Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: land of the dead? greatest film ever?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    at this time I am against closing the LAND board. Only because it gives me a forum to bitch and moan about LAND

This is why I (and a good number of others, I'm sure) would like the Dawn(04) board to still be around

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    This is why I (and a good number of others, I'm sure) would like the Dawn(04) board to still be around
    Actually you could get rid of this board. There is not as many posts about LAND, plus with the new message board system posts about Land wouldn't really get lost like they did because everytime a post is replied to it rises to the top.

Also, Andy could put in the DEAD discussion board sub sections

DAWN 04
    LAND
    Other Zombie films

This way you could just keep it under the DEAD DISCUSSION banner instead of having one whole section.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds good to me, I guess.

I was just kinda taking a stab at you because of all the "Land" hating.

Just joshing around, you know...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Sounds good to me, I guess.

I was just kinda taking a stab at you because of all the "Land" hating.

Just joshing around, you know...
    Oh I know and I don't mind
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    well, since this is the first time I've seen a post saying "we should get rid of this board" if it's anythign like the Dawn04 one it'll be 2008 before it goes

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Actually you could get rid of this board. There is not as many posts about LAND, plus with the new message board system posts about Land wouldn't really get lost like they did because everytime a post is replied to it rises to the top.

Also, Andy could put in the DEAD discussion board sub sections

DAWN 04
    LAND
    Other Zombie films

This way you could just keep it under the DEAD DISCUSSION banner instead of having one whole section.
    *nods and points silent bob style* thats a damn good idea.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's productive opinion chatter ... and then there's flogging a dead horse over ONE DAMN ISSUE. That's my point.

Also, this forum will probably be closed down at some point, I don't know anything official as it hasn't been discussed, but it'll probably go sometime once Land has been around for a tad longer I'd guess.

As for Yawn04, GAR's right, it starts off not too bad ... but I find as more characters come into it the worse it gets, sh*t, the longer it goes on the worse it gets. *haha, Jason just sliced a guy in two on Sci-Fi, noiiice*

That's my take, for f*ck sake let's not flog another horse over this minor comment, dang.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie

As for Yawn04, GAR's right, it starts off not too bad ... but I find as more characters come into it the worse it gets, sh*t, the longer it goes on the worse it gets.
    funny, thats exactly how I feel about Land

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Super Moderator

UK
    *sigh*

One of these days I'll blow my head off ... oh wait I won't, we don't have guns in the UK ... well, criminals do, the good guys have sticks painted black. How hard are we?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well your watching big brother that should do the job.

Undisclosed
    Land of the Dead is the weakest of the 4.

And I don't buy the whole argument that just like Day, everyone will love it in 10-15 years. In 10 years Big Daddy will still be retarded. Money having value in such a setting will still be retarded. Denis Hopper's death scene will still be retarded. Them letting Big Daddy and evolving zombie army live at the end after they trashed Fiddler's Green will still be retarded.

In short, the many things that make Land retarded will still be retarded.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236
    well, since this is the first time I've seen a post saying "we should get rid of this board" if it's anythign like the Dawn04 one it'll be 2008 before it goes

that pretty funny

let kick the horse some more, maybe it will come back to life.

i liked the one idea about a voice over of land, i think it wold of helped the overall appeal and yes stroy line, giving some back story for non zombie fans.

yea hate to say but i have watched land on my laptop at least 50 times since moving - only movie i have on it - and yea there are some good things, but the stinky crap that does exist outweighs those. how i would love to kick big daddy in the balls and tbag him to give him something to howl about.

also did anyone notice the zombies flinching when they chopped away the opening and a hanging zombies had scared then. that was pretty weak. fear isnt a zombie trait.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by panic
    Land of the Dead is the weakest of the 4.

And I don't buy the whole argument that just like Day, everyone will love it in 10-15 years. In 10 years Big Daddy will still be retarded. Money having value in such a setting will still be retarded. Denis Hopper's death scene will still be retarded. Them letting Big Daddy and evolving zombie army live at the end after they trashed Fiddler's Green will still be retarded.

In short, the many things that make Land retarded will still be retarded.
    and the drunken irish man, mad frankenstein doctor, black guy with undefinable accent and over the top, barely believable characters from day will still be retarded in another 10 years. why is it that everyone seems to overlook day's obvious flaws? the fact that it is remembered as a classic twenty years later only proves the point that a movie with obvious flaws and a rabidly dismal critical response (like day had) can still find its place...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ipotts85
    back on the old forums i had so many threads dedicated to trying to convince others that land really was an excellent dead film...

just give it fifteen years and it will be truly appreciated.
    You could give it 50 years and the everything everyone hates about the film will still be in the finished edit in whatever format is dominating the home video technology market in 2056. You can't polish a turd, you can't groom a turd. There is only one way to handle a turd. Throw it away.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Banned User

United States
    I find it funny how die-hard GAR fans are always saying "Day was hated when it first came out, but over time people came to love it and it finally got the recognition it deserved....".

Guys...the fact of the matter is: the only people who think that Day is a classic, or that it deserves recognition, is the die-hard fans themselves.

Outside of horror freaks, not many people even know it exists, and very few have seen it. And, most of those who have still think it's a turd.

It was a failed attempt at a cash in. GAR gutted a script that was near and dear to his heart (so much so that, twenty years later, the concept wound up in Land) and made it a vehicle for Savini SFX...hoping it could revitalize his own career--which was starting to stall after Knightriders bombed and Creepshow didn't do as well as hoped.

The only level on which Day succeeds is in the SFX department. Plain and simple. In that respect, it's a masterpiece and can still hold its own today...but on every other level it's substandard at best.

One interesting parallel that I find with the question of Day and Land's suspect quality is the fact that the die hard fans keep saying "give it another chance--watch it as many times as it takes till you finally like it." That's how I (for one) became a fan of Day--I watched it over and over again as a kid. Initially, I watched it for the SFX, and fast forwarded through all the bad acting and bull$****....and in time, I started to like the rest. I became FAMILIAR with it...but now, in retrospect, I think I confused the ideas of familiarity with quality. Even my good buddy Arcades057 admits that the more he watches Land, the more he "likes" it--but I don't think he's enjoying it more with every viewing...I suspect he's just becoming more familiar with it. And, like alot of GAR fans that don't like Land, he feels the need to watch it out of respect for the others...just like alot of fans of Dawn watched Day and gave it more chances than it really deserved.

In fifty years, I think the only people, if any, who'll be talking about Land will be the last few GAR fans still around....and it'll still be considered the weakest of the series.
    Last edited by Svengoolie; 30-May-2006 at 09:14 PM.