Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight review thread

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't understand this "no emotional connection" bollocks one bit.
    You really need to stop interpretting my comments so black and white... And picking and choosing what you take from them accordingly.

I didn't suggest none, I suggested less...

DK is a great flick, and I was simply airing my only major issue with it, having less of the emotional thread than the first seemed to have IMHO.

For me, in BB, the flash backs to his parents, the tenderness shown by Alfred, the hardship endured by Bruce, the innability to show Rachel who he really was (and actually make her despise him), offered more of an emotionaly hook (for me at least), that what was in DK. It's my opinion, sorry if you disagree... Sheesh!

It's interesting that this is what I think Jonathan Ross might have been talking about as well?

Anyway, to go through your points...

Rachel - The love triangle seemed to be a bit lost... No one really seemed to care or be in love with anyone.... ie: It came across a tad flat.

Harvey Dent - One of the most enjoyable characters in the film! Probably the best performance in the film for me!

The Joker - Yup! Great character - Utterly confusing anarchic mentalist! Only thing that frustrated me regarding him was his plans, no matter how contrived and difficult, always seemed to work so well...

There's no denying the story had many levels and lot of great aspects! Maybe it tried achieving too much, at the expense of spending a little more time showing characters' underbellies...

Anyway, my comments are not to be taken as a major criticism of the film, because they are a minor point considering the overall strengths of it! AND, it may well be, on a second viewing (at home on DVD) I have a different take on this matter/issue...

I simply don't buy that you can't get connected and drawn into these characters ...
    Please stop putting words in my mouth... It's getting tiring...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Then when Dent and Rachel are both tied up in a building full of petrol, and Batman DOESN'T go for Rachel, and Rachel gets BLOWN UP - again, I was shocked. It was like 24-style gloves coming off, you know.
    Maybe you just didn't mention it, but....

You do know that Joker switched the addresses on Batman, right? Batman thought he was going after Rachel and Gordon was going after Dent.

While on the topic, did you notice that the warehouses were differently lit? Rachels was really dark, while Dent's was really bright. That caught my eye for some reason......

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Maybe you just didn't mention it, but....

You do know that Joker switched the addresses on Batman, right? Batman thought he was going after Rachel and Gordon was going after Dent.

While on the topic, did you notice that the warehouses were differently lit? Rachels was really dark, while Dent's was really bright. That caught my eye for some reason......
    Yeh! Nice touch wasn't it

Anyone able to answer my question?

In the Joker's last video, it looked like Coleman Reese (the guy who'd worked out who batman was)... If so, how did the Joker get him after Bruce Wayne had saved him in the Lambo?

I assume it wasn't actually him?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not him... Looked like him, but not him. This video was floating on You Tube most of the weekend, along with almost the entire film, and I thought the same thing, but its not him.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Anyone able to answer my question?

In the Joker's last video, it looked like Coleman Reese (the guy who'd worked out who batman was)... If so, how did the Joker get him after Bruce Wayne had saved him in the Lambo?

I assume it wasn't actually him?

Are you talking about the video of the guy reading from the card? If so, that was Mike Engel. The news reporter.

That lamborgini scene was hilarious. "I was trying to catch the light." "You weren't trying to protect the Suv?" "Why, who's in it??" and they both look at each other.
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Jul-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    It came across a tad flat.

Even when they're telling each other they love one another as they're sitting there about to die, only talking down the phone, and then Dent's sheer pain - not accompanied by any audio - after he realises he survived (horribly scarred) and his fiance died?

Otherwise, calm down dear ...

I was summarising not only your thoughts on that aspect, but those of other posters who were a bit "meh" about the character connection thing, and cos I loved TDK so much, yes I was a bit short and a tad "you f*ckin' wot?!"

But you could argue that you do the same to other people, so calm down dear.

Don't you know? I'm super passionate about the films that I love! Especially when I think the characterisation and the connection to the characters in the Dark Knight was stronger than you thought, so ... yeah ...

Bassman - I didn't quite catch on to that bit, but now you say it - it makes sense. I was just so swept away by it all that I missed that little element. But I did notice the stark contrast in lighting between the two warehouses, noiiice.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bassman - I didn't quite catch on to that bit, but now you say it - it makes sense. I was just so swept away by it all that I missed that little element. But I did notice the stark contrast in lighting between the two warehouses, noiiice.

Yeah....as batman's leaving the interogation room and hopping on the batpod, Gordon yells "Who are you going for?" and Batman says "Rachel!". But when he arrives...it's actually Dent's location. Joker switched it because he could tell that batman had a soft spot for Rachel and Joker never wanted Dent to die. He wanted him to become another freak criminal like himself.

You know. "Heads you live, tails you die". "NOW we're talking!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah mate, it was hilarious when he was in that Nurse's outfit, when he's first revealed to be in it I mean.

Also - like Kevin Smith had said on the Slash Film podcast when they talked (with many spoilers) about TDK - the bit where The Joker replies, in a fantastic bit of delivery, "yeah..." when the crims are asking him about what his plan is exactly - basically to take a load of their cash.

It was around the time of the infamous "magic trick" - which was a great scene, and a real shock as well. There were quite a few shocks in the movie actually, I was never left expecting something to happen, I was either shocked, or things got turned around on me.

Ah mate, and the whole sequence involving the boats and the big decision - DUDE - that had me and Ben talking on the way back home alright, which is sure sign of a superb film right there.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah mate, and the whole sequence involving the boats and the big decision - DUDE - that had me and Ben talking on the way back home alright, which is sure sign of a superb film right there.

Leave it up to Deebo to save the boats.

The whole hospital scene was just legendary. "Hiiii..." to Harvey with the funny face, the hand cleaner, the bomb not working right. All incredible. I almost pissed myself while watching the way Joker walks out of the hospital. Is that not one of the funniest wakls you've ever seen? That was all real too. Ledger had one take and he did it right there in front of the explosion....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

The whole hospital scene was just legendary. "Hiiii..." to Harvey with the funny face, the hand cleaner, the bomb not working right. All incredible. I almost pissed myself while watching the way Joker walks out of the hospital. Is that not one of the funniest wakls you've ever seen? That was all real too. Ledger had one take and he did it right there in front of the explosion....
    best scene in the movie that hospital one, top stuff.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    best scene in the movie that hospital one, top stuff.
    F*ckin' a-right it was.

I didn't think about it before, but damn - one take, and he did all that whilst a building is blowing up?

I cackled with evil glee when the bomb stopped working mid-way through, and he's fussing over the detonator ... one of the best Joker scenes in the movie.

Ah mate, I've gotta see it again! At the very least it's a guaranteed DVD purchase *fingers crossed for a boshty-as-fook R1 release*

Administrator

England

Even when they're telling each other they love one another as they're sitting there about to die, only talking down the phone, and then Dent's sheer pain - not accompanied by any audio - after he realises he survived (horribly scarred) and his fiance died?

Otherwise, calm down dear ...

I was summarising not only your thoughts on that aspect, but those of other posters who were a bit "meh" about the character connection thing, and cos I loved TDK so much, yes I was a bit short and a tad "you f*ckin' wot?!"

But you could argue that you do the same to other people, so calm down dear.

Don't you know? I'm super passionate about the films that I love! Especially when I think the characterisation and the connection to the characters in the Dark Knight was stronger than you thought, so ... yeah ...

LIke I said, it all bounced off me a bit... Maybe a second viewing will help

Yes! Was a great set of scenes!

That was all real too. Ledger had one take and he did it right there in front of the explosion....
    If I recall he did it in front of the smaller pirotechnics? Certainly not the main ones that nuked the entire building (that was a cut away)? But that whole crosswalk came down didn't it in his take/scene?
    Last edited by Neil; 30-Jul-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    If I recall he did it in front of the smaller pirotechnics? Certainly not the main ones that nuked the entire building (that was a cut away)? But that whole crosswalk came down didn't it in his take/scene?
    The whole thing, EXCEPT for the money shot seen in the trailers from far away of the whole thing collapsing.

If I remember correctly, he comes out of the building as smaller explosions go off, then there's the fuss with the detonator (superb!), then the cross walk goes down, then the bigger explosions go off as he walks towards us then camera right - THEN we cut to the big money shot.

God this movie is so f*ckin' boshty-as-fook!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    LIke I said, it all bounced off me a bit... Maybe a second viewing will help
    Yeah, I'm thinking a second viewing may help me enjoy it a bit more, as well. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film a lot, it had great pieces to it. I guess I'm just not grooving on it as hardcore as so many other people seem to be.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking a second viewing may help me enjoy it a bit more, as well. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film a lot, it had great pieces to it. I guess I'm just not grooving on it as hardcore as so many other people seem to be.
    No way is it justified as #1 at IMDB!!!
    -Carl Sagan