Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orvar Säfström says not to get hopes up

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    As someone who worked in the comic book industry...
    !!!

Do tell, Thorn! Very cool.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i find that quite odd, too. seems that since most interviews/press releases i've read about TWD refer to NotLD, they'd make the wise choice and show the citizen kane of zombie films instead of dawn04....plus, seems like dawn04 has been on the air non-stop since 2005 or so. better yet, why not show the original dawn?

not that i have cable anymore. i'm having some buddies over that evening and while we're waiting for TWD to make it to the intertubes, we'll be enjoying the original dawn, lots of beer, and pizza.
    i think that it is beyond odd. in fact, it makes zero sense. i didn't know that NOTLD was originally scheduled to lead into "walking dead."

i just checked AMC again hoping that maybe i had read it wrong but nope, it is still dawn04.

http://movies.amctv.com/schedule/ind...ffset=0&day=31
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's probably just because Yawn is one of their latest additions to the Fear Fest line up. They know people will be tuning in for The Walking Dead, so they want as much exposure as possible. I can understand it from a business/broadcasting angle, but it makes no sense to horror/zombie fans like us. Yawn is pretty much the exact opposite of TWD....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can understand it from a business/broadcasting angle, but it makes no sense to horror/zombie fans like us. Yawn is pretty much the exact opposite of TWD....
    Exactly, which it kind of strikes me as BAD business in a way...one one hand, '04 might draw more in, but on the other, how many of them are going to be "OMG, teh zombiez don't even RUN! Why r they TALKING?!?". Having a lead in that's DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED to the type of audience you're trying to attract...

United States
    I think you guys are getting yourselves too worked up over this. They just picked the most popular zombie flick they have access to to lead up to the show. I'm sure it's nothing personal, it's just good business sense.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't think anyone is getting themselves worked up, we're just discussing AMC's poor decisions.

Seriously...Thier original line up made perfect sense. Play Night before TWD because it is Darabont's template for the show. Instead, they change it for the cheap flavor of the month. As I said before, I can understand it from a business angle, but it makes no sense when taking the material into consideration...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't think anyone is getting themselves worked up, we're just discussing AMC's poor decisions.

Seriously...Thier original line up made perfect sense. Play Night before TWD because it is Darabont's template for the show. Instead, they change it for the cheap flavor of the month. As I said before, I can understand it from a business angle, but it makes no sense when taking the material into consideration...
    ^ +1

This is me getting worked up:

Last edited by MoonSylver; 15-Oct-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spinning wildly

United States
    Oh you know what I mean!!! Not worked up per se. . just bothering to worry about it period. I agree that Night would be a better match, but Dawn 2004 is the movie that brought zombie movies back into the mainstream again, and it is the most recognizeable zombie movie there is too the general public. What's the problem? Let em play it. . .and then . . . .HOPEFULLY. . .people will stick around and see how a . . . HOPEFULLY. . .real zombie story should be told.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    As someone who worked in the comic book industry I guess I don't understand that line of thinking. They are written, drawn, inked, lettered, and colored by adults.
    Well, yeah, so is Dora the Explorer. I'm not aware of many children's media that are primarily made BY children. ;-)
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Oh you know what I mean!!! Not worked up per se. . just bothering to worry about it period..
    Take that away from us & what do we have? It's who we are. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Well, yeah, so is Dora the Explorer. I'm not aware of many children's media that are primarily made BY children. ;-)
    Oh now you're just being pedantic. Wait, THAT'S who we are & what we do as well!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Take that away from us & what do we have? It's who we are. It's what we do.

:
    Hmmm. . .point taken.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One thing is for sure....there's no way it will be Diary/Survival/ROTLD4-5 levels of bad. So at least we've got that going for us...

Speaking of....Andy/Neil, any chance we can get the chat reinstated for October 31st?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Of course if you take it out of context you could make a point out of it, but if you look at the entire post I made or even include the rest of the thought "They are written, drawn, inked, lettered, and colored by adults. The stories are generally geared towards adults and in this case specifically to adults. How does the medium the story comes to you in determine if you are too old for it." You can easily see my point.

Moreover not all books, comics or otherwise are written by and for adults.

Aces I worked as a colorist for around 4 years, for Marvel I worked as an assistant trying to crack the big time but sadly I had a falling out with the artist I worked for and I never seemed to recover from it as far as my career goes. Most of my work for myself came for a company called Continuum and they were most well-known for a boo called "The Dark" the owner of the company was also the editor and main writer, his father had a lot of money... one book I worked on was drawn by Larry Stroman. For Marvel I worked on a number of projects but sadly I was not credited. That is the life of an assistant but I worked on Nick Fury, Defenders of Dynatron City, a Conan graphic novel (Ravagers of time I think it was called?) and that was full color so that was really my proudest contribution. I also worked on silver surfer and was allowed to design a color scheme for new villains that Ron Lim introduced.

It was a good time, but I was young and head strong and my boss (who I will not name but if you are enterprising it is easy enough to do for yourself with the information given) was equally stubborn and set in his ways.

I see him from time to time and we ignore each other.

Sad really.

Ah well I can say I lived my dream once upon a time, and that is good enough for me.

Super Moderator

United States
    Thorn, thanks for sharing, man. Making personalities mesh well in the workplace can really be a bitch, I certainly have some life experience of my own in that regard.

I also worked on silver surfer and was allowed to design a color scheme for new villains that Ron Lim introduced.
    I loved some of the arcs at SS during that time period and having designed some of the colors for those villains is badass & very cool, sir!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Thorn, thanks for sharing, man. Making personalities mesh well in the workplace can really be a bitch, I certainly have some life experience of my own in that regard.

I loved some of the arcs at SS during that time period and having designed some of the colors for those villains is badass & very cool, sir!
    Thanks a ton and I totally agree, it is hard to always get along with everyone and there were mitigating circumstances here too that I will leave out. We may not get along but I respect the artist and I appreciated his giving me my break in the business and the opportunity to train under him. He was an amazing colorist and nothing can take that away from him.

Having designed their costumes even if they never appeared again (and to be honest I have not kept up with the industry) makes you feel you are a part of something, or that you shaped something and that might have been the coolest thing ever.

Thanks for the good word!