Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jesus, Mary and Joseph....the HEAT!!!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA
    Ok, Al Gore.
    Do you not agree that we are seeing frequent record breaking weather? Undoubtably we are...
    (See the post immediately previous to this for example)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma
    Tour for what? You're in a band I guess. Details please! Curious.

And its hot as hell here. Ugh
    Yes, I am in a band.

Today it's going to be 100 here in Philly. Heat index of 108. It's 9:06 AM right now and it's already 80 degrees. I'm not complaining, though... I really do love this weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    The biggest storms, the most storms, the most floods, the worst floods, the hottest summers.... There's a pattern...
    I agree. It's a shame most people won't open their eyes. I know some choose to be ignorant, but I don't understand why. Ignorance won't be bliss once **** gets real bad.

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA
    Ok, Al Gore.

no, not really. Neil actually has a point.

Do you not agree that we are seeing frequent record breaking weather? Undoubtably we are...
    (See the post immediately previous to this for example)

yes and no. again it's record breaking to us. but since we've only really been (accurately) recording weather for say the past 200 years. the fact it's "record breaking" isn't all that impressive.

but yes, your totally correct in that their has been in increase in ambient temperatures. which in turn creates stronger storms. as for their destructive capacity. i blame this on two things, 1) the news looking for doom and gloom to report. 2) large populations living in low land or beach front areas.
    Last edited by p2501; 17-Jul-2006 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    yes and no. again it's record breaking to us. but since we've only really been (accurately) recording weather for say the past 200 years. the fact it's "record breaking" isn't all that impressive.

but yes, your totally correct in that their has been in increase in ambient temperatures. which in turn creates stronger storms. as for their destructive capacity. i blame this on two things, 1) the news looking for doom and gloom to report. 2) large populations living in low land or beach front areas.
    exactley...this could repeat itself every 200 years.....I'm not betting on it tho.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma
    Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the Internet?"
    As long as Rethuglicans abound, NOPE!!!!!

They have a distinct ability to only see the crap they believe, true or not!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    exactley...this could repeat itself every 200 years.....I'm not betting on it tho.
    Quite possibly... and hopefully...

But if it's linked to our co2 emissions etc then we're f***ed... Humanity simply won't get itself in gear until the last moment (and quite possibly not until after then!) - Until absolutely conclusive evidence starts knocking at peoples doors - in the shape of food and water shortages etc - people will not be willing to reduce their power consumption or sacrifice their mod-cons

My greatest fear is my young one(s) are here to witness the biggest disaster in human history... Power cuts, water shortages, mass starvation... Entire areas of population on the move...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quite possibly... and hopefully...

But if it's linked to our co2 emissions etc then we're f***ed... Humanity simply won't get itself in gear until the last moment (and quite possibly not until after then!) - Until absolutely conclusive evidence starts knocking at peoples doors - in the shape of food and water shortages etc - people will not be willing to reduce their power consumption or sacrifice their mod-cons

My greatest fear is my young one(s) are here to witness the biggest disaster in human history... Power cuts, water shortages, mass starvation... Entire areas of population on the move...
    I had a "vision" yesterday.......in the future, you'll get in your car, start the engine AND the oxygen tanks.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I feel like I'm melting!! The Air-conditioning at work has failed, and I try to find some shade but it is hot even in the shade!!! Damn Global Warming!!!

Administrator

England
    I had a "vision" yesterday.......in the future, you'll get in your car, start the engine AND the oxygen tanks.
    Already here... (sort of)

If it was for sale here in the UK, in a usable form I'd buy one... I do 5 miles to and from work each day, and a couple of little trips every now and then. My partner has a larger car so I don't need much of a vehicle myself.

http://www.theaircar.com/
    -Carl Sagan

Fiji

i think more so, we're finishing out the iceage. this will go on for anther 100-300 years, then it'll start to slowly cool again.

Already here... (sort of)

If it was for sale here in the UK, in a usable form I'd buy one... I do 5 miles to and from work each day, and a couple of little trips every now and then. My partner has a larger car so I don't need much of a vehicle myself.

http://www.theaircar.com/

interesting. i fiure the hybrids will take an ethanol/electric combo within the next 5-7 years. the two techs compliment one another. and are consumer freindly enough that the (non-us) auto makers, won't apss up a chance to mass produce them.

as for the US automakers. they're ****ed, and that's a good thing.
    Last edited by p2501; 17-Jul-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Scotland
    Well, this shows how hot it is in Scotland, my computer overheated and shut itself down.

That has never happened to me before.

It didn't help that I haven't cleaned it in awhile. I had to take it outside to blow out all the dust.

Still, I'm sitting here topless, with the window open, sweating like a priest at choir practice.

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY
    Well, this shows how hot it is in Scotland, my computer overheated and shut itself down.

That has never happened to me before.

It didn't help that I haven't cleaned it in awhile. I had to take it outside to blow out all the dust.

Still, I'm sitting here topless, with the window open, sweating like a priest at choir practice.

canned air, it's your friend.

and thanks for the visual.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    i think more so, we're finishing out the iceage. this will go on for anther 100-300 years, then it'll start to slowly cool again.
    Ummm... This sounds a little unresearched... So it's 18000 since the end of the last age, and not only do you suggest this is the reason for out current temperature rise, but also predict the end of this cycle?

Don't forget temperature increases seem to be increasing... ie: We're not coming to a peak, but are possibly at the bottom of an increasing slope?

Note: This is some interesting reading though http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVF...l_warming.html
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I also thought the specificity of a 100-300 year timeframe a bit odd, considering that we're talking about epochs here, but I agree we're still coming out of an ice age. No matter what the cause, though, the uptick in heat seems to be pretty dramatic, and will have consequences that need to be considered, planned for and dealt with--not ignored or swept under the rug because it's an inconvenient truth. WAIT! I mean, because it's a disadvantageous fact

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fiji
    Ummm... This sounds a little unresearched... So it's 18000 since the end of the last age, and not only do you suggest this is the reason for out current temperature rise, but also predict the end of this cycle?

Don't forget temperature increases seem to be increasing... ie: We're not coming to a peak, but are possibly at the bottom of an increasing slope?

Note: This is some interesting reading though http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVF...l_warming.html

honestly i pulled the number out of my ass, i posted that before taking a "pee break" from my desk. soz.

overall i do think it's a trend that is slowly reaching the end of it's upward growth, but if i could quote you an overall time line for it, i'd be chairing an eviromental dept at the Uni of my choosing.

interesting link though.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights
    I also thought the specificity of a 100-300 year timeframe a bit odd, considering that we're talking about epochs here, but I agree we're still coming out of an ice age. No matter what the cause, though, the uptick in heat seems to be pretty dramatic, and will have consequences that need to be considered, planned for and dealt with--not ignored or swept under the rug because it's an inconvenient truth. WAIT! I mean, because it's a disadvantageous fact

yeah i was shooting fro 1000-3000, and left off the extra 0. why? becasue i'm too lazy to proof read, and was in a hurry.
    Last edited by p2501; 17-Jul-2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost