Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead: Episode 2: "Guts" (SPOILERS!)

Administrator

England
    I enjoyed the episode, but the idea of them covering themselves in the gutts just felt wrong to me. I also didn't for one second believe the rain would wash that 'stink' off!

Good episode though. Still hoping for the bar to be raised up a bit though.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I also didn't for one second believe the rain would wash that 'stink' off!
    Especially when you consider that they had feet and hands tied around their necks by intestines. The rain wasn't going to wash THOSE off...
    I dunno. The zombies seemed like they knew something was up, anyway. Maybe the rain washed off just enough for that one to fully realize it was a trick.

And how did you already see it, Neil?
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Nov-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: .

United States
    yea what TWD needs is a good old zombie pie fight..that would be sooo much more fathonable than the stank being washed away
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What does the pie fight have to do with anything?
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Nov-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    yea what TWD needs is a good old zombie pie fight..that would be sooo much more fathonable than the stank being washed away
    Reusing an awful moment from the past? That's just being silly. Now, a cake fight, on the other hand...

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Not sure if it is mentioned but OK, how come they can't climb ladders, but can climb fences like they was running from the po-po?
    Not a big deal, I let it go like them disguised as zombies.

It was funny when the redneck was holding an "election" after the smackdown and he was the only one that wasn't a minority. Cliched, indeed.
    Did you see the woman giving him the finger? LoL that was funny.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    What does the pie fight have to do with anything?
    I believe it was an attempt to show that GAr has done even sillier, unfathomable things.

Now, while the piefight was obviously toungue in cheek, the "guts" were not.

That implies that the zombies senses are still functioning.

It seemed to me that they were a little too "alive".

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If I had to pick one as being mroe silly than the other....it's the zombies having a sense of smell. That's more outlandish than the bikers being overly confident...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If I had to pick one as being mroe silly than the other....it's the zombies having a sense of smell. That's more outlandish than the bikers being overly confident...
    Exactly.

If they have a sense of smell then why not sense of touch? That would imply the feel things and by the way they can take punishment that doesn't seem likely.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    If they have a sense of smell then why not sense of touch? That would imply the feel things and by the way they can take punishment that doesn't seem likely.
    Devil's Advocate here.

Why Not?

Kirkman hasn't gone very deep into zombie physiology in the Graphic Novels & it's only a couple eps in the series.

In most films, Zombies operate "like us, only less efficiently". I've never seen that really elaborated on. I suppose that if you get into scientific detail about How Zombies Work you'll hit the brick wall of "Zombies don't actually exist".

But it seems if the Living Dead are ambulatory, and have other residual sensory input (sight, smell, hearing) that the sense of touch (and poss. taste - yech) is also probable. Makes sense - if they couldn't "feel" anyhing they would stumble over more things, walk into walls and keep shuffling in place, etc.

I'm not saying they feel Pain, per se, although it would be an interesting development...

(Kind of why Return of the Living Dead bugs me the way it does. The only promise of Life After Death is feeling yourself slowly rot; the pain of which is only aleviated by eating the brains of the living. Theologically, it's the most horrifying idea to come out of any Zombie film I've ever seen. Kinda kills the comedy aspect for me.)
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I get the devil's advocate angle but after pumping an enire clip of M-16 ammo into one of them and it having no effect I'd say they don't feel anything.

Pick any movie you wish and watch one of them taking handgun slugs to the body. The only observable effect is the bullet pressure driving them back.

Nothing that remotely looks painfull or causing them discomfort.

United States
    Well, unlike the movies, a gunshot is generally not going to knock you off your feet. So I'm not seeing the problem.

Now I'm not arguing that these Zeds have a particularly good sense of touch, just enough (however "numb") to register the world around them. Being shot would probably not ellicit much reaction.

Not even an "Owwww...heeeeyyyyy...."
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Well, my turn to be Devil's Advocate... how else is a dead thing, which virtually no powers of cognitive thought, to tell 'food' from 'that other dead bloke walking next to me'? Smell seems to be the only logical way of doing that. Instinct and all. Though I will admit the one dead girl that heard them talking, and was put off by Glen's grunts was a bit more cognitive reaction than I would have expected. Sight and hearing require more thought to interpret than smell does. Smell is one of, if not THE, most basic and instinctual of senses.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 10-Nov-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Added more :P

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Rick isn't a minority either.
    He was off to the side waiting to smash him down, I meant the ones he was yelling at. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    The same goes for Andrea.
    She is a woman. I meant it that way. Sorry.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Smell is one of, if not THE, most basic and instinctual of senses.
    Wait a minute... I just farted....Yep you're right.