Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The anticipation of STALKER...

Super Moderator

UK
    Not sure about multiplayer ... maybe. They did take some things out to get the game finished, but if it isn't in there they'll probably put it back in with an update/patch.

An interesting thing in one of those videos was the AI being compared to "like playing online" as the NPCs "act on their own" ... we'll see how that comes out in the final game.

But back to those videos, there was one in there that's about 4 or 5 minutes and the game just looks fantastic in there, particularly the lighting effects and textures. I can't wait to hop in a vehicle and go yomping around "the zone".

Also, apparently there are about 120 human NPCs (STALKERS, mercenaries, clans and loners) ... so if the theory is right, you could conceivably kill everybody within the zone ... unless more come in, in a 'natural' way - more stalkers coming in to find artefacts, or the military increasing their presence as you've been taking them out.

Another thing, in one of those videos it does indeed say the cars are supposed to eventually run out of fuel as well as possibly break down - so they need maintenance ... now, I'm not sure how much of that remains (as they had to reduce several things and simplify others as it was too much, too soon and in one go - perhaps it'll be back in an update when they have time to just work on individual aspects).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Another thing, in one of those videos it does indeed say the cars are supposed to eventually run out of fuel as well as possibly break down - so they need maintenance ... now, I'm not sure how much of that remains (as they had to reduce several things and simplify others as it was too much, too soon and in one go - perhaps it'll be back in an update when they have time to just work on individual aspects).
    I thought vehicles had been removed?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Eh?! They couldn't have possibly done that ... it's 30 sq kilometers in size! You can't walk/run around all that sh*t without having some kind of transport! From the videos the vehicles seemed to be working just fine, perhaps they reduced the amount of vehicles or something ... know of a place online that details the changes made when whoever that chap was that came on board to kick GSC's ass to get the thing going?

Found the article I remember reading way back...

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article....CIID=37941&p=1

The vehicles issue was a "may or may not" situation, and like the article said, it would pose a whole bunch of problems - so here's hoping that the vehicles are still there.

Something that did concern me however, was reading on the THQ page a report from last year about the game being "optimised" for 64-bit/k (which one is it) processers ... is the game gonna run properly on a normal processer system? If the game is HL2 level graphics, why do they need the 64k thing?

If I end up not being able to play this game, after waiting this f*cking long and have it on pre-order since late 2004, I'm gonna be PISSED.

Surely it must work nice 'n' smooth (a la HL2) on normal systems ... otherwise they're just restricting people, not everyone can afford to (or even can) upgrade their rigs for a new processor. Hopefully it's just a case of the 64 thing just giving you slightly fancier and more complex lighting, but the normal 32 processors (or at least normal for me!) giving you a lush looking game, just not quite as flashy-lighted as the 64 version ... hmmm.

Murphy can't f*ck me over now, not after this long a wait!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Jan-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Administrator

England
    Eh?! They couldn't have possibly done that ... it's 30 sq kilometers in size! You can't walk/run around all that sh*t without having some kind of transport! From the videos the vehicles seemed to be working just fine, perhaps they reduced the amount of vehicles or something ... know of a place online that details the changes made when whoever that chap was that came on board to kick GSC's ass to get the thing going?

Found the article I remember reading way back...

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article....CIID=37941&p=1

The vehicles issue was a "may or may not" situation, and like the article said, it would pose a whole bunch of problems - so here's hoping that the vehicles are still there.

Something that did concern me however, was reading on the THQ page a report from last year about the game being "optimised" for 64-bit/k (which one is it) processers ... is the game gonna run properly on a normal processer system? If the game is HL2 level graphics, why do they need the 64k thing?

If I end up not being able to play this game, after waiting this f*cking long and have it on pre-order since late 2004, I'm gonna be PISSED.

Surely it must work nice 'n' smooth (a la HL2) on normal systems ... otherwise they're just restricting people, not everyone can afford to (or even can) upgrade their rigs for a new processor. Hopefully it's just a case of the 64 thing just giving you slightly fancier and more complex lighting, but the normal 32 processors (or at least normal for me!) giving you a lush looking game, just not quite as flashy-lighted as the 64 version ... hmmm.

Murphy can't f*ck me over now, not after this long a wait!
    They always bragged in the earlier days how their engine ran well on low spec'd machines... Here's still hoping!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Judging by the pretty graphics and sharp edges, I somewhat doubt a low end pc will play this game smoothly. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been in production since 2004, that's almost 3 years! I can only imagine that the lengthy production time has been spent tweaking it up big styley for high end pc's. If a games developer really wants to blow people away with a title then they're gonna be squeezing every last drop of power to make a more impressive game. I'm guessing the developers want a smash hit on their hands (obviously) and unless it really 'blows away' graphically then it I'm afraid it aint got a chance. Trust me on this, playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on a modest rig will be like controlling a geriatric wading through treacle.
    Last edited by capncnut; 23-Jan-2007 at 05:52 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Don't say that!

And the game was announced in 2001 and has been in development since 2001, it was originally made on DirectX 8 for cryin' out loud, they moved up to DX9, and that's where they're staying.

Hopefully the game will be played on a wide range of rigs, I can handle Doom 3, Quake 4 and Half-Life 2 just fine, HL2 in particular handles sweet-ass, and at 1280x1024 resolution too!

So hopefully STALKER will be a case of a variety of options and levels of graphical jizziness so that the game can be played on a range of systems. It'd be pointless to try and be the bad boy of graphics, too late for that - if the game came out in 2004 when it was supposed to then it would have been right in there with HL2 and the "omfgz!!!" that resulted, but now at best they can just tweak and make it look extra pretty on higher end rigs.

Murphy can't be that evil and f*ck me over after this long wait, it just ain't possible!

WIDE COMPATIBILITY DAMN YOUZE!!!

*been searching around for more info*

I dug out an interview regarding the game from mid-August 2006, saying that:

To play the game the way it was intended to be played, you'll need 2 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. GeForce 6800 is also recommended.
    So that looks promising, I doubt they would have changed the requirements that much from there, and that seems in line with the HL2 range of settings (STALKER appears to be in the HL2 range after all) ... so hopefully it will have the wide range of compatibility (this seems to be something they have talked about from way back - specifically identifying DirectX 8 as their low end level...*crosses fingers ... doesn't bother crossing dicks*...so bring on a wide range of compatibility.

Now I don't know my nVidia cards, where abouts is an ATI Radeon 9600 in comparison to the GeForce 6800 quoted in the interview?

Is my interest in STALKER obsessive and pedantic? ... erm ... yes.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Jan-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Yet more sh*t to jibber jabber about...

Super Moderator

UK
    yet more...

Now is it just me, or is this the dodgiest review you've ever laid eyes on?

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/games/stalker.html

The simple fact that the images aren't from the game, merely photos from the real world with the gun/hand taken from an actual screenshot and pasted over the top - now that's dodgy.

Also, the system requirements they state seem rather strange and a bit too advanced for the game itself, as I've read elsewhere (in proper previews) that it does look dated - also read somewhere today that vehicles are removed, but I've only seen that written in one preview type thing.

Didn't bother reading the whole of that dodgy arse "digit-life" 'review', it looks rather funky and just doesn't read right ... HL2 was gorgeous looking, yet this review sh*ts on it and considers STALKER to be absolute photo-realism - but if they'd actually play it (or even just watch a video online) I'm sure they'd find it isn't absolute photo-realism - hence why again, those pictures provided in the review are completely bogus.

... looked at it closer and it's from April 1st 2006 ... cheeky bastards.

... look who got tricked!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Jan-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Administrator

England
    MZ - Do I get the impression you're rather excited about this game
    -Carl Sagan

England

can you imagine if you had to physically change a head gasket or brake pads in the game?ultra realism and a pain in the arse!having to recruit other players "ere mate,just hold this & pass me that alan key"

seriously though it does look like a game il be checking out!

Super Moderator

UK
    Tricky - lol @ Cockney Chernobyl Cars "R" Us stylee goings-on ...

I'd read somewhere that vehicles had been taken out ... WHY?! They expect us to walk the entire 30 sq kilometers?! Although I've only read that on one website, and it didn't look like it had come down from the top ... so I still don't know. I just wish THQ would just flat out say what they took out in full (they've said most of what they took out, but for "does it have cars or not?!" enthusiasts like me ... we need to know sh*t!)

But the idea of fuelling an in-game car seems really cool, in what other game is fuel a factor? - perzactly.

Neil - ya damn straight, I've got the STALKER fever, baby...seriously, I can't stop looking at screenshots and videos, I'm constantly swinging by the THQ STALKER website for any new news ... damnit March can't come soon enough. ... *ponders* ... I'm a STALKER stalker!!!

I've been trying to find the official system requirements, but there's so many conflicting reports out there and more often than not you get a completely different impression from what is said in the preview/interview and what is suggested about the requirements specifically - but again, no firm details being given out ... which is kinda stupid as the game is coming out in a matter of weeks.

Damn, the more I read about the game, the more I simply must have it - you bleed in the game, and your blood leaves a trail until you bandage yourself up - so you can track wounded soldiers (and they can track you). You can drink vodka to cure mild radiation poisoning (a true Russian belief made "in game fact" here), and apparently you can drink too much and your aim is affected - you can actually get drunk in the friggin' game it would appear! You can also apparently hide the bodies of men you've killed so their partners/team-mates won't know they're dead and just assume they've gone for a piss.

Also - if you kill a bunch of merceneries in one particular region, mercs from other areas will spread into that area to attempt to hold the position - how cool as it? Apparently the AI truly is something great in this game, so I look forward to it with a raging tent!

Finally - the game seems like it could be utterly terrifying to play, the apocalyptic setting and feeling, the accurate reconstruction of Chernobyl and Pripyat ... damn, I don't think I'll be running around at night much, I'll be holding up in a solid structure with some hired guns methinks.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Jan-2007 at 06:02 PM.

England
    I love it when a game grabs you like that,gazing in awe at the screenshots & reading every snippet of info twice over!im a bit like that with armed assault at the moment as well
    I wants it i do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA20LdsaU2g

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh hell yeah, it's great isn't it? I was the same with San Andreas, man I was going nuts for that game before it finally came out (and waiting extra months for the PC release was just torture ... well, media torture ) ... I was also the same way with Hitman: Blood Money, damn the excitement I had for that game - and it so paid off. I played it through three times in a row (which I'd never done with a game before - usually it's once through and then a break for a few weeks/months before another run through).

Now it's STALKER ... and Alan Wake ... and Dead Rising had my interest back when it was coming, mind you, my excitement about the slim chance I might make some cash this year to put aside for a 360 is a whole other ball park...

Ah crap, and then Duke Nukem Forever is supposed to be coming out this year too ... I wonder if that'll run on my rig ... hopefully it will, as it too has been hanging around for years and years (as a result I went on a major Google Image traul looking for Duke, ha!).

England
    yeah i just know my rig cant handle any of these new games,it runs medieval 2 on medium settings,but anything else released in the last 2 months just makes it crumble,and now is a REALLY bad time to upgrade because directX 10 is just around the corner and all graphics cards previous to that are now obsolete good thing im starting a new job soon with better pay!

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn straight, this is the reason I wanna 360, so I don't have to worry about upgrading and system specs everytime a ball achingly beautiful game comes along, which is a real problem as I am a self-confessed FPS nutter - the genre which is consistently (along with 3rd Person Shooters like Max Payne) the absolute pinnacle of graphical genius. *sigh*

If only I had the luck virus from Red Dwarf ... I could just buy a roll of scratch cards and win a life's savings and be done with it and just roll around spending money on lavishly over the top gaming rigs.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan