Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Season 4 officially confirmed - but Glen Mazzara won't be the showrunner...

Undisclosed
    Why 'The Walking Dead' Killed Off Its Latest Showrunner

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...mazzara-410017

When a network fires two showrunners in less than 18 months from its biggest hit -- and one of the most successful franchises on television -- that is sure to make waves in Hollywood and with fans. So no matter how AMC tried to spin the Dec. 21 departure of Glen Mazzara from The Walking Dead as just one of those amicable things, insiders rolled their eyes -- especially because the network let go co-creator Frank Darabont in July 2011 and has had high-profile spats with writer-producers on its hits Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

AMC and Walking Dead comic book writer and producer Robert Kirkman were blamed for Mazzara's ouster and called out by name by showrunners Shawn Ryan (Last Resort) and Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy), neither of whom is involved with Walking Dead but both of whom worked with Mazzara on Ryan's FX series The Shield. Ryan tweeted, "It's a real question now why good showrunners should sell to AMC," and Sutter followed with a tweet declaring that AMC had sent him "a gift basket filled with … broken promises and the marinated tongue used to lick Kirkman's ass."

In a follow-up video posted on his website, Sutter denounced AMC for departing from a cable culture that generally allows showrunners more creative freedom than do the broadcast networks. Kirkman, he added, "is an amazing visual artist and a graphic artist [but] knows very little about TV, and the reins keep going back to him in this process, and he doesn't know how to run a show."

Several insiders confirm that Kirkman, whose detailed graphic novels form the basis of the series, is "very proprietary," as one puts it. One adds, "I believe Robert wants to maintain a certain amount of his control, and AMC needs Robert for the fan base." But despite the vitriol, some sources involved with Walking Dead say Kirkman was one of several producers on the show who had issues with Mazzara and his vision.

One source says Mazzara's shortcomings in running the series during the most recent third season became "abundantly clear … especially for the second half of the season." This source says production was shut down "several times" because of a lack of material.

Mazzara declined comment but will participate in a Jan. 11 AFI awards luncheon that will honor Walking Dead as one of 2012's top shows. The midseason finale Dec. 2 lured 10.5 million total viewers and 6.9 million in the key adults 18-to-49 demo, crushing nearly all broadcast network shows.

To date, Kirkman has responded to the criticism only with a restrained tweet: "@sutterink is brilliant and Sons is my favorite show on TV. Still, it's upsetting to see him ranting about things he knows nothing about." AMC declined comment.
    Last edited by Mr_Shadow; 09-Jan-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: fixed link

Administrator

England
    ^^ "especially for the second half of the season." This source says production was shut down "several times" because of a lack of material.

That doesn't sound good!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

fe

Not too bummed. TWD is good, but only Season 1 was great.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 10-Jan-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: fe

Super Moderator

UK
    Attention AMC: Stop pissing about with our favourite show ffs.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, it's as if we're not allowed to just sit back and enjoy our TWD. We have to go through all this fan worry and behind-the-scenes turmoil, and because you never get the full story behind these sorts of events, you never know what to think about anyone involved. So stop buggering about, AMC, for crying out loud!

Ireland
    A lack of material?

There's bleedin years of material already written in the comics and it's a damn sight better than ANYTHING that's been written for the TV show so far.

If they're really trying to say that there's a "lack" of material, they're not even trying.

Get your feckin act together.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Something that just crossed my mind....

It would make sense for them to promote someone currently working on the show into the showrunner position. While he may not know everything about running the production of a show, isn't heavily involved with the writing, and it's his first show(I think), Nicotero has really risen through the ranks since the show began. What are the chances that he ends up replacing Mazzara? It's an extremely long shot, I know, just throwing it out there.
    I think Greg would fit perfectly. I wonder if the next show runner will try to swing it back toward the comic book or just stay the way it is heading. I'm expecting a mess by the beginning of season 4.

United States
    AMC has a gem fall into their lap and just can't leave well enough alone. If this show tanks I'm gonna be pissed beyond eternity.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, the "lack of material" thing doesn't really make sense - you'd think there'd be plenty to fill 8 episodes, seeing as the Ricktatorship and Woodbury haven't even come face-to-face yet, we've just got Tyreese & Co in on the act, Andrea is yet to return to our gang, etc etc etc.

I have felt that some episodes have definitely tried to cram too much into an episode. 3x05 was a prime example (there were numerous cut scenes due to time constraints), and yet in spite of that the quality of the content was still very high indeed - far higher than many shows out there.

In terms of Kirkman, well, he's said many times in the past that he wants to change things up from the comics - follow the main thread (naturally) and change things along the way, time certain people or events differently etc. It also gives them the opportunity to better explore characters (e.g. Shane, or The Governor) far more than they ever got in the comics (although with side-publications we've had much more of The Governor since his original run in the comics).

As for Kurt Sutter - while I don't watch SoA, I've heard it's very good, and I do wonder if there's an element of him putting his dealings with AMC onto this situation without actually being involved in this particular situation himself. So that's unfair, but on the other hand he is totally legit in saying that clearly there's some people high up in AMC who are fucking morons - there's been high profile clashes with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead - all hugely popular shows that have given AMC far greater stock than they ever had. I'm half-expecting a bust-up on Hell On Wheels next.

The writer/showrunner should definitely be king on these kinds of shows/productions. Naturally they have to be good enough - they can't be delivering garbage or content that's not fit for broadcast - but providing they have talent and people like their stuff, they should be left alone to run their show and produce great television. You hire creative people for the creative stuff, all the money men have to do is pay up a reasonable amount of cash for it and then do what they do best - market it globally - and then take that profit and invest it into more shows where they hire creative people to provide them with new strong content that, again, the big wigs can do what they do best with after-it's-produced: market it globally.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, the "lack of material" thing doesn't really make sense - you'd think there'd be plenty to fill 8 episodes, seeing as the Ricktatorship and Woodbury haven't even come face-to-face yet, we've just got Tyreese & Co in on the act, Andrea is yet to return to our gang, etc etc etc.
    Might be one thing to have the raw material(s), but maybe they simply weren't available at the right times? eg: Finished scripts/story board ready for shooting etc...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The writer/showrunner should definitely be king on these kinds of shows/productions. Naturally they have to be good enough - they can't be delivering garbage or content that's not fit for broadcast - but providing they have talent and people like their stuff, they should be left alone to run their show and produce great television. You hire creative people for the creative stuff, all the money men have to do is pay up a reasonable amount of cash for it and then do what they do best - market it globally - and then take that profit and invest it into more shows where they hire creative people to provide them with new strong content that, again, the big wigs can do what they do best with after-it's-produced: market it globally.
    Exactly. It's a bit like american cinema going into the eighties. Blockbusters galore and every 'auteur' exiled to purely arthouse cinemas. What was considered mainstream cinema back in the days was less an insult to your intelligence than what's running in the cinemas nowadays. The more the money guys started meddling with the creative side of things to protect their investments the staler fare we got. I fear that's the situation over at AMC. The more money a show starts making the more they fuck it up so to speak.

It also feels as if our favourite zombie show has too many godfathers overlooking it: The showrunner, the marketing boys, Kirkman ... The three parties don't mix too well. They should find someone with a real knowledge of and affinity for the source material in particular and the genre in general and just let him/her run with it.
    Last edited by krisvds; 12-Jan-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Scott Gimple is the new showrunner. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...mazzara-406144

Fresh Meat

United States
    Scott Gimple is the new showrunner. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...mazzara-406144
    I am happy with Scott as show runner as long as you-know-who loses you-know-what before this season ends. I stopped reading the comics a little after this point in the story so I would like to see what they keep doing differently from the books. I am going to go back and compare them after this season ends. I know many things have changed, but I am good with that so far.

Okay, I'm tired...
    A little thing I wrote.
    When there is no more room in... Well, you know the rest or you wouldn't be here in the first place.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well with Gimple having been Mazzara's No. 2 guy, then I'm happy with him taking over as showrunner. Hopefully he'll give us great episodes like the back-half of season two and the front-half of season three ... and here's hoping that the back-half of season three doesn't see a drop in quality either. After such a cracking start (albeit in places a little too brisk), it'd be a right old bummer to see the show slide in quality ... however, despite rumoured problems in production, I'm thinking positive about the remaining episodes.

Here's hoping for a smooth and successful transition when season four rolls around.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Revil3000 View Post
    I am happy with Scott as show runner as long as you-know-who loses you-know-what before this season ends.
    Kirkman confirmed many moons ago that this won't happen in the television series.

Just a bit of a goof, but I had a chuckle when it occured to me that in just two years this show went from being run by the guy that wrote The Shawshank Redemption....to the guy that wrote Ghost Rider 2. Yikes.

Super Moderator

United States
    in just two years this show went from being run by the guy that wrote The Shawshank Redemption....to the guy that wrote Ghost Rider 2. Yikes.
    That is not amusing, Bass!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany