Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discuss the Diary DVD (so who got their copy today?)

United States
    so the buddy of mine from work who borrowed diary really didn't like it at all, and for some of the same reasons many others find fault with it: inconsistencies with numbers of ghouls in various places (samuel's farm vs. the militia warehouse), over-saturation of the commentary, moronic jason filming while his girl is being attacked by her re-animated brother (not to mention her and tony suddenly becoming best pals), and the professor and his cynical attitude and flask. he said the film never once was suspenseful or scary. on most points i agree, the film was fun in theaters, but it's really lost its luster. still better than most crap that us zombie fans must suffer through.

i did assure him, however, that romero's dawn of the dead is hands-down the most epic horror film ever. he's probably gonna swing over this weekend for a viewing. as i've mentioned, he's a fan of the original notld and will probably love dawn....otherwise i'm gonna have to cut all ties with him.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 04-Jun-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I just saw the contents and yeah, we got s**tloads more. Wonder why that is?
    Cos we're awesomer than they are, nuff said really.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Cos we're awesomer than they are, nuff said really.
    we need to have a middle finger smiley on here.

i've watched this a couple of more times and despite its problems, i still like it. it isn't a movie that makes me want to flip for a peanut but i don't think it is horrible (or even bad). certainly not george's best (not even close) but certainly not the worst movie he's ever done.

the commentary was interesting but after listening to the day and dawn commentaries (which are awesome - you are cheating yourself if you haven't llistened to them) i thought it was subpar to those.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, the GAR commentaries - those done in retrospect mainly - are the best ones, especially when it's an excuse to get him and some of his gang back together again, because you get that great 'old friends back together again' vibe watching a movie they haven't looked at in quite a while usually.

The Dawn commentaries are awesome (well, not the Rubenstein one, it's all business and very dry and slow going). You can usually bet on a GAR commentary being a good one, mind you, Bruiser's was a bit iffy - especially the audio mix which was horrible as I found the commentary to be so quiet and the actual audio to have not been toned down at all, so both streams were fighting with each other.

The Land commentary was better, but not his best. Indeed though, the likes of Dawn and Day have excellent commentaries, I also remember the one for Knightriders being rather groovy too.

Creepshow (R2) also gets good treatment, as does Night.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    i've watched this a couple of more times and despite its problems, i still like it. it isn't a movie that makes me want to flip for a peanut but i don't think it is horrible (or even bad). certainly not george's best (not even close) but certainly not the worst movie he's ever done.
    Thank god someone else feels the same way I do. With all the dislike that seems to have come with the DVD release I was starting to think I was the only one who even remotely liked it (flaws & all). Seemed like when the early reviews were coming in from those who had seen it in the theater they were mostly positive & now that the DVD is out it's mostly negative. Weird.

Super Moderator

UK
    Haters usually shout the loudest, well in some cases anyway.

I mean how dare anybody come to a George Romero fan website and like the guy's movies, you know?

I'm with Scip, it's not his best movie, but it's not his worst either. It is flawed, but it also has a lot of good parts - which are in the majority I think - so ultimately I'm in favour of the flick.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Thank god someone else feels the same way I do. With all the dislike that seems to have come with the DVD release I was starting to think I was the only one who even remotely liked it (flaws & all). Seemed like when the early reviews were coming in from those who had seen it in the theater they were mostly positive & now that the DVD is out it's mostly negative. Weird.
    I don't hate Diary (really) I just think it has to many things through out that make me wonder what GAR was thinking. As to why so many people are now bashing it. Simple, it didn't show at many theaters. Most people will see it on DVD. I'm glad I bought it even though it didn't like it over all. There is some cool stuff in it. I hope Diary 2 goes back to a good old GAR shooting it movie rather than the POV.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    I don't hate Diary (really) I just think it has to many things through out that make me wonder what GAR was thinking. As to why so many people are now bashing it. Simple, it didn't show at many theaters. Most people will see it on DVD. I'm glad I bought it even though it didn't like it over all. There is some cool stuff in it. I hope Diary 2 goes back to a good old GAR shooting it movie rather than the POV.
    One of the things this thread got me to thinking about was this:

If, say, Night or Dawn came out TODAY,more or less as is, I wounder if we would feel the same way about them as we do now, or be less forgiving of the flaws, as some have been with Diary? I personally feel like they're great films period, but I wonder how much of that view is colored by nostalgia? I'm starting to second guess myself. Not good...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    One of the things this thread got me to thinking about was this:

If, say, Night or Dawn came out TODAY,more or less as is, I wounder if we would feel the same way about them as we do now, or be less forgiving of the flaws, as some have been with Diary? I personally feel like they're great films period, but I wonder how much of that view is colored by nostalgia? I'm starting to second guess myself. Not good...
    Nah, cause it was still new, fresh, and original then.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Haters usually shout the loudest, well in some cases anyway.

I mean how dare anybody come to a George Romero fan website and like the guy's movies, you know?
    Last edited by clanglee; 06-Jun-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Tibet
    Finally got around to watching it. I liked it. Like some, there were things I didn't like or didn't really agree with, but overall I don't feel like I wasted 1 1/2 hours of my life.

Of course, I haven't watched all of the movies 602 times and don't pick up on a lot of the in jokes and references in the movies, so YMMV.

I liked the Amish guy. Liked the pool as well. Would liked to have seen more done with that. I can understand the panic room being a last-ditch decision. Nothing like being stuck.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Staredge View Post

I liked the Amish guy. Liked the pool as well. Would liked to have seen more done with that. I can understand the panic room being a last-ditch decision. Nothing like being stuck.
    I liked the Amish guy for the simple fact that you could tell that was George having some fun.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDilemma View Post
    I liked the Amish guy for the simple fact that you could tell that was George having some fun.
    I liked him too. . . He had the best dialog in the movie!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    He had the best dialog in the movie!!
    Ba Zing

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Despite the zinger, I really liked the Amish guy, that whole segment was awesome I though, just good fun.

United States
    You have to admit it was a pretty good one tho. I did actually like the amish guy as well. . honestly. . .until the end with the whole <spoiler>scycle through the head thing<spoiler>
    Last edited by clanglee; 11-Jun-2008 at 10:16 PM.