Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *ugh* ... computers ...

Banned User

United States
    Did you check ebay for hard drives? they have some decent prices. I am too poor to talk to a professional. I myself been without internet access for a week or so now. Today is my first day back on. I got a blue screen showing "unmountable_boot_volume" I could not even get into safe mode.
    but I took the chance and went to the library and googled my way to a fix. I amazed myself and found what I needed to do to fix it myself. I went nuts going without internet access for so long. I never realized what a net addict I was till this crap.

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't use eBay, I don't trust it and would rather get a professional to handle my computer - which went into the shop last week.

Canada
    There is really no reason I can think of to go anywhere else than www.newegg.com for hardware I dont think I would really Ebay hardware, unless it is for notebook parts, or specialized motherboards, like for a dell pc or whatnot. You can save a ton on those two things, and I just picked up a xerox docucentre 340 photocopier printer, with mailbox, stapler, fax server, 500s sheet capacity, for $250 us on ebay. (pickup)

Also I recommend a webpage called www.logmein.com for super easy to use remote desktop, I use it to support my parents computers that are 300 miles away, easy as being in front of it. I also use it as a free VPN solution for people with home offices who need to access a home desktop from the road. XP has built in remote assistance, but this program is just WAY easier to use, I use it to start and stop downloads from my home pc. And its free.

And for printer issues, www.fixyourownprinter.com is great, keep those older printers working, has easy to fix parts with quicktime videos, plus great free forums, super handy if you have a printer question.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CivilDefense View Post
    There is really no reason I can think of to go anywhere else than www.newegg.com for hardware I dont think I would really Ebay hardware, unless it is for notebook parts, or specialized motherboards, like for a dell pc or whatnot. You can save a ton on those two things, and I just picked up a xerox docucentre 340 photocopier printer, with mailbox, stapler, fax server, 500s sheet capacity, for $250 us on ebay. (pickup).
    Spoken like the rest of us true computer geeks.

He's right, newegg sometimes even has better prices than the bozos on ebay, and they're a HELL of a lot more trustworthy.

One other place to look is ZipZoomFly.com - good prices (sometimes can beat newegg, but usually the same) and free 2 day Fedex delivery.

Newegg - a computer geeks favorite place to shop. It sure is mine.

LC

Super Moderator

UK
    *tsst* You Americans get all the cool services...

Computer wasn't ready today (probably only got round to it today - he had a phat backlog when I dropped it in last week), hopefully tomorrow I'll have it back *sigh* ... I simply must run around WW2 Europe and kill Nazis on COD2 now!!! And I've got such a backlog of downloaded Top Gear episodes to re-watch!

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't use eBay, I don't trust it and would rather get a professional to handle my computer - which went into the shop last week.

So far I only had one bad experience from ebay. But your right unless you know someone that bought fropm a particular seller you never know what you will get. I bought a pretty damn good IBM think pad from ebay once for $250.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    Hmm, you could try and startup in safe mode, press F8 when the computer boots.
    There should also be an option to confirm each file on startup, you can go through them and find out exactly where the computer hangs.
    Cheers dude, I'm gonna have to ask if I can pick your brain again

Ok, I've gone through several modes, (various safe mode start ups) here's what I know.

1. Screen flickers on the windows professional (blue loading snake bar screen) then fades back in, after that the screen goes black. Lights on the keyboard go out. No further response.

2. In safe mode, it boots to "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\syste m 32\drivers\mup.sys" then gives the option of "press esc cancel loading of SPDT.sys" whatever you do, the computer fails to load any further then this.

All other moods do nothing more then this. Hope you can help bro.

Scotland
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Seems to be a common problem without a sure solution.

Either the mup.sys file is corrupt, or there is a problem after the mup.sys file as the mup.sys file is the last to load before windows should start.

There are a couple things you can try.

First, unplug all USB devises and try restarting, if that works then reinstall your USB devices and run scandisk.

If it doesn't work, check out this webpage and read the 4th post:
    So I boot the computer from the XP Setup CD and loaded the Recovery console, where at the prompt I typed 'chkdsk' and hit enter. When the check disk operation completed the message said that a few hard disk errors were found and chkdsk utility fixed them automatically. I restarted the computer and BANG- windows XP loaded successfully.
    Hope this helps !!
    However reading back it looks like you lost your XP disk so this is only helpful if you can download these Windows XP startup disks and get them working.

They are my best bets, but you can keep on looking yourself, just put mup.sys into google and explore.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Seems to be a common problem without a sure solution.

Either the mup.sys file is corrupt, or there is a problem after the mup.sys file as the mup.sys file is the last to load before windows should start.

There are a couple things you can try.

First, unplug all USB devises and try restarting, if that works then reinstall your USB devices and run scandisk.

If it doesn't work, check out this webpage and read the 4th post:

However reading back it looks like you lost your XP disk so this is only helpful if you can download these Windows XP startup disks and get them working.

They are my best bets, but you can keep on looking yourself, just put mup.sys into google and explore.
    Cheers bro. I'm downloading it as I type. Need to find a floppy and work out just how to turn the floppy into an installer. If this doesn't work, I think I'll have to re-install. But cheers for all the help bro.

Thanks again

(I now need to find floppy disks) >.>