Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rank Romero's 4 zombie flicks starting with your favourite, also Soundtrack question.

Christmas Island
    Dawn
    Day
    Night 68
    Night 90
    Land

Super Moderator

United States
    The funny thing about Day is how my appreciation of it has changed so much over the years.

Initially I was put off by the ham-handed, over the top acting (primarily by the military men), and their horribly foolish reaction to the situation they were in, however I realized some time ago that that's what made me sweat out the movie to it's conclusion. It really evokes an emotional reaction out of me when I see those guys saddling up their stupidity and riding it to their doom, and there's this instinctual gut reaction that goes along the line of: "F*ck, and this is what the military and 'best & brightest' minds are doing as the world crumbles around them?!"

Maybe I give Romero too much credit on this one, but I prefer to think of this as a purposeful and very effective way to evoke a reaction out of the audience.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Canada
    1. Dawn of the Dead
    2. Night of the Living Dead
    3. Land of the Dead
    4. Day of the Dead

Not a big fan of Day at all. I think the acting is horrible (Except for the three who survive). Now, I still like it, but in my opinion it's several notches below the other films in every aspect.

I also find it very upsetting that people are ranking the remake of Night of living Dead HIGHER then the original!!!

Personally I have more affection for Dawn but in the big scheme of things Night has had WAY more impact on horror movies, and film in general, then all of the sequels combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    Would the people who rank the original NOTLD on the south side have liked it better if it had originally been in color instead of B&W?
    If someone has that that opinion they are probably the same people who hate those Black Bars "cutting off the picture" on a widescreen DVD!!!

Anyone who doesn't like something because it's OLD or in B&W is a lost cause as far as I'm concerened.
    Last edited by Hawkboy; 12-May-2006 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

United States
    If someone has that that opinion they are probably the same people who hate those Black Bars "cutting off the picture" on a widescreen DVD!!!

Anyone who doesn't like something because it's OLD or in B&W is a lost cause as far as I'm concerened.
    Actually, I was kinda/sorta getting to that when I initially asked the question.

I think that the younger the fan, the more there's a tendency to dig the NOTLD remake...or the desire overall to see the flick in color.

Undisclosed
    1) "Dawn of the Dead" (Argento cut - my apologies to all the purists! )
    2) "Day of the Dead"
    3) "Night of the Living Dead"
    4) "Land of the Dead"

Best soundtrack: "Dawn" (referring to the Goblin score)

Super Moderator

UK
    *gasps*

Johnny Foreigner!!!!

Nah that's cool, for me the definitive Dawn cut is the extended cut, it was the first one I ever saw. I just can't believe Argento cut out the helicopter zombie kill. And did my brain fart, or did he also cut out the sight of Roger rising from his bed as a zombie before being shot?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkboy

I hate people who claim the black bars cut off the picture... uneducated asswipes!

To your second argument, I agree. just because a film is in B&W doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. They won't give it a chance because of some preset notion that they will turn old or something.

It makes you sick doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights
    The funny thing about Day is how my appreciation of it has changed so much over the years.

Initially I was put off by the ham-handed, over the top acting (primarily by the military men), and their horribly foolish reaction to the situation they were in, however I realized some time ago that that's what made me sweat out the movie to it's conclusion. It really evokes an emotional reaction out of me when I see those guys saddling up their stupidity and riding it to their doom, and there's this instinctual gut reaction that goes along the line of: "F*ck, and this is what the military and 'best & brightest' minds are doing as the world crumbles around them?!"

Maybe I give Romero too much credit on this one, but I prefer to think of this as a purposeful and very effective way to evoke a reaction out of the audience.

Thats exatcly why Romero used the theme. Because in the 1980's that is how the military acted and was perceived by the american people. Ever notice something? All of Romero's DEAD films take place while a Republican is in the white house. We always shake our heads in agreement with his vision, so essentially you all agree the republicans are a joke, like he does.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 13-May-2006 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    *gasps*

Johnny Foreigner!!!!

Nah that's cool, for me the definitive Dawn cut is the extended cut, it was the first one I ever saw. I just can't believe Argento cut out the helicopter zombie kill. And did my brain fart, or did he also cut out the sight of Roger rising from his bed as a zombie before being shot?

All a matter of personal preference, of course. I'm fully aware of the fact that most US fans aren't particularly happy with the Argento cut, but you have to understand that that was the version I grew up with, and as such I cherish a lot. As for the Roger scene, I'd have to check, but I also believe that Dario at least shortened it (it still worked for me, though!). The "helicopter zombie" sequence, well, to be honest...I wasn't too impressed with that when I first saw Romero's version!

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh snap, I hate it when people use the "it's old and black & white" 'argument', p*sses me off no end. One of my mates at uni was that way, I remember one day we had a screening of Shaft (the original) and he came along - he thought it was the remake with Sam mutha-f*ckin Jackson, but it wasn't of course. I was surprised he actually stuck around though.

But getting him to watch anything more than 20 years old was a nightmare.

And those prinks who say an actual widescreen movie is showing them less picture should be neutered, it's ass-bunches like them that brought about the rise of *shudder* Pan & Scan. Strange how it took a swing in the average shape of a television to bring about the death of Pan & Scan - and yet people are still idiots, because they don't know how to operate the ratio button.

At uni in our off-campus house we had a widescreen TV and time and again I'd come in and find them watching 4:3 programming on "zoom" or 16:9 settings, I'd have to change if for them and they'd still not see the difference until I pointed out how manked up the image was before I changed it. And these guys were technology savvy ... well...they were supposed to be anyway.

That's what I'm saying yeh, personal preference...although I'm British I personally really dig the extended cut, it really goes into the deep and meaningful of the movie. I believe the Argento cut clocks in at pretty much the same time, perhaps even a minute or two longer, than the GAR theatrical cut - which, if memory serves, was 1 hour 57 minutes, while the Argento cut was about 30 seconds-ish shy of 2 hours.

lol, geek ... I know
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-May-2006 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    black an white rules, i have to amke at least one blacka dn white film..or videogame, which im working on with freinds. .
    and yeah back when i was 12 and actuall wanted episode 1 on VHS ,that old chesnut, i picked up the widescreen and my mom actually slapped my hand so i droped it adn said, "not that one they cut off the picture!".

im off to watch clerks.

Canada
    Oh you guys have no idea how people who hate black and White flicks and people who dislike Widecsreen bug me!

I have a friend who's wife makes him zoom the picture in on their DVD until the black bars are gone. I tried to explain to her how it works but she just looks at me blankly.
    Last edited by Hawkboy; 13-May-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    1. day
    2. dawn
    3. night
    4. land

in all reality i like and watch (at least parts of) them all frequently.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    1-dawn of the dead
    2- night of the living dead
    3- day of the dead
    4- land of the dead

I love all the music for the george romero films but dawn of the dead has my favorite soundtrack.

England
    1. Dawn of the Dead (US theatrical cut)
    2. Night of the Living Dead
    3. Land of the Dead
    4. Day of the Dead
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Just been bitten Guru ofthe Dead's Avatar

United States
    1. Dawn (any version is great)
    2. Night (1968)
    3. Land
    4. Day

I like Land before Day just because GAR was able to use more effects and show more of his vision on the screen. Even though the DVD is better. Day was in hast and the shortage of money really killed the script. Dawn has the best soundtrack. In the US and Dario releases you get to hear more of the Goblins contributions. Cool stuff!!!!