Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few computer questions...

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, I'm really starting to gear up my 'thinking about getting it' thinking now, so a few more questions:

This one first from before:

There is a 512mb model of the ATI HD4870, so would two of those in this SLI business (can someone explain that a bit for my dimwitted brain? ), be better over all than having a 1gig model of the ATI HD4870? You'd get the same power, but with the added bonus of improved video preview playback for Magic Bullet?

Now, I'd be looking for a Quad processor - but which is better these days, Intel or AMD? I've been hearing that Intel has now taken over AMD's 'Hare' if you will, and that the AMD Phenom is well known for being gash - opinions and other options please. (i.e. which Intels to choose, and which AMDs to choose).

Connected to that - any advice on models of motherboards to go along with aforementioned Quad Core processors of choice (for both Intel and AMD). I've read that Quad Core AMDs require a 790 chipset or above.

And finally - a DX10 capable card (e.g. the ATI HD4870), also handles DX9 just fine correct?

As I'd be looking to stick with XP, I'd eye up the 'unofficial' way to get DX10 on XP and not cowtow to MS' restrictive ideas.

Again, cheers for the info you're all providing lads, it's very, very useful and helps me understand my way around all this better. I wanna get my next rig just right and make sure I don't make any silly mistakes.

Administrator

England
    These guys know what they're doing... See this as an example of components. The one I've linked to is overclocked as standard...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...0DDR2%20System
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Now I've heard this "overclocking" thing before, but what on earth is it, are there downsides etc?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Now I've heard this "overclocking" thing before, but what on earth is it, are there downsides etc?
    Every machine I've owned for the past 5-6 years has been overclocked. Basically you're just running it at a faster rate than it's suppose to.

Typically most chips can be overclocked a little bit, but then start getting unstable. Most speed=more heat for example...

With the example I showed, the intel chip is so reliable the overclock is basically guarenteed. You could always just return the CPU to its original speed, which is typically just one or two settings in the BIOS menu. Easy...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, so I'm starting to get a spec together so I can then go get a quote (and no doubt find out it's too expensive if the law of the sod rears its ugly head )...anyway:

* AMD 790FX motherboard
    * AMD Quad Core Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition processor
    * 3gb RAM
    * ATI Radeon HD4870 1gb (perhaps the 4870X2 1gig) graphics card
    * Two 7200rpm hard-drives (size to be determined, considering I often use external HDDs for separate projects)
    * CD/DVD Writer and a CD/DVD player (so I can burn on the fly)
    * Firewire
    * Windows XP Professional (my preferred OS)
    * 1000w power supply (possibly 1200w, depending on if I was to end up going "CrossFire" which is ATI's version of SLI)

And a KVM Switch (I found one that seemingly does keyboard and mouse (PS/2 - which I have), monitor and importantly audio speakers, for £30.)

So:

1) What do you reckon?
    2) Anything I've missed?
    3) Are there any proper benefits OR problems with going "CrossFire" (ATI's version of SLI)?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And a KVM Switch (I found one that seemingly does keyboard and mouse (PS/2 - which I have), monitor and importantly audio speakers, for £30.)
    Does the motherboard have PS2 motherboard/mouse inputs?
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed

Hard Drive Dock

If you have SATA drives in your old computer one of these my be useful for easily transferring your data.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...369&CatId=2785

Super Moderator

UK
    Apparently it does yeah, also it apparently has Firewire already built into it.

Another thing of course, I'll have to put some though towards:

1) What if I have to set my sights a smidge lower?
    2) What if I wanted to go Intel & nVidia?

My brain hurts...

...ADDITIONAL...

Cheers for the link twistbud, but fortunately there wouldn't be a huge amount of stuff to transfer over, considering the new rig would be exclusively for video editing and gaming, so there'd only be a bit to be transferred for editing, and a few files for games ... otherwise, pretty much a fresh start - but my existing rig would remain for all other tasks and general use ... hence the need for that KVM thing.

Currently looking to put two specs together - one with AMD/ATI involved, the other with Intel/nVidia involved and get quotes on both.

I've been hearing that Intel has overtaken AMD and that Intel Core 2 Quad's are better than AMD's Phenom X4's.

Man, either I'm coming down with some sort of head cold, or it's too much computer jargon leading up to actually being able to submit for a quote at the computer shop, but my head is woozy today.

Doubt all this AMD/Intel jargon has been the cause of my gippy gut though.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Oct-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost