27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Escape from New York

24 88.89%
  • Escape from L.A.

3 11.11%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Escape from NY vs. Escape from LA

United States
    I used to think Carprnter did the Thing too. They all fit together so well.

Snake is the Badasses badass.
    But I liked him (Kurt Russel) when I was little in all those Disney Live action movies like Flubber etc.

I think I am also going to watch EFNY again. Even the deleted scenes are great. It is def in my top ten favorite movies
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm gonna start watching EFLA tonight ... but it won't live up to NY, it didn't before ... but it's better than nothing, any Snake Plissken (original only of course) is awesome.

Kurt Russell is the f*ckin' man.

United States
    Escape From L.A. was testament to JC's spiral into lameness.

Australia
    For THE THING, I believe Carpenter gave Morricone a musical sample of the feel he was after. Later Morricone presented Carpenter with a selection of musical cues and Carpenter went with the one that represented his the most, probably why that score as a very J.C. feel...
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

capncnut
    "Dum-dum, dum-dum..."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't think EFNY or EFLA are masterpieces, but they are both great films as far as I'm concerned. But then again, it WAS a while ago since I saw EFLA. But I remember it as a really fun and cool ride.

EFNY probably looks the best though. And it's interesting how "different" NY and LA feel in the films. NY feels more like a ghost town with very few people living there, and they're mostly crazy. LA feels like a warzone.

capncnut
    Bruce Campbell was great in LA.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Bruce Campbell was great in LA.
    Damn straight, I watched EFLA t'other day and his scene was a highlight - shame it was rather short though.

"My God, they're real!"

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    "My God, they're real!"
    Lollywol.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Watched Escape from LA again yesterday for the first time in like 10 years. Here's my thoughts:

1. It's not as dark as the first film. It's also much more fast-paced. The first film was rather slow at times.

2. Rather than focusing on the "good gang" possé, the film focuses on the bad guy which I think gives the film more character. The Duke was barely ever in the first film, which I didn't really like. Therefore, Cuervo Jones gets my vote for "Best Baddie".

3. The CGI wasn't as bad as I had imagined it! Sure, by todays standards it sucked. But I remembered it being MUCH worse! Hah!

4. Somewhat cooler description of the future. I mean, NY isn't really the future. Our society today is more advanced than NY. I doubt the same will happen with LA. But then again, NY was never supposed to be that advanced. Just dark.

5. It's so stupid sometimes. Like when Snake and the others go handgliding, they glide down over a crowd of 500 thugs with machine guns and start wreaking havoc. They'd get shot in an instant! Stuff like that was abundant. It was a bit to "Hollywood" stupidness for my taste. EFNY had very limited amount of that (A revolver that holds 20 rounds, for one).

I still don't know which to vote for. EFNY is a slower, darker and more realisitc adventure. EFLA has more action, a better badguy and shows you more of the city.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Watched Escape from LA again yesterday for the first time in like 10 years. Here's my thoughts:

1. It's not as dark as the first film. It's also much more fast-paced. The first film was rather slow at times.

2. Rather than focusing on the "good gang" possé, the film focuses on the bad guy which I think gives the film more character. The Duke was barely ever in the first film, which I didn't really like. Therefore, Cuervo Jones gets my vote for "Best Baddie".

3. The CGI wasn't as bad as I had imagined it! Sure, by todays standards it sucked. But I remembered it being MUCH worse! Hah!

4. Somewhat cooler description of the future. I mean, NY isn't really the future. Our society today is more advanced than NY. I doubt the same will happen with LA. But then again, NY was never supposed to be that advanced. Just dark.

5. It's so stupid sometimes. Like when Snake and the others go handgliding, they glide down over a crowd of 500 thugs with machine guns and start wreaking havoc. They'd get shot in an instant! Stuff like that was abundant. It was a bit to "Hollywood" stupidness for my taste. EFNY had very limited amount of that (A revolver that holds 20 rounds, for one).

I still don't know which to vote for. EFNY is a slower, darker and more realisitc adventure. EFLA has more action, a better badguy and shows you more of the city.
    Here's my coupel pennies
    1. Dark and creepy is better for atmosphere. Im not gonna say I hated LA, but it had zero feel. I consider the pace measured, not slow. It was suspensful and scary. LA was neither. I hate the MTV pace. I wish some movies now would slow down

2. Not showing the duke made it more powerful when you did see him. Cuervo Jones was a cartoon but the duke acted like a Warlord/Real Gangster. Also has ther ever, EVER been a mexican named Jones? Carpenter uses that last name waaay too much. There are not that many people named jones that I meet.

3. I think the CGI sucked by any standard. It was plain tacky and took you out of the moment. when I first saw LA ,I said out loud about that wave thing "God, that sucks!". It isnt as bad now but still really crappy.

4. When EFNY came out it was a reasonable dystopian perdiction of the future. beilieve me, if you lived in NYC in the 80s it was extremely reasonable, which I mentioned earlier. Being Pickly over technology is just that. It's a common thing, but its something I just dont notice. And of course there is no tech in NYC prison, Its supposed to be reduced to a middle ages esque existence.

5. LA ahs a lot of stupid and inprobable stuff. The hang glider bit was too Ed Wood. I dont generally like camp and LA was campy out the wazoo.
    The whole walled off LA is improbable. LA is spread out and HUGE. I metioned this in an earlier post, but you can walk the entire perimenter of Manhattan in a day. LA. No way. You can drive from one end of NY to the other in a couple hours. LA goes on and on and on

Summary
    I perfer realism and atmosphere. Cuervo Jones was suckoriffic. If EFNY was never made and only LA I would probably have had no interest in LA at all, because it has carry over affection for that world and Snake. Not for the film itself.
    If I think more than once or twice "Man, that is Stooopid" the film goes in the pretty much sucks file

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    IMHO, there shouldn't even be a debate on this subject. Escape From NY is the far superior film, and to be honest we should all forget Escape from LA even exsists.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    IMHO, there shouldn't even be a debate on this subject. Escape From NY is the far superior film, and to be honest we should all forget Escape from LA even exsists.
    To me, it's more of an excuse to blather on about the Greatness of EFNY. Ned is pretty much the only dude who thiks they are equal.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    To me, it's more of an excuse to blather on about the Greatness of EFNY. Ned is pretty much the only dude who thiks they are equal.

EFNY is most definitely the "Escape From" flick ... I'd heard something briefly somewhere about "Escape From Earth", what was that all about?

Anyway, LA wasn't as bad as I remember it being, but it still sucked, it's just a retread of everything from the first film ... but still, the best part was Snake Plissken, he's just a badass everywhere.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I think I said something damn close to that on page one so I totally agree witchu man.