Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rockstar's L.A. Noire - debut trailer

Dying

United States
    The only reason I won't be getting this game is that I'm starting to get burned out by sandbox-style games. I'll still be picking up Infamous 2 and Arkham City, but it will be a while before I end up getting LA Noir, if ever. With that said, it certainly looks impressive, especially the face design.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    The only reason I won't be getting this game is that I'm starting to get burned out by sandbox-style games. I'll still be picking up Infamous 2 and Arkham City, but it will be a while before I end up getting LA Noir, if ever. With that said, it certainly looks impressive, especially the face design.
    thats exactly why i have yet to play red dead, theres only so many reskins of the same exact thing i can enjoy.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can certainly understand getting tired of the same set up, but in sandbox games doesn't it all come down to the environment, atmosphere, and feeling? That's what put RDR one step above the rest. Not only was it fun, but it actually feels like living out the old west.

Which i'm sure will be true for LA Noire. Nobody can do it quite like rockstar, imo.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can certainly understand getting tired of the same set up, but in sandbox games doesn't it all come down to the environment, atmosphere, and feeling? That's what put RDR one step above the rest. Not only was it fun, but it actually feels like living out the old west.
    I played RDR and liked it a lot, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Infamous. RDR just wasn't fast-paced enough for me to completely agree with the lovefest for it. Since LA Noir is following roughly the same formula, I'm not all that interested in it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    does the xbox STILL not let you download updates and dlc on your pc and install it off a usb memory stick? thats wank.
    I don't know, maybe it can, maybe it can't, is that supposed to be a current feature? I wouldn't know personally, any updates to my console are made via game discs when necessary. However, being that I don't have a HDD for my 360 (as I said above), there's little point in downloading DLC or updates ... I don't even have my account set up for XBL anyway, my 360 is entirely offline. I can't be doing with paying for content that should be on the goddamned disc already, and for all the other reasons I've stated repeatedly over the years here on HPOTD ... so I won't get into it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Which i'm sure will be true for LA Noire. Nobody can do it quite like rockstar, imo.
    Agreed. Although do note that this is a Team Bondi game - distributed/published by Rockstar. I'm unsure how much development Rockstar actually did on it, or how they were involved specifically ... so perhaps it's going to be a touch different from GTA/RDR.

The atmosphere, environment, and plot of RDR were all top notch in my view ... on occasion there were some pacing issues (the odd filler mission here or there, getting used to there essentially being a fourth act).

Mind you, I do wish during the cutscenes they'd not have so many ... ... dramatic pauses ... ... during the dialogue - and indeed between sentences. Rockstar's games have had that little niggle (for me) in their cutscenes for years, although they are improving (it wasn't as acute an issue in RDR compared to GTA4 for instance).

Anyway - bring on L.A. Noire - I can't wait to go all L.A. Confidential in 1947 Los Angeles. I like the idea of cruising around and answering calls that come in on the police radio and then heading off to deliver some swift justice, and that many of the crimes in the game are based on real crimes of the time - such as the Black Dahlia. It should prove to be very interesting.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Apr-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Ireland
    See, this is where I'd like to see real role playing games going. GTA clones and the Bioware games (Mass Effect, Dragon Age) aren't really sandbox. They're linear progression games dressed up in a semi-sandbox environment. They don't really do it for me, although I do like them. I've just started playing the 'Stories from liberty City' add on for GTAIV. But, already, I know where it's going. Even if it was a brand new game, the feeling is still the same. So, I understand too what Mitch is on about. No doubt LA Noire will be more of the same. The only real difference being that it's set in 1947 LA. I'm kind of getting sick of just watching a cutscene and then heading off to kill someone and then going back to another cutscene.

I think the "Oblivion" approach is much better for keeping the person "in the world" as it were. I like to see that method built upon further. In those games you really CAN go anywhere you want in the map. It feels like a more "doable" world, if you know what I mean. RDR would have been incredible with that method and LA Noire would have been too. I'd like to see cutscenes replaced with dialogue altogether, with the outcome dependent on the dialogue. Maybe the starting of a mission is dependent on the dialogue too.

There are so many variations on sandbox games that can be explored, but the likes of Rockstar and Bioware just keep putting out the same type of game dressed up in different clothes.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    See, this is where I'd like to see real role playing games going. GTA clones and the Bioware games (Mass Effect, Dragon Age) aren't really sandbox. They're linear progression games dressed up in a semi-sandbox environment. They don't really do it for me, although I do like them. I've just started playing the 'Stories from liberty City' add on for GTAIV. But, already, I know where it's going. Even if it was a brand new game, the feeling is still the same. So, I understand too what Mitch is on about. No doubt LA Noire will be more of the same. The only real difference being that it's set in 1947 LA. I'm kind of getting sick of just watching a cutscene and then heading off to kill someone and then going back to another cutscene.
    Those aren't RPGs, they're adventure games, which have typically always been linear in nature. While games like Fallout and Oblivion may offer more wiggle room and open-ended ways to play, games like Bioshock, RDR and Mass Effect 2 have a much tighter narrative and better pacing, imo.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    does the xbox STILL not let you download updates and dlc on your pc and install it off a usb memory stick? thats wank.
    You've been able to do this for a couple years now:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/del-UpdateSteps

Super Moderator

UK

United States
    Confirmed as 3 disks on 360:

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429382

The folks at Rockstar, never ones to skimp on the amount of content they put on a game disc, have made, in L.A. Noire, a game that spreads across three discs on the Xbox 360, the company confirmed to Kotaku. The forthcoming game about being a detective in 1947 Los Angeles fills a single-layer, 25 GB Blu-Ray disc on the PlayStation 3.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Three friggin discs?!?!? Dear lord i'll never finish this game...

United States
    3 discs, huh? well, i figured it'd be a massive game, but wow. lords of shadow was 2 discs and there was a lot to that game.

this is one of those rare instances i almost wish i had a ps3. multi-disc games suck for the 360, even when you install the game to your HDD you still have to change the disc when the game calls for it....lame.

regardless, i can't wait to play this fucking thing. too bad they didn't release it this week, as this is my last week of school and i'm just chilling between finals, next week my summer job picks up and i'll be working full time again with less time and energy probably to be staying up and getting wrapped up in this one. plus i'm gonna be busy later this month moving to a new apartment.....

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like I'll surely be getting this for my PS3 instead of 360. Which is fine by me, considering my PS3 library is miniscule compared to my XBOX collection.

EDIT: But I'll also have to sit through the PS3 install... which, by the time it's done, you guys will have finished playing LA Noir.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 06-May-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    3 discs?! Now this is a surprise. I'd just assumed it'd be a single disc like RDR or GTA IV.

I hope this doesn't affect me in anyway. I don't have an Xbox hard-drive, I use two memory units for my save games. I don't have XBL either. I bloody well hope it doesn't affect me - I've been gagging for this game for flippin' ages now!

I wonder how this 3-disc business will work when it comes to freeroam gameplay, say, after you've completed the game...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-May-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Gameplay Series - Rising Through the Ranks:

idk the guy's name at 39 seconds in,but the face is a dead give away. he's been in alot of stuff including the x files

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

i was hoping for a GTA game set in the 20's-30's or the 50's. looks like i got my wish and its on a more serious tone than GTA. also, if they ever make a game based on tombstone, the movie i'll probably pass out from sheer joy

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan