Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dredd (film) - Judge Dredd movie

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Fck sake, is that hard to make a bleedin Judge Dredd movie?
    Yes. MBAs can screw up a one float parade.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It always happens with sammich's MBA's! They're the problem with EVERYTHING!

Ireland
    I've absolutely no idea what an MBA is.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    I've absolutely no idea what an MBA is.
    They are people that paid a "school" lots of money for a pretty piece of paper to hang on the wall that claims they are "qualified" to tell others how to do their jobs even though the MBAs have no clue of doing the jobs themselves.

Why a Rise in M.B.A.s Coincided with the Fall of American Industry - TIME

Reasons why your MBA degree is worthless

Actually, 40 Years Of Data Show The MBA Effectively Does Nothing -- It Has No Impact

If you want a recent example of how destructive MBAs are look at what happened to THQ games:

THQ devs call for execs to be fired, "uDraw failure is the largest and most recent"

THQ was driven to the edge of bankruptcy, didn't even show up to E3 and resorted to selling off it's game licenses.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Don't know why they just can't copy the suit from flippin comic. Fck sake, is that hard to make a bleedin Judge Dredd movie?
    Black tights and giant armor that makes no practical sense? Stallone version already tried that.

I like the changes made for Dredd. Inspired by the comic but actually looks like a functional futuristic law enforcement uniform.

What looks good for a comic doesn't always translate well to film.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    They are people that paid a "school" lots of money for a pretty piece of paper to hang on the wall that claims they are "qualified" to tell others how to do their jobs even though the MBAs have no clue of doing the jobs themselves.

Why a Rise in M.B.A.s Coincided with the Fall of American Industry - TIME

Reasons why your MBA degree is worthless

Actually, 40 Years Of Data Show The MBA Effectively Does Nothing -- It Has No Impact

If you want a recent example of how destructive MBAs are look at what happened to THQ games:

THQ devs call for execs to be fired, "uDraw failure is the largest and most recent"

THQ was driven to the edge of bankruptcy, didn't even show up to E3 and resorted to selling off it's game licenses.
    Ah right, so you mean people with "Masters" degrees that the did in night courses, or whatever.

Yep, there's a lot of that going on over here too. People going to night school for a year and coming out with a Masters in this and that and still not having a clue what they're going on about.

Most people tend not to buy into them as a relevant qualification though.

-- -------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Black tights and giant armor that makes no practical sense? Stallone version already tried that.

I like the changes made for Dredd. Inspired by the comic but actually looks like a functional futuristic law enforcement uniform.

What looks good for a comic doesn't always translate well to film.
    Dredd's uniform is an integral part of his "character". Of course, it's no real practical use, but so what? It's a comic. Dicking about with elements like that will just alienate fans and keeping the original uniform, or Lawmaster (for that matter) wouldn't have made the film any less "realistic".

Stalone's abortion of a film didn't even get a single thing correct, never mind the uniform.

At least Karl Urban will keep his helmet on.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Ah right, so you mean people with "Masters" degrees that the did in night courses, or whatever.

Yep, there's a lot of that going on over here too. People going to night school for a year and coming out with a Masters in this and that and still not having a clue what they're going on about.

Most people tend not to buy into them as a relevant qualification though.
    I am talking specifically about Master of BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION. Other masters desgrees require that one has knowledge in the appropriate fields of study, i.e. a masters in engineering requires one knows about engineering. The vast majority of MBAs on the other hand are straight out of school with little to no experience in the industries they get hired. I know of people that have worked years, some decades, in a profitable business, only to be told by some newly hired snot nosed kid (isn't neoptism fun?) with a MBA that they are doing their jobs completely wrong and instructed how to their work more "efficiently". Some were outright laid off or fired. The positions were either completely eliminated and work piled onto others without proper compensation or outsourced to some 3rd world country. All of which were done by MBA nobheads who were merely doing so to justify their own jobs because in reality they don't know anything else but to order others around. This is one of main reasons why the quality of products from the U.S. has taken a nosedive.

The MBA was created as a way for the very rich families to show that junior has a "degree" and "network" with others who breathe rarified air from their ivory towers. Most of all it is a mechanism protect their kiddies from having to get real jobs where one would have to work their way up the ladder like the rest of us peons. This system doesn't work if you don't go to an Ivy League school as mentioned in the "Reasons why your MBA degree is worthless" article.

Companies in Japan take a different route. It doesn't matter if you are newly hired CEO, EVERYONE has to spend time doing work at all levels of the company. The example I saw was for a motorcycle manufacturer where the new execs were placed on the assembly line. Not only does this give them an idea of how the company functions but also an appreciation for the work done by those below them.

That is all I have to say about MBAs for now and return you to the Judge Dredd thread...

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    What the hell do MBA's have to do with Judge Dredd?

Administrator

England
    Some comments from footage of the new one - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56944
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Currently 100% on RottenTomatoes after 13 reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Sounds awesome!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Currently 100% on RottenTomatoes after 13 reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Sounds awesome!
    Nice! Recon I'll see it in 2D though... Although I believe it has some bullet time effects which could be cool in 3D??!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've heard it's rating 18 in the UK - a rare (nowadays at least) situation of a studio not opting to cut the movie for a 15 rating here in the UK (it's now somewhat de rigour to trim a flick from an 18 to a 15, or a 15 to a 12A in the UK). I'll hold off on the cinema, mind, and see how it is received. Perhaps I'll go straight for the DVD/Blu-Ray option. I'm opting for that more-and-more these days with flicks that I know I'll rather enjoy, so why spend half (or more) of the DVD/Blu-Ray price on a one-time trip to the cinema, which is a 75mile round-trip for us, visiting a cinema staffed by morons where it's all digital projection? I can spend a few quid more and get a copy of my own to watch as many times as I want replete with extra features.

Anyway, Dredd certainly looks like good fun - nice to see a 'comic book movie' going for the full guts n gore, rather than softening itself down to try and be part of the pack. I think it was made for a relatively modest budget, so that'll be why they could afford to go bloody, just like with Kick Ass.

Administrator

England
    Any opinions on it yet?
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Hard 'R', violent, true to the comic's spirit, perfect 'midnight' movie ... And so on. Haven't read a single negative review for this.
    Consider me hyped.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58298

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Hard 'R', violent, true to the comic's spirit, perfect 'midnight' movie ... And so on. Haven't read a single negative review for this.
    Consider me hyped.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58298
    Here's IGN's review of it (a review that, for a change, has been intelligently written and has an actual structure to it, rather than the typical lazy ramblings) - they dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTsSsAakHjk&hd=1

While I'm unlikely to see it in the cinema, with so many good reviews, this is shaping up to be a Blu-Ray purchase for sure. Looks right up my street, and I'm very glad that it's a hard "R", rather than pussifying the source material to get a lower rating. I've got "The Raid" pre-ordered, so I'll see that first, then catch Dredd on Blu-Ray when it's available.