Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avengers (film)

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YES. you have no idea how correct that statement is. already online this is the new avatar, people saying its meh are being flamed like mad by people yet to see it saying its 'the blockbuster that changes everything forever'.
    I mentioned in another thread how marketing firms influence public opinion through use of the Asch Paradigm. It is well known that there are companies and governments hire public relations, marketing firms, and even college students to flood discussion forums and other social media sites to create an artficial majority to favorably promote (i.e. propagandize) a product or political position and demean those with an opposing opinion.

Here is a short video explaining how easily the Asch Paradigm works:

Remember this when something gets hyped to the stratosphere.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    So, this is just another Avatar?
    I don't see any correlation between the two aside from them both being large films.

Not surprised to see Danny slamming it though, he's back to his old self.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Not surprised to see Danny slamming it though, he's back to his old self.
    What, is he making ageist remarks again? Tsk, tsk.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    What, is he making ageist remarks again? Tsk, tsk.
    didn't you know dude, we aren't allowed to have standards or dislike media hyped blockbusters anymore. its simply gauche

Super Moderator

United States
    didn't you know dude, we aren't allowed to have standards or dislike media hyped blockbusters anymore. its simply gauche
    Oh, dude, I haven't read most of this thread (avoiding spoilers), so no worries there. I was just taking a best guess based on previous behavior

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    really, really dull. generic, unoriginal waste of an opportunity
    So, this is just another Avatar?
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't see any correlation between the two aside from them both being large films.
    I do. Just read Danny's description, it describes Avatar perfectly. I haven't seen the Avengers yet (not even sure I will, I'm not that much of a comic-book-to-live-action-movie-fan), but if it's like what Danny described, I see them as two peas in a pod.

Sammich - good call on the Asch Paradigm. I've seen this at work many times before.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 04-May-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Or maybe you have a reputation for not liking most things that the masses are into, and a propensity to roll out a rebuttal akin to the above whenever someone suggests the former.

To each their own, but I'm not surprised you gave it a fetid review.

United States
    OMG, heaven forbid someone disagrees with the masses.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 04-May-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    the thing that i found telling was all my mates said "its good" if they liked it, but that was always followed by "for what it is" or "if you can switch your brain off for about 3 hours" or "compared to spiderman 3"...
    How anyone can go see a movie about costumed superheroes and NOT expect to turn their brains off should have their brains checked. Seriously, what were they expecting?
    It is what it is; a guy dressed in the american flag, a billionaire in an iron suit, a green version of mr. Hyde, a norse god, a hot chick and that guy with the bow fighting and tearing up New York.
    It was fun though. But a great 'film'? Hell no.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    How anyone can go see a movie about costumed superheroes and NOT expect to turn their brains off should have their brains checked. Seriously, what were they expecting?
    It is what it is; a guy dressed in the american flag, a billionaire in an iron suit, a green version of mr. Hyde, a norse god, a hot chick and that guy with the bow fighting and tearing up New York.
    It was fun though. But a great 'film'? Hell no.
    The Dark Knight proved you can have a competent film from a comic franchise. It raised the bar, clearly too high for this to reach.

United States
    Seeing this in a little over an hour. My kid saw the midnight showing last night and loved it.
    I don't expect it to be anything to make me get all thinky and such, but it looks like it'll be a superfun ride.
    Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than TDK. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I'll let ye all know.

United States
    The Dark Knight proved you can have a competent film from a comic franchise. It raised the bar, clearly too high for this to reach.
    Here's the thing though: even the Dark Knight was great & all, I really don't WANT more superhero flicks to follow in its wake per se. Last thing I wanna see is friggin' Shakespeare in spandex all the time.

TBH, I thought the first Spider-Man & Iron Man hit just about the right level between story, action, pathos, & acting.

[/insert snarky comment about not liking things here]
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 04-May-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: snark, snark

Super Moderator

UK
    OMG, heaven forbid someone disagrees with the masses.
    Again, misinterpreting what I'm saying ... what is it with you people?

*dissolves into the shadows*

United States
    It was ok. It did its part, as far as blockbusters go. I wanted more Captain, and they made him seem pretty useless at times. I will say Ruffalo did a good job, better than Edward Norton. It was enjoyable to watch in a crowded theater, but I really didn't jizz all over it like I'd thought I would.
    I also do like Loki. That guy is way cool and creepy.
    So I guess I recommend it, but more so on a big screen. They had the volume cranked where I was at.
    Do I think it could've been done better?
    Sure, but we had a good time.