View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • GAR's movies take place in the same universe, and the same timeline

16 43.24%
  • GAR's movies take place in the same universe, but different timelines

16 43.24%
  • GAR's movie take place in the same timeline, but different universes (Is this even possible?)

2 5.41%
  • GAR's movies take place in different universes and different timelines

1 2.70%
  • There is a multi-dimensional thing going on (The Alive Man, vote here!)

2 5.41%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: GAR Dead Films - Universe and Timeline

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Seriously,

The ONLY thing that this poll has proven to date is that at least eight stupid people have voted.

Thus ONLY serving to confuse the already confused ...

When GAR has already stated numerous times that these movies are NOT meant to be "connected" via a direct timeline, why would eight people here insist that they are?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    It happened so, like you're predicting, even if nobody saw it.

The NIGHT movie depicts the timeline before the "change", the very first Retcon Wave.

By the time the THIRD Retcon Wave happened, NIGHT featured cellphones.

Wait a moment, there are many "coloured" DVD releases of NIGHT out of

there... LOL!
    No, because Night, as you can clearly see, doesn't CHANGE!

I'm getting a bit fed up with this Retcon stuff, because you KEEP CONTRADICTING YOURSELF!

If you change a timeline, you ether rewrite it completly or create a new one. As apparent by Night, they didn't rewrite it. They just created a new one.

Your "Retcon" theory doesn't hold any water at all. It can't be done. Impossible, finito, end. It's just a stupid way of patching together the Dead films in one timeline...

ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

Your "Retcon" theory doesn't hold any water at all. It can't be done. Impossible, finito, end. It's just a stupid way of patching together the Dead films in one timeline...

It certainly sounds that way! And ... WTF is a "retcon" anyways? Did he just make that sh1t up or what?

Undisclosed
    EvilNed and Deluxe,

There is no room for anger or lack of respect towards a person (Deluxe ). Cool out, guys.

"RETCON" is a very very popular term used in COMICS. I usually make up my sh*t in the bathroom as every civilized people out of there.

NIGHT doesn't change AT FIRST (when you watch the movie), but by the time DAWN happens, NIGHT has already "adapted" to the late '70ies timeframe in order to preceed DAWN. You're not paying enough attention, man.
    So I don't contradict myself at all.
    It's just my second theory, the first one being THE STRETCH.
    I'm free to make whatever I want in this board - and to pull off hundreds of theories - as far as nobody is offended.

QUIET!
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 30-Nov-2006 at 12:14 AM.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

ViP

England
    Hey,

You are free to believe whatever you choose to believe in, but please ... your "tinpot" theorys will only serve to further confuse people. As most of us are aware, you are just clutching at straws, but to make things worse ... you are also making such a simple issue so overly-complicated ... that it is no longer funny.

NIGHT doesn't change AT FIRST (when you watch the movie), but by the time DAWN happens, NIGHT has already "adapted" to the late '70ies timeframe in order to preceed DAWN. You're not paying enough attention, man.
    It's just my second theory, the first one being THE STRETCH.

YET MORE ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

So let me get this right. Night of the Living Dead (a celluloid movie) actually changes itself about ten years after it was made? And it does this so that it can "adapt" itself to a fictitious 1975?

Not only that, but Night of the Living Dead changed itself specifically "in order to preceed DAWN" ... regardless of the fact that it would ALWAYS preceed DAWN anyways, seeing as how it was the first part of an intended trilogy, DAWN being the sequel, or second part, and was filmed many years previous to the sequel?

That's not a theory ... it's just a bunch of words in the wrong order!
    Last edited by Deadman_Deluxe; 30-Nov-2006 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    [SIZE="4"]
    Actually, I think you're the one not paying attention. First off, this is a theory that's completly untested and there's absolutly no "evidence" to support it in form of interviews or statements or whatever. You just "made it up" and applied it to the Dead universe. But in a pretty sloppy way.

Yes, you are. Because you're not making any sense. You claim that a timeline cannot be split. Just overwritten. Yet I can prove that Night 68 was never overwritten (because it's obviously not taking place in the 00's). You claim Night 68 was overwritten and moved to the 70's... Then the 80's...

If Dawn takes place in the 70's as you say, but is 3 weeks after the outbreak and at the same time Night is updated to the 70's.

And Day takes place in the 80's and is 3 months after the outbreak. Night and Dawn are updated to the 80's.

How does that NOT put them in different timelines? You can retcon all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that Dawn takes place in the 70's and Day in the 80's.

I'm sorry, but if you're not contradicting yourself, then you're making even less sense. In either case you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Also, making your text larger doesn't really enhance your point. Please stop (no arrogance intended).

I understand that these are only theories, and just films. But heck, it's what we are here to discus.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 30-Nov-2006 at 12:37 AM.

capncnut
    I'm free to make whatever I want in this board - and to pull off hundreds of theories - as far as nobody is offended.

QUIET!
    Something tells me we 'aint heard the last of this.

ViP

England
    hAHAHA Bring it on!!!

New "theorys" are always great, but please be aware that if they are rubbish we will say so, if they are good, then likewise ... we will say so

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman_Deluxe View Post
    hAHAHA Bring it on!!!

New "theorys" are always great, but please be aware that if they are rubbish we will say so, if they are good, then likewise ... we will say so
    Deluxe,

I think you are all overacting. Mine was just a comic-book inspired theory, and just a theory. I never pretended it to be "the" truth. WTF? It was just a theory valid like another one.
    I firmly believe in THE STRETCH anyway, the second one was just a toy, so to speak.

Surely, I didn't expect such negative reactions so vocal and cruel.

Gravely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

You claim that a timeline cannot be split. Just overwritten. Yet I can prove that Night 68 was never overwritten (because it's obviously not taking place in the 00's). You claim Night 68 was overwritten and moved to the 70's... Then the 80's...

If Dawn takes place in the 70's as you say, but is 3 weeks after the outbreak and at the same time Night is updated to the 70's.

And Day takes place in the 80's and is 3 months after the outbreak. Night and Dawn are updated to the 80's.

Nice summary, you got it.

NIGHT overwrites itself just some time before DAWN, anyway, not at the same time.

You got it man.

hAHAHA Bring it on!!!

Scrap the Retcon crap if you want, THE STRETCH is my main theory, and the one I firmly believe to be the truest to Romero's "not-direct timeline but almost".
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 30-Nov-2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Nice summary, you got it.

NIGHT overwrites itself just some time before DAWN, anyway, not at the same time.

You got it man.
    Yes. Both me and Deadman_Deluxe understand the theory. We're just saying it doesn't make any sense. And it still doesn't. The theory places Night and Dawn into different timelines, I don't get why you won't accept it. :/

United States
    I posted a question for you over a day ago The Alive Man, but you have not responded to it. It may be because this thread is so big now, and you didnt see it (another example of why I liked the display aspects of the old board better.) But you keep replying in this part of the thread, so I will post it again, and hopefully you will see it and respond.

The Alive Man,

Seeing as you are so fond of "scientific sounding terms" to define the topic at hand, how about using "Occam's razor". To quote from your favorite source, wiki:

Occam's razor states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating, or "shaving off," those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. In short, when given two equally valid explanations for a phenomenon, one should embrace the less complicated formulation.
    So given this widely accepted scientific principle, what seems more logical to you, that GAR, as a local filmmaker using limited budgets, limited means, and making a series of movies that are made as many as 20 years apart, that he intend simply for the movies to be set in "the now" ignoring the near-impossible task (and totally unnecesary task) of trying to try them all together using continuity throughout (i.e. no use of cell phones in Land seeing as they didnt exist in Night, etc.) or that a man who was in love with making movies, watching horror movies, and reading horror comics as a kid with no scientific training, chose to use RETCON and multi-convergence theories to weave his stories together?

Which is the "less complicated formulation" in your mind?

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Okie dokie...this proving/disproving theories stuff is getting out of hand. There is nothing to prove or disprove. They are three movies about the living dead. If Romero wanted them to be tied together, he would have made it obvious. However, we, as fans, elect which way we view these films for the purpose of entertainment and nostalgia.

edit: oops, four movies!
    Last edited by radiokill; 30-Nov-2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: oops
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

ViP

England
    Deluxe,

Surely, I didn't expect such negative reactions so vocal and cruel.

Gravely disappointed.
    Well if you are going to take what i say about your retcon theory to heart, on a personal level, of course you will be disappointed. Don't take it so personal ok?

What i am saying is that the retcon theory just does not work, but at the same time, we look forward to hearing about all your other theorys.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Well if you are going to take what i say about your retcon theory to heart, on a personal level, of course you will be disappointed. Don't take it so personal ok?

What i am saying is that the retcon theory just does not work, but at the same time, we look forward to hearing about all your other theorys.
    awwww, how sweet!
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Undisclosed
    Philly,

Thanks to have pointed out such Occam's razor concept. Never heard about it before. I agree with you, by the way.

The more simplicistic one? The STRETCH.
    The Retcon stuff is too much complicated to be fully grasped in the eye of the average viewer. That's damn true!

Deluxe,

You fill my heart with love and devotion