Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Day versus Land

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    My only problem with Land wasn't that they, and especially BD, were too intelligent. It was how the guy acted the part, which was not very well. He sounded constipated. I also didn't like Riley's disfigured buddy. He was kind of annoying and I wanted him dead. Other than that, I thought it was more than decent enough.
    It almost seems like the Dead trilogy is treated like the original Star Wars Trilogy and Land and Diary are the Phantom Menace's of the new batch.
    I'd think more of Diary as The Clone movie and Land the Sith movie.
    I haven't seen one that sucked enough to be the Menace of it all...

And yeah, when my kids saw Dawn they laughed their asses off at the fashion of the time. Who cares, I can't wait to show them how retarded their shit is when they get older.
    I agree about Big Daddy. The other problem I have with him is his movements. They aren't "dead" looking. He walks and moves like he would every day. The only difference is: he has zombie makeup on.

Howard Sherman seemed like he had to learn every movement over again like a baby (says so on the interview).
    I don't know what the hell was running through Ugene's head.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    All that really needs to be said, from my point of view, though I'd include he was poorly realized in the script, as well.

RAAAARGH!
    Although one has to wonder. Was it poor acting or the direction/insistence of GAr that the character be played this way? Or both.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Although one has to wonder. Was it poor acting or the direction/insistence of GAr that the character be played this way? Or both.
    I've always wondered if Romero was the one to hire Clark. Wasn't Big Daddy a Mexican in the script? Instead they hired a black man. That's not a problem, but did that have something to do with studio pushing for it to be closely related to Night?(black protagonist/black zombie protagonist)

I imagine Romero was the one to hire Clark, but I just can't see him being 100% okay with Clark's performance. Especially after the greatness that was Bub. Maybe time constraints played a part in not getting a solid performance?

I also seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that BD's walk was a big problem during filming and editing. They kept trying to get it to a certain point but Clark just couldn't handle it. Anyone know anything about this? I can't remember if it was on the dvd, an interview, or rumor...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    your first point seems like you just want the same scenario as the 3 films that preceded it, honestly a 4th film about stuck in a place with no visible escape would have been completely eyerolling.
    As opposed to them ACTING like they were stuck in a place with no visible escape? I mean, what's the difference between the people stuck in Day/Dawn and the people stuck in Land?? At least with a wall of zombies outside there would've been some justification for the entire populace behaving like stepping outside the walls was certain death.

If they had a visible escape why was Mulligan still there? Why was he watching his son get sicker and sicker? Everyone here knows that Mulligan and 5 good men could've gone off and started their own Fiddler's Green easily enough in the world we saw. Yet he acted like he was trapped.

for your second point i dont think kaufman would have cared if the city fell, he'd have a contingency to further secure the tower, cholo was targeting his tower, his safehouse. when that towers blown so i kaufman.
    Cholo targeted the tower because there was nothing else to target. You could blow away the walls and it wouldn't hurt the city since there was nothing attacking it. Kaufman wasn't dumb enough to believe his tower was impregnable if the rest of the city was fallen.

But let me add one point to address a problem that you've hit on - Kaufman would have to show some reliance on the people under his rule and some extravagence toward the people keeping him ruling. We have to assume those things were happening, but it'd be better to see evidence of it. That would also make Land better.

As for your 3rd and 4th points i can see what you mean adn there good points but you would just get pages on here of "NOW ONE, LIKE BUB, I COULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD, BUT ALL OF THEM LEARNING THINGS AGAIN?, THATS SHIT"
    I will admit that I like the zombies to be within a certain baseline min/max capability range. I don't like the individual outlier like Bub and BD without some serious justification. I would rather have the baseline capability change/expand over time then get the unexplained rogue zombie that is just a super-zombie.

And, yeah, we'd get an explosion of those kinds of topics. And I'd happily argue in every one em. lol
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've always wondered if Romero was the one to hire Clark. Wasn't Big Daddy a Mexican in the script? Instead they hired a black man.
    Perhaps GAr didn't want the NAACP up his ass? After all, I don't recall seeing another Black Face in the entire film. (Am i wrong?).

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The butler guy that kaufman shoots.

They should have just got Ugene drunk. He would have put on a better performance.
    Last edited by fulci fan; 17-Feb-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    The butler guy that kaufman shoots.
    I'm pretty sure Kaufman shoots a white guy. One of his partners.

He does have a black butler, though. He's in the extra scene in the unrated cut and also at the end.

"Ya got tha fuckin keeeeyysss!" Always liked the way Kaufman delivers that line...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm pretty sure Kaufman shoots a white guy. One of his partners.

He does have a black butler, though. He's in the extra scene in the unrated cut and also at the end.

"Ya got tha fuckin keeeeyysss!" Always liked the way Kaufman delivers that line...
    I thought Dennis the menace was really annoying in Land. It seemed like he thought he was hot shit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I thought Dennis the menace was really annoying in Land. It seemed like he thought he was hot shit.
    I think he's supposed to seem that way. That's the way I took it, anyway. He's the untouchable antagonist with everything but ultimately loses it all before kicking the bucket...

United States
    Yeah but if you look at it as if you were working on the movie, I think he would come off as an arrogant actor.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ah, I see what you're saying.

I don't know, though. He seems like a fun guy in the behind the scenes footage. Besides....he's Dennis motha-fuckin Hopper. He can do what he wants.

Too bad he's currently on the way out.

United States
    Too bad