Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The plot of 'Land'..

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    nicely said, agree 100%
    Indeed.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    @Philly - Great post. You did a wonderful job of expressing why banks and money would be easy to get. Easier than looting food and liquor. However, Day is still before Land!!!

@Wyldwraith- Great post as well. You've hit several nails on the head. GAR sacrificing intelligent behavior for the message is especially in line with my thoughts. The mirror reflecting ourselves is an excellent vehicle to describe how a great GAR movie becomes great. I think that observation explains how Dawn became the movie everyone can relate to and Land didn't.

Undisclosed
    Wyldwraith, very well done.

I think having Kaufman, and his council deal with food shortages, limited power supplies, dwindling ammo counts, and a lack of well trained men and women to defend the city would have made a better movie than the old, tired "evil white rich man keeping the poor folks down" message.

If it had been more Jericho with zombies, it would have been a better movie, I think.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Philly, you raised some good points, but I'm convinced Day came long before Land. Money isn't a factor in the Day, because it's utterly useless in their scenario. How valuable would money be to a group of government employees stranded in a bunker where Uncle Sam furnished everything necessary for the mission? The three biggest things the survivors required (food, water, and electricity) had been available long before anyone arrived. They had ammunition, booze, and a stockpile of dead to round up for experiments. Paper money was probably used only in their card games. The brief discussion about not getting paid anymore (where Rhodes goes ape **** for the first time) suggests to me that they haven't been down there very long; they're not far detached from the once-intact military structure. The idea of getting paid every two weeks is still fresh in their minds. I figure the soldiers and scientists were down in the silo for six months at most after the world started going to hell.

Comparing the value of money in Day and Land is worse than comparing apples and oranges. I don't think money is a good tool to use to figure out where the movies take place in the time/space continuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    Wyldwraith, very well done.

I think having Kaufman, and his council deal with food shortages, limited power supplies, dwindling ammo counts, and a lack of well trained men and women to defend the city would have made a better movie than the old, tired "evil white rich man keeping the poor folks down" message.

If it had been more Jericho with zombies, it would have been a better movie, I think.

Yes, it would have made a much more interesting movie. Many people are tired of being beat over the head with the idea that the white man is holding every else down.
    Last edited by jim102016; 12-Jul-2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post

Yes, it would have made a much more interesting movie. Many people are tired of being beat over the head with the idea that the white man is holding every else down.
    I agree 100% jim. I am soooo sick of that crap. I think alot of it is media driven. For the most part the only person holding anyone down is the face they see in the mirror. Glad you posted that.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    However, Day is still before Land!!!
    Because it can't be said enough, in my opinion.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    I agree 100% jim. I am soooo sick of that crap. I think alot of it is media driven. For the most part the only person holding anyone down is the face they see in the mirror. Glad you posted that.

Definitely. This goes right along with why I will never accept the "they need money" argument:

Everything is there for the taking, Kaufman or no Kaufman. People are starving in the streets. Why? Because they choose to live that way, under Kaufman's little "money system". Look at Cholo and Riley. They're going out, and bringing things back. If you want something, get off your ass and go looting like they do! You don't need to buy or use Kaufman's money, if you just get what you want yourself. WTF is stopping you?

"I don't feel like doing all that". That's what's stopping them. And that's the same exact thing that happens in real life. People just don't want to put forth the effort required to get what they want, so they claim to be victims. Easier to blame someone else than to get off the sofa.

United States
    @SRP76 - I think your point is valid. I believe the "what's stopping them" is the *assumption* that the outside world was a dangerous place and only Kaufman and his crews had the means to safely scavenge. Riley points this out when he says the walls are a prison keeping people in, not a safe haven. The problem with this line of reasoning, of course, is that there simply weren't enough zombies in the area to make the dangers self-evident. You can't convince the viewers of the dangers of zombies without zombies.

I watch the movie and think that with so few zombies around Mulligan and a dozen men could make their way out into the world. But the movie was obviously trying to sell this as an impossibility.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    You don't need to buy or use Kaufman's money, if you just get what you want yourself. WTF is stopping you?
    A big f**kin' vehicle with maximum firepower for starters. It is no small coincidence that the group doing Kaufman's looting and dirty work looks just like the biker gang in DAWN.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    "I don't feel like doing all that". That's what's stopping them.
    The only reason anyone would minimize the power of rich, white and stupid is because they like to think (hope) they belong to that group, too. The power elite don't actually work for what they have either; like Kaufman, they simply make the rules in their own favor.

This is exactly why the point needs to be beat over everyone's heads: perhaps one day, people will wake up. Oops, wrong movie.

Undisclosed
    Speaking of Land of the Dead, i remember years back, i was reading stories in the fiction, and i swear there was some story that was the same as the movie, more or less. Am I having issues, or does anyone else remember? God, it's been so long, but whatever it was, it was a couple of years before the movie came out...