that didn't fit right with the other three films.

The refrigerator bit was stupid beyond belief...Then there is the Mutt Tarzan scene (or video game scene whichever you want to call it) - That wasn't fun to watch.

The odd moments took you (or at least me) right out of the Indiana Jones adventure. Something the other three films never did.

Hard to believe that:
    Raiders of the Lost ark $18 million budget
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull $185 million budget
    Driving down trees was the 'jumping the shark' moment for me (or as now know, 'nuking the fridge'). The moment I realised it had just gone beyond stupid...
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I feel that you guys are being WAY to hard on this flick because of your love of the originals. I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. True, there are a few things that were "out there"....but ALL the indy films have that!

I think the movie would have been a bit better if these things had been changed:

- I get that throughout the film Henry III is being set up as the next indy and the monkey/vine thing is a hint at him knowing how to swing with a whip....but come on....
    -Marion wasn't really needed.
    -The Alien Skulls was "supernatural" enough and should have ended at that. There was no need to see the alien in the flesh and the ridiculous ship that looked like a dinner plate.
    -I loved the bombing test site scene. I thought it was fantastic. I just wish Indy wasn't so quick to get out of the fridge like nothing happened.
    -The scene at the end when the hat blows through the door, mutt picks it up, and the theme starts. I was thinking "NOOOO!", but then Indy snatches it out of his hand before he can put it on. AWESOME. I think that may also be a hint that Harrison has one or two adventures left in him before Henry III takes over.(I liked LeBeouf, but I don't know if he can carry an indy flick)

There are more that i'm forgetting right now, i'm sure.

Even with those complaints, I had a ball watching this film. It's INDIANA JONES PEOPLE! It's not meant to be serious. Look at the original films and tell me that they're 100% serious. You're being too hard on this just because it's a new film in a classic franchise.

And to those of you that say it doesn't "feel" like an indy film......REALLY? I thought it just screamed Indian Jones. From the very first shot I was thinking "holy sh*t, this is another Indy film in theater".

I would have to rate this film as better than Doom, but not as good as Raiders or Crusade. I loved it and will probably go see it again.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I feel that you guys are being WAY to hard on this flick because of your love of the originals. I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. True, there are a few things that were "out there"....but ALL the indy films have that!

I think the movie would have been a bit better if these things had been changed:

- I get that throughout the film Henry III is being set up as the next indy and the monkey/vine thing is a hint at him knowing how to swing with a whip....but come on....
    -Marion wasn't really needed.
    -The Alien Skulls was "supernatural" enough and should have ended at that. There was no need to see the alien in the flesh and the ridiculous ship that looked like a dinner plate.
    -I loved the bombing test site scene. I thought it was fantastic. I just wish Indy wasn't so quick to get out of the fridge like nothing happened.
    -The scene at the end when the hat blows through the door, mutt picks it up, and the theme starts. I was thinking "NOOOO!", but then Indy snatches it out of his hand before he can put it on. AWESOME. I think that may also be a hint that Harrison has one or two adventures left in him before Henry III takes over.(I liked LeBeouf, but I don't know if he can carry an indy flick)

There are more that i'm forgetting right now, i'm sure.

Even with those complaints, I had a ball watching this film. It's INDIANA JONES PEOPLE! It's not meant to be serious. Look at the original films and tell me that they're 100% serious. You're being too hard on this just because it's a new film in a classic franchise.

And to those of you that say it doesn't "feel" like an indy film......REALLY? I thought it just screamed Indian Jones. From the very first shot I was thinking "holy sh*t, this is another Indy film in theater".

I would have to rate this film as better than Doom, but not as good as Raiders or Crusade. I loved it and will probably go see it again.
    So you're happy to see people drive trucks up and down trees (with a stupid f***ing grin on their face)?

Again, I enjoyed it, but Lucas has just got too mad, and hence the film pole vaults past the point of suspension of disbelief... It's all a bit too lazy to sit comfortably with me, and could have been so much tighter and intelligent...

Seriously though, the phrase 'jumping the shark' is now gone, it's now either 'nuking the fridge' or 'driving down the tree'...

I rated it about 6/10, with all the rest scoring more... And that has to be the case if only because there were not daft low altitude fridges or stupid tree scaling trucks in those!

If they do another one, as I suspect they will, I do hope Lucas has less to do with the script...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So you're happy to see people drive trucks up and down trees (with a stupid f***ing grin on their face)?

She didn't really drive down it. She kind of landed on it, it bent over and they floated off into the water. It was a bit of a stretch, but really.....think really hard about the original films. There are MANY things like this in the originals, but people tend to over look them because of their classic status.

A huge rolling ball? Jumping out of an airplane with a water raft? There are many, many more. They're just accepted because they were in the originals. People are being too hard on this one because of the gap between Crusade till now.

Don't get me wrong....there are things wrong with Kingdom. Quite a few actually. But it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. They've seem to have forgotten that the original Indys are just as absurd...

Administrator

England
    She didn't really drive down it. She kind of landed on it, it bent over and they floated off into the water. It was a bit of a stretch, but really.....think really hard about the original films. There are MANY things like this in the originals, but people tend to over look them because of their classic status.

A huge rolling ball? Jumping out of an airplane with a water raft? There are many, many more. They're just accepted because they were in the originals. People are being too hard on this one because of the gap between Crusade till now.

Don't get me wrong....there are things wrong with Kingdom. Quite a few actually. But it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. They've seem to have forgotten that the original Indys are just as absurd...
    *spoilers*

But she did it on purpose... She did it somehow knowing it would work??!?

They are driving a f***ing X ton truck towards a cliff, and she's got that stupid grin pinned to her face without the slightest worry of throwing X tonnes of metal off a 200ft cliff, into a tree... It's absolutely, 101% moronically daft!

If she'd done it completely by accident and unintentionally, I'd give it more grace (& accept it)... But nope, somehow she'd worked all the trajectories, mass, vectors, and tensile strength of old trees out before hand... And therefore has absolutely not the slightest concern for her life, or those of the others in the truck... Utterly unforgivable scripting...

As for your examples...:-
    - Huge balls rolling? Yep, just like small ones, big balls will roll too!
    - Jumping out of a plane in an inflatable dingy? (a) They had no choice... (b) I can almost imagine that sort of working?! (c) They actually seemed scared and I'm certain did not have a huge stupid f***ing grin on their face at the concept of death rushing towards them...

I'm not being hard in this because it's the 4th Indy film... I'm being hard on this because the other three managed to have a good solid script, where as this one in some places went moronically daft for absolutely no good reason... I still give it 6/10 for a fun run...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They had no choice about getting off the cliff in Kingdom, either. And you can imagine three people smacking into a mountain and surviving because of a 3 inch thick raft??? It MAY be possible, but that's just as much of a stretch as the tree/cliff thing.

I suggest all you people that were offended by the crazy stunts go back and watch the original three as though you had never seen them and they weren't classics. You may be surprised to find that they all have stunts that could make you roll your eyes. Just as I think glanglee said earlier in the thread....This is a series based on fantatical saturday morning serials and you're complaining about outlandish stunts? jeesh...

Administrator

England
    They had no choice about getting off the cliff in Kingdom, either. And you can imagine three people smacking into a mountain and surviving because of a 3 inch thick raft??? It MAY be possible, but that's just as much of a stretch as the tree/cliff thing.

I suggest all you people that were offended by the crazy stunts go back and watch the original three as though you had never seen them and they weren't classics. You may be surprised to find that they all have stunts that could make you roll your eyes. Just as I think glanglee said earlier in the thread....This is a series based on fantatical saturday morning serials and you're complaining about outlandish stunts? jeesh...
    Dude! They had not choice but to drive X tonnes of truck off a cliff? Watch the scene again... I'm sure you'll see quite clearly:-
    (a) The break pedal could have been used, to slow the vehicle.
    (b) The steering wheel could have been used, to divert the vehicle.
    (c) The doors (or open top) could have been used, to exit the vehicle.

But to jump a truck off a cliff into a tree with not the slightest of concerns? It's utterly stupid and daft and weak! This results in a complete lack of care and tension as if they don't care about any risk, why on earth should you?

Here you go! Here's the problem solved and film improved with 10 seconds of thought
    - Make them try and drive near the edge (getting away), but the edge gives way so they're hanging over the edge in terror (with no grins on their faces), before it gives way completely, only for them to be saved by the tree! Anything other than a stupid f***ing grin and not a care in the world knowing there is absolutely somehow no risk in driving a truck off a cliff into a tree!! For goodness sake! Doesn't take much does it LLLUUUUCCCAAAS!!