Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I don't know why everyone has a problem........

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Or if there was some greater urgency to get to Atlanta that kept him from being methodical in his search.
    not to sound like too much of a smart-ass, but aside from the obvious that his wife and kid were out there without him in the middle of the zombie apocalypse?

and seriously, this gas-situation is such a non-issue. maybe darabont decided it was implied that he'd already exhausted a few options and simply was tired of fucking around with trying to siphon gas...

Ireland
    About this petrol business...

Didn't Rick already run out of petrol on a stretch of road and had to start walking? That's NOT a great situation to be in, especially when zombies don't tire and you can only outrun them for a little while and it's an even shorter amount of time in the Atlanta heat, carrying a bag full of guns.

The horse won't run out of fuel, it's speedy enough to put distance between you and the dead and it'll handle cross country better than any car.

The horse makes perfect sense, so can we drop all the silly talk?

Thanks.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The horse won't run out of fuel, it's speedy enough to put distance between you and the dead and it'll handle cross country better than any car.

The horse makes perfect sense, so can we drop all the silly talk?
    I considered it dropped a while ago I completely agree with you.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A car won't get scared when confronted with a handful of zombies.

If said zombies do make it to you a car will serve as a temporary barrier until you get your bearings and formulate a plan.

A car doesn't get hungry or tired. Or toss you off into a horde for that matter.

A car can run a hundred of those sun a bitches over. A horse cannot.

The only drawback is finding fuel, yes. However a living beast needs fuel too, it's called food and water and one that big needs alot of it.

Oh and a car doesn't need to rest or sleep.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    On that note, why didn't Rick just drive the tank out of there?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Dying

United States
    I'm guessing that Rick's training as a small-town police officer didn't really include how to drive a tank. Clearly an oversight on the criminal justice system's part.

Super Moderator

United States
    Uh, clearly Rick should have taken a gyrocopter, a flamethrower and a vorpal glaive +5.

Seems like there are enough reasons that make sense within the context of the story for Rick's choice to be believable enough.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    I'm guessing that Rick's training as a small-town police officer didn't really include how to drive a tank. Clearly an oversight on the criminal justice system's part.
    Yeah, you'd think all small-town police would be trained in this sort of thing - War on "Terrists" and all that...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Uh, clearly Rick should have taken a gyrocopter, a flamethrower and a vorpal glaive +5.

Seems like there are enough reasons that make sense within the context of the story for Rick's choice to be believable enough.
    Bingo. It's all in the context.
    Kill 'em All

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    To be fair he had all the time in the world to figure out how to start it & move it though, cant be all that hard! After all if you go to one of those military adventure parks they let civvies drive tanks around after about 20 minutes showing them the controls

United States
    I do not have a problem with him riding a horse really, it is not my first choice in his situation but we have to make some assumptions and suspend our believe a bit.

1) I assume he was looking for gas for a long time and having trouble
    2) I believe he was having trouble at points navigating due to cars and debris in the road like corpses, fallen branches, other cars, and so on.
    3) He is a sensible guy, he might say to himself “Horses eat grass and hay not gas… plenty of grass and hay along the way” “Horses are smaller and more mobile, it would be easy to dodge in and out of congestion and such” “Horses jump I might even be able to leap over obstacles”
    In the comic I always felt as if the idea was just to portray him in a cowboy hat on a horse for the iconic imagery. A sheriff riding off to restore order to his life, his town, the world. I think they liked that sort of visual and the feelings it would stir up.

I am glad it was not changed for the show. I am a comic guy as you may remember and with that “crowd” you find it is easy to let things go or suspend disbelief even more so than with movie guys. This was not a problem for the readers then really, and it is not a problem for me now. You take it for what it is worth, you might even snicker at it and that is cool. It evokes some reaction from you, as long as you get the original intent of the writer even if you don’t dig it at least you can get a clear picture of HIS intent.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hey, that suspend your belief thing might be worth a try.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can't believe nobody has brought up the fence climbers in episode 2....

That kinda irked me. Especially when you consider a scene that took place before it near the start of the episode...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by joeharley666 View Post
    Grimes decision to use the horse, and why everyone thinks this show is overrated.

First, he's out of gas, he's exhausted all options. He see's the horse, has some experience with the horse, maybe a little rusty, but nonetheless comfortable. Complain all you want about the way Darabont set up the mob zombie scene, but Grimes reacted like a normal human being under duress. He was over-come with a horde. Yes he was warned by the black guy that in groups they are dangerous, but he only had experience with a walker here and there. As far as he was concerned there were human beings in Atlanta. I don't care how much training he had as an officer, this was a new world that he in a coma when it went down. This was a threat that was a greater force. What was he supposed to to, pull off the 200 plus walkers one at a time off the horse while he was surrounded. No! He did what any normal being who loves animals would do, try the best he can to survive a swarm that had blanketed him and the horse in seconds. No way no how, this was as realistic as it gets for a human being. I think most of you were expecting Rambo to save the day, no way, Darabont know what works.

And as far as being overrated, can't see that either. Just thank your lucky stars that Darabont is presenting us a world with the general rules with something extra and with great character driven development and horror. Thank your lucky stars this is not based on "Return of the Living Dead" or something worse. Darabont is giving us something we waited our whole lives for on American television that we will probably never get again. We are lucky that this genre is finally presented with some respect, and it's because of Kirkman and Darabont. Thanks guys. I see nothing overrated at all.
    Just my thoughts......
    Im with ya on this buddy! Shit what else would we have if Darabont didn't come along....FREAKIN' JACK SHIT!"

We gave plenty of time for Romero or anyone else to jazz us up.......so for now im with TWD!

Only one thing that got me is that we learned in GAR'S zombie world is that the dead have no taste for animals...

Guess ill check off yet another thing Darabont stole can you say Return of the Living Dead? lmao
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    ...I am a comic guy...
    I feckin knew it!

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....