Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Darabont leaving The Walking Dead!?!?!?

Administrator

England
    Little bit more over at AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50767

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I believe thats the same thing hellsing posted on the previous page...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Aug-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I believe thats the same thing hellsing posted on the previous page...
    It is, but possible just with some AICN take on it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    It's not the budget cut that's the worry (though the CGI is probably the first place you'll notice it), it's this douchebag at AMC who has this idea of effectively making a zombie show with hardly any zombies in it. All this talk of wanting half the episode set indoors and episodes where you can hear them but not see them sounds like the words of an executive who doesn't know the first thing about film/TV production, more bottom-lines and shareholders. The fact that is guy isn't on speaking terms with Matt Weiner doesn't just smack of unprofessionalism but sounds like he's on an ego trip fuelled by these shows successes. I guess the long term future of the show depends on Glen Mazzara, if he's just there to implement this guys cost cutting idea's then I think season 3 is likely to be dreadful and the show will be cancelled as a result. Hopefully someone with a more level headed approach at AMC will see what's happening and sit this guy down and give an good talking to, or show him door – otherwise, I'm sure that there are plenty of other networks that would be more than happy to take it on and do it properly and reap the rewards, which as we have seen, are potentially massive.

Undisclosed
    Sad. Let's hope Nicotero & Kirkman can maintain a certain degree of quality. Can't imagine Kirkman letting his baby go the 'Heroes' way. Better to pull the plug than deliver a Walking Dead lite with hardly any zombies in there methinks. Sigh

England
    What a shocker IF true.

This is going to seem a strange thing to say but aren't Breaking Bad and Mad Men due to finish in a couple of seasons. If TWD can scrape through the next 2 seasons there is hope long term.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    This is going to seem a strange thing to say but aren't Breaking Bad and Mad Men due to finish in a couple of seasons. If TWD can scrape through the next 2 seasons there is hope long term.
    Breaking Bad's creator has said he wants to end the show after the fifth season. They're currently airing the fourth. Mad Men just signed a contract for three more seasons, so it's not going anywhere. AMC also has a show or two still waiting to premiere...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Aug-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Sounds like they need to get shot of this Stillerman, who sounds like a right bell end, and apologise profusely to Darabont.

I do hope that the TWD folks pull through this, as it's a truly great show, but AMC need to buck up their ideas. It'd be extremely disappointing if all we managed to get were two seasons, with a second season being affected by a non-sensical budget cut.

England
    Breaking Bad's creator has said he wants to end the show after the fifth season. They're currently airing the fourth. Mad Men just signed a contract for three more seasons, so it's not going anywhere. AMC also has a show or two still waiting to premiere...
    My point is that once Breaking Bad is gone then The Walking Dead moves up the ladder of importance. It should be up there anyway down to the audience numbers alone but with AMC owning it outright and the deals done with MM & BB we now know thats not gonna happen for the foreseeable future. AMC are obviously new to this and are learning some harsh lessons on how to set up show deals. Hopefully they won't spread themselves so thinly budget wise in the future and back the shows that deserve the money.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    Although it's silly of AMC to harm TWD, their biggest success yet, it kinda makes sense when you consider that it's the only show they fully own. So they take the money from their own show and pump it into Breaking Bad and Mad Men, both of which are owned by movie studios that always have the right to shop around at other networks.. Sony and Lionsgate, I believe it is. AMC wants to keep them in bed together. So AMC is doing their best to keep those shows on their network, but hurting their only OWNED show in the process. It's a shame, really.

And now that we know Darabont was actually fired rather than quit, what does that mean to his friends and collaborators? Of course the actors are going to stay on for a while, but what about Nicotero? Kirkman? Those guys were only really doing it because of Darabont. What if they walk in protest?

The future of TWD does not look good...
    Yeh, it looks f*cked. To good to be true, I spose. Why is it that when a good thing gets created, there's always some prick in a suit that comes along a wrecks it?

I hate american TV.

Can't see this show surviving much longer with this kind of carry on.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    My point is that once Breaking Bad is gone then The Walking Dead moves up the ladder of importance. It should be up there anyway down to the audience numbers alone but with AMC owning it outright and the deals done with MM & BB we now know thats not gonna happen for the foreseeable future. AMC are obviously new to this and are learning some harsh lessons on how to set up show deals. Hopefully they won't spread themselves so thinly budget wise in the future and back the shows that deserve the money.
    Indeed, if anything they should just let Breaking Bad go to another channel - Gilligan only wants to do one more season, so what are you really going to gain? TWD is producing season two (of hopefully many) right now, so it's much earlier on in its cycle, it's been insanely successful, and they own it outright ... but no, that Stillerman douchebag does it the moron way.

If they'd let Breaking Bad go for the one remaining season, that money could be ploughed into TWD and Mad Men (if they must insist on the latter), rather than damaging the former. It's such a stupid approach - as I've said before, AMC should fire that idiot, apologise profusely to the TWD folks, and now let Breaking Bad go for that final season ... not to mention not bite off more than they can chew.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    If they'd let Breaking Bad go for the one remaining season, that money could be ploughed into TWD and Mad Men (if they must insist on the latter), rather than damaging the former. It's such a stupid approach - as I've said before, AMC should fire that idiot, apologise profusely to the TWD folks, and now let Breaking Bad go for that final season ... not to mention not bite off more than they can chew.
    I very, very much disagree. Between Breaking Bad and TWD, Breaking Bad is the better show by miles. We may want TWD to be their number one priority because we're zombie fans, but BB takes the lead as it's been established for years, received rave reviews, earned numerous awards for directing, wrting, acting, and just a generally all around better show. It would be foolish of AMC to drop Breaking Bad now. BB along with Mad Men are AMC's bread and butter. Whether we like it or not, TWD is the red headed step child that's going to get the short end of the stick.

At this point i'm starting to be okay with that. As much as I want to see TWD continue and be great, they've now fired the guy that mainly kept me interested, so now i'm going to go back to being more interested in what's going to happen to Walter White and Jesse Pinkman.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Aug-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    I just wish this happened during the season they were planning to be:

in the prison.

That could have allowed some nice budgetary cuts on some episodes while leaving money to be plowed into a few key larger bits of the season. Looks like some slowed down, personal, storytime and dialog heavy episodes are in order.

Honestly, they need to worry about writing and plot more than anything else. The first season was very good with some standouts and a few meh moments and the correct writing and seasonal outline could make the subsequent seasons fantastic.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I just wish this happened during the season they were planning to be:

in the prison.
    Perhaps that will happen during the third season. Aren't they already done filming this season? Therefore budget cuts should only effect CGI, really. So maybe it's a good thing they didn't hit that point in the story this season, as it can be sort of a crutch for the third's [possible] lack of budget.

Also, for those worrying about Darabont leaving the show: you shouldn't be extremely worried until you read headlines "ROBERT KIRKMAN TO LEAVE THE WALKING DEAD"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Aren't they already done filming this season? Therefore budget cuts should only effect CGI, really. So maybe it's a good thing they didn't hit that point in the story this season, as it can be sort of a crutch for the third's [possible] lack of budget.
    They'll be filming until November. As for that certain set piece, Kirkman and Darabont have both said in interviews that we won't see it until the third season. Of course that can all change now that the network is calling for more interiors....
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Aug-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: .