Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New "? of the Dead" Info here..

Super Moderator

United States
    I could care less about the idea of canon anymore, as you can't really depend on it in this 'franchise'.

I'll grade each case of zed animal munching on how well it is presented and how much sense it makes.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I'm heading to Fangoria's convention in Chicago tomorrow. He will be there and maybe offer us more insight.
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

UK
    Okay this turned into a bit of a rant...

I think that the idea of 'canon' is something that mainly exists in the minds of the fans. People tend to come up with their own ideas about 'what happens next' or 'what went before' and become so entrenched in these ideas that when the poor unfortunate filmmaker decides to return to their franchise with another tale that expands the story and ideas in someway, they simply don't stand a chance and the film gets mauled. It seems to me that the fans demand canon but are the first to reject it when they don't like something that is contrary to their own established theories. It's not just with the Dead films – how many Star Wars fans don't count the prequels because Lucas explained what the Force was? And you can bet your life there are dozens of Star Trek fans who've already decided that the new film is complete and utter garbage because it inevitably won't fit in with their own version of events. It's the same with Romero and this alleged horse eating scene, I wonder how many people have already condemned the film and it's canonicity because of it - or come up with yet another theory so that that particular scene somehow doesn't count. Land and Diary come in for a lot of flak, personally I don't think it's because they are bad films, it's because they're not the films 'you' want. Sure he could make formulaic rehashes of his earlier work to please the fans but George is doing the same thing today as he did with Night back in the 60's, he's challenging our established perceptions of what we know and pushing us out of our comfort zones. To me, that's damn good film making.

Now, lets just hope that scene with zombies bouncing down the street on space hoppers chasing luckless survivors makes the final cut of the film...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post

I think that the idea of 'canon' is something that mainly exists in the minds of the fans. People tend to come up with their own ideas about 'what happens next' or 'what went before' and become so entrenched in these ideas that when the poor unfortunate filmmaker decides to return to their franchise with another tale that expands the story and ideas in someway, they simply don't stand a chance and the film gets mauled. It seems to me that the fans demand canon but are the first to reject it when they don't like something that is contrary to their own established theories. It's not just with the Dead films – how many Star Wars fans don't count the prequels because Lucas explained what the Force was? And you can bet your life there are dozens of Star Trek fans who've already decided that the new film is complete and utter garbage because it inevitably won't fit in with their own version of events. It's the same with Romero and this alleged horse eating scene, I wonder how many people have already condemned the film and it's canonicity because of it - or come up with yet another theory so that that particular scene somehow doesn't count. Land and Diary come in for a lot of flak, personally I don't think it's because they are bad films, it's because they're not the films 'you' want. Sure he could make formulaic rehashes of his earlier work to please the fans but George is doing the same thing today as he did with Night back in the 60's, he's challenging our established perceptions of what we know and pushing us out of our comfort zones. To me, that's damn good film making.

Now, lets just hope that scene with zombies bouncing down the street on space hoppers chasing luckless survivors makes the final cut of the film...
    Very good points, but just to elaborate on my own feelings in the matter: the main reason I'm unhappy about the touted "horse eating scene" is that it will stretch my suspension of disbelief when it comes to watching - specifically - Day of the Dead, because the central thread of the plot in that movie depended upon the fact that the scientists were unable to reward the zombies with anything other than human flesh.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    What horse eating scene?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSiN View Post
    What horse eating scene?
    Here you go: http://www.homepageofthedead.com/bap..._setvisit.html

Third paragraph from the bottom.

United States

Who is GAR's new squeeze?

My wife believes that it might be Ara Katz, since we saw her with Romero at the Diary screening here in Los Angeles. It would make some sense since to some degree she is filling the role that Christine would have played during production.

Anyone with info on this?
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    My wife believes that it might be Ara Katz, since we saw her with Romero at the Diary screening here in Los Angeles. It would make some sense since to some degree she is filling the role that Christine would have played during production.

I assume you meant to post this as a new thread? Maybe one of the mods will move it for you.

Edit: She was born in 1979, so it would be a bit creepy if we was swanning around with a girl who was not even born when he made Dawn of the Dead. There's about forty years between them, she's young enough to be his granddaughter!!
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 05-Mar-2009 at 05:53 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    , she's young enough to be his granddaughter!!
    Hell yeah!!! that's the way I'm gonna do it when I am an old man!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Hell yeah!!! that's the way I'm gonna do it when I am an old man!!!
    DUDE, Are you serious !?!

Anything less would be uncivilized.

Anyone that age who says they'd never do that is a liar. The only reason they wouldn't is that they couldn't. Because believe you me if some old shrivled up dude who looks like one of the California raisins could get with that he would.

Nuff Said.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Scotland
    Nope, it's creepy and gross. Fuck that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post

I understand where you're coming from. I'm willing to wait & see what GAR does, & if he does go this route I'll grudgingly accept it, but I won't agree with it & I won't like it. I might like the rest of the movie in spite of that, but I still won't like that particular thing no matter how great the rest of the movie is. It just doesn't jive with what we've been told/shown up 'till now.

I'm all for artistic freedom & the artist following his own muse free of the fans & all that, but when someone lays down the rules for you in a solid & consistent manor & then comes in & does a 180 on you, then yeah, it's a bit irritating. Why not suddenly say the zombies can run? Or fly? Or shoot laser beams outta their eyes?

Your comment about Lucas & the Force is incredibly apt in this case. Here we had this thing that was already well explained (enough) & we had a firm handle on & then he suddenly throws a bogus pseudo-explanation in that doesn't make a lot of sense, seems to invalidate our understanding of what has gone before, & really just seemed to smack of someone trying to demystify the mysterious because he was sick of people trying to turn it into a "real" religion.

To me part of what made the zombies (and the implication behind them) scary was that they were interested in eating US & ONLY us. That hinted of a design. A purpose. If they'll eat anything that moves...eh...kinda cheapens & lessens the effect TBH.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post

I can tell you for an absolute fact that George Romero is not dating Ara Katz. I've seen his "lady friend" and she is MUCH older and her hair is MUCH redder. And Ara is MUCH, MUCH more attractive. No offense George!

Here you go: http://www.homepageofthedead.com/bap..._setvisit.html

Third paragraph from the bottom.
    Hey, thanks for linking my report!
    Last edited by thxleo; 05-Mar-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Hey, thanks for linking my report!
    Oh, that was you!? Great job!!

United States
    Oh, that was you!? Great job!!
    Thank you, sir.