• UK

8 44.44%
  • USA

10 55.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rock 'n' Roll, UK or USA?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The punk movement in Britain never really started until the Ramones toured there. Come on now!! New York Dolls were the band to finally kick off the punk movement. . although they were a little glam. . .they were the granddaddies of the New York punk scene. Which predates the Uk's scene by a bit.
    The man is correct. The Ramones formed in late 1974 and that early sound was the fallout from proto-punk artists such as the New York Dolls and The Stooges. Malcolm McLaren took all that home with him from New York in late 1975 and then punk was formed in the UK.

BUT punk was bigger in the UK and opened it up to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    My contraversial view is that The Clash aren't punk anyway.
    The Clash's first two records are punk all the way.

I love music from both sides but the Sex Pistols are my favourite group of all-time and that's why I chose the UK.

Undisclosed
    Besides being somewhat british, im going with the US personally because Lynyrd Skynyrd was probally the best thing that happened to me musically.
    And Becae i love Screamo Post-hardore electronica type of shit the US have to do it for me.

Man lives, in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit.....a DARKSIDE.

-Tales From The Darkside!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    If I had to pick between the two - and I'm not particularly attached to either tbh - I'd go with the UK.

To my mind, American rock is - not entirely but mostly - either about getting high, getting rich and having sex with strippers, or taking yourself way too seriously while simultaneously selling out to MTV. When I think of American rock stars I think of Kiss, Motley Crue, Guns n' Roses (who I love but still fall into this), Metallica and the like.

When I think of British rock, I think of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Status Quo, The Who, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc. Bands that some might find cheesy but have an innocently intellectual spirit not typical of American bands.

I will admit that I'm using vast generalities here. But you have to in order to answer a question like this.

Kazakhstan
    I think it's still arguable re: punk, as nobody can ever define exactly what punk is

The Ramones' first LP was certainly a catalyst for that kind of sound, but then something was brewing in the London Pub Rock scene wayyy before that LP came out, London SS was kicking about in 75, and they were basically The Clash v0.5.

I think different sides pioneered different aspects, and punk as a whole doesn't belong to anyone.

Most early UK punk took it's cues from Stooges & Dolls (Ramones definitely had an influence on most of the scene, but can you really hear it on the pistols LP? I can't, all I hear is Dolls & Stooges, Chuck Berry with extra balls), but the later, more politicised & angry US Punk bands were surely taking their cues from the Pistols & The Clash
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Judas Priest

United States
    I can't even Vote on this one. It's even steven for me.

The BEatles are my all time favorite band but both countries are solid:

Bruce Springsteen
    The Ramones
    Metallica
    Fleetwood Mac (Formed by the English Mick Fleetwood)
    REM
    The Doors
    Van Halen
    The Eagles
    Aerosmith
    Dead Kennedys
    Nirvana
    Hendrix
    Foriegner (American singer?)
    CCR
    Doobie Bros
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Police (American drummer?) lol
    Jefferson Starship, er Airplane, er ..
    ZZ Top
    X

Sheeeeeet

Then there's all the great UK Bands

Stones, The Who, Led Zep, The Clash, Sex Pistols and on and on

I CANT VOTE onthis POLL !
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!