Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dead Snow - Zombie nazi's in the snow!

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm loathe to get drawn into yet another goddamn shambler vs. runner debate, however I agree that shamblers are thematically scarier than runners.

Runners can be scary to a degree and are, of course, scarier from a "OMG-what-if-this-really-happened" perspective, but for an overwhelming sense of dread and inescapable menace, shamblers just fill the role to a tee.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Like I said in a previous thread, they should just keep doing them till they get a masterpiece, because Nazis + zombies is a great, initial premise; two tastes that taste great together.

I'll brook no dissent on this matter
    This is why I wish they would finally make Worse Case Scenario. Some of the most awesome trailers I have ever seen. . but no movie to back it up dammit!!

Look it up. . Worst Case Scenario. .badass nazi zombies on the beach and in hot air baloons. Some freaky stuff.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm loathe to get drawn into yet another goddamn shambler vs. runner debate, however I agree that shamblers are thematically scarier than runners.

Runners can be scary to a degree and are, of course, scarier from a "OMG-what-if-this-really-happened" perspective, but for an overwhelming sense of dread and inescapable menace, shamblers just fill the role to a tee.
    I'll whip out my old chestnut argument of:

Anything running at you, screaming like a raptor, is scary.

United States

ummm. . topic people?

Agree to disagree. . etc etc. . and move on shall we?

Undisclosed

Can't find a trailer for Oasis of the Zombies but the whole movie is on youtube

Here's a guy reviewing four films with clips/trailers and British accent for the natives:

Super Moderator

UK
    Even though it was a chore watching that guy's video (I appreciate the effort, but his delivery needs work, as well as his organisation - and stop saying "erm" all the time!)

Anyway, I've got Zombie Lake and Oasis of the Zombies, had a cheesy euro-zombi phase in my final year at uni, if I'm not mistaken, and I too had seen Zombie Lake clips on "Zombiethon", and found it utterly hilarious.

I actually have an idea for my own euro-zombi spoof, but have never done anything about it before scribble some ideas down, but they're ideas nonetheless.

Norway
    I think the zombie costumes looks really good especally the muted colours on the uniform and the dead skin in contrast to the swastika. As for running zombies just do as I do and think of them as ghouls, they wont be as scary as the zombies but they will bring more action. This movie is going to come out for sure and I think its going to be pretty fun. It is defintly for the teenagers and my impression is that its not taking itself very serioursly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    There's Zombie Lake, Oasis of the Dead, Night of the Zombies, Shock Waves, Outpost and now this. Am I missing any? I haven't watched Outpost yet, but it's new and doesn't have running zombies. Tho, I do think they fire off their guns.

As for TDKs action scenes, I disagree. They were fastly cut in perfect MTV style. The car chase totally lost me.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 23-Dec-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    As for TDKs action scenes, I disagree. They were fastly cut in perfect MTV style. The car chase totally lost me.
    *Looks to the horizon to see if he can glimpse Bassman sprinting towards the thread*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    *Looks to the horizon to see if he can glimpse Bassman sprinting towards the thread*

*MZ comes barging into the thread*

Fast cut like MTV? Are you high? MTV cutting is like that "Rock Show" music video by Blink182, literally a cut every two seconds (or perhaps less crazy, depending on the show or whatever).

But Dark Knight is nowhere near MTV editing. It cuts faster than Batman 89, easily, but Batman 89 also has a far slower pace (it's practically sedate upon a recent re-viewing of it).

During the chase it doesn't cut all over the place, some cuts are fast, but other shots hold for a good solid length of time, it's more about cutting to suit the specific moments, and the cutting varies throughout the film, but mostly it cuts a nice medium between fast cutting, and slow cutting ... so really, moderate speed cutting - and that in itself, depends entirely on the scene at hand.

It's not like TDK is "Spun" or anything! Far from it!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Hiya!

I agree with MZ....TDK is nowhere near the fast cut style of most films today. Especially when you compare it to Batman Begins. Begins was close to the style, but not quite as bad as most.

One thing to consider about the 6 key Imax scenes in TDK.....the Imax film is so large the cameras can only hold three minutes of footage. So they had to work around that and did a great job of it, if you ask me.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Ok, still sounds fun to me! The minute I saw the zombies in the trailer I was hoping for a decent beginning and a fun ride, you could tell it wouldn't be oozing with loads of true fright, dread or the like, but I'll take fun.

Thanks for the heads up, Neil!

Soon tension goes out the window and you find yourself wondering «Hey! Where the fuck did he get that gatling gun?!»

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *MZ comes barging into the thread*

Fast cut like MTV? Are you high? MTV cutting is like that "Rock Show" music video by Blink182, literally a cut every two seconds (or perhaps less crazy, depending on the show or whatever).

But Dark Knight is nowhere near MTV editing. It cuts faster than Batman 89, easily, but Batman 89 also has a far slower pace (it's practically sedate upon a recent re-viewing of it).
    Well. Again, I just disagree. I'm thinking about both the Hong Kong scene and Car Chase really. Both of the scenes totally lost me, and both of the scenes were definetly too heavy on the cutting. Reminded me alot of that modern "MTV editing" people keep criticizing around here.

(and when I say lost me, I mean literally, lost me. Both of em, and that only happens when there's real fast pacing and editing at work. Nope, no, sir... TDK is definetly not outside of that fold!)
    Last edited by EvilNed; 06-Jan-2009 at 01:59 PM.

United States
    Ok, so I just randomly found a whole clip from this movie. Very funny. It's a spoiler though so watcher beware.

http://www.vladtv.com/video/3072/oh-no-zombie-nazis/