6 9.23%
  • Diary of the Dead

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favorite Dead film Opening?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfast41 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have finally joined after lots of lurking,and I'm wondering why it took me so long to do it. LOL, I've been watching these movies over and over again for years. Anyhow, although my favorite opening from the choices listed is Day, I also must say that I think the 1st 15 minutes or so of the Dawn remake tops 'em all. It just drops ya right in there,grabs ya, and doesnt let go till Ana nails the tree with her car.
    To be fair, the first 15 minutes of of the dawn remake are pretty fucking good and i dunno if anyone can deny that.

Undisclosed
    Voted Day of the dead.

'Hello. Is anyone there?' Perfect opening. Everything comes together in those opening minutes; Romero's direction, the make-up, the soundtrack. The creepiness of it all.

Dawn is a close second though. That chaos in the studio had me terrified as a kid before I had even seen one zombie.
    Tonally very different from what he's doing these past few years.
    Though those opening scenes on the island (the father keeping his undead kids chained to their beds) in Survival are pretty nice as well. Shame he's mostly playing it for laughs for the rest of the film.

Dawn remake? A bit over the top no? Too 'Michael Bay' for me.
    Last edited by krisvds; 01-Dec-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: lousy syntax

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Dawn is a close second though. That chaos in the studio had me terrified as a kid before I had even seen one zombie.
    I kept expecting zombie hands to break through the shag wall carpeting behind Fran...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    To be fair, the first 15 minutes of of the dawn remake are pretty fucking good and i dunno if anyone can deny that.
    It was good except for three rediculously stupid things:-
    1) Ninja gravity defying zombie girl neighbour - Why did she need to spring around like that? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
    2) 'Infected' eyes boyfriend - Why the need to change his eyes within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
    3) 'Godzilla cries' - Why did her boyfriend's lungs change within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.

But none-the-less, the first 15 mins was pretty damn good... Shame the rest of it dropped in quality (IMHO)...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The neighbor girl defies gravity just like the rest of the veloci-zombies. Look at the one that jumps from the bottom of the stairs to the stair rail after the sewer scene. Stupid stuff.

But yeah...the intro is pretty cool in a frantic "holy shit!" kind of way. It still doesn't pack the dreadful punch that Romero managed in Dawn/Day, though.

Administrator

England
    Im just saying i can see where the guy is coming from, the opening 15 minutes, up to and including the opening credits complete with johnny cash, is amazing. Its a real shame that the rest of the movie dosnt keep the pace up after that.

Personally, night of the living dead still gets my vote, my favourite movie ever. my favourite opening to any movie ever.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Im just saying i can see where the guy is coming from, the opening 15 minutes, up to and including the opening credits complete with johnny cash, is amazing. Its a real shame that the rest of the movie dosnt keep the pace up after that.

Personally, night of the living dead still gets my vote, my favourite movie ever. my favourite opening to any movie ever.
    EXACTLY couldn't have said it better myself Andy!
    One of my fav's is the opening of Night '90...that was really cool how they did that, if you notice GAR's openings in his movies are real grabbers. Sucks you right in...gets you ready to settle down and watch a ZOMBIE movie!!!!!!

Dying

United States
    The opening to Dawn '04 was pretty cool...still ain't as awesome as it could've been if it was a faithful remake. The original has a way cooler opening. The whole apartment complex fight followed by the feast of the apartments dead

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It was good except for three rediculously stupid things:-
    1) Ninja gravity defying zombie girl neighbour - Why did she need to spring around like that? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
    2) 'Infected' eyes boyfriend - Why the need to change his eyes within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
    3) 'Godzilla cries' - Why did her boyfriend's lungs change within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.

But none-the-less, the first 15 mins was pretty damn good... Shame the rest of it dropped in quality (IMHO)...

the boyfriend had the rage symptoms like 28 days later more than anything. there wasnt anything zombie about him