Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stupid annoying phrases or sayings that get on your nerves...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post

OMG I hate that one. It just grates right into my brain & junk.
    Fixed.

See, it's the perfect addition to every sentence...and junk. I don't actually hear this one much anymore these days, actually.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    One I remembered just yesterday - "cutting too far and too fast" - it's the same fucking line that Ed-fucking-gormless-faced-student-politician-twat-brain-Milliband (the leader of the opposition, the Labour Party here in the UK) says at every fucking opportunity, and it grates me to no end ... but then again, Ed Milliband (and indeed Ed Balls) piss me off to no end in general. They're two of the biggest c**ts in parliament, and I hate that stupid phrase they love so much with a passion.

That feels better...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    on a bus with a dude so old he had grey in his beard and in a ten minute bus ride he loudly used the term 'epic fail/ epic for the win' 17 times.

i mean for fucks sake i still use the term 'rad' now and again and i think that shit is gear grindingly annoying.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    on a bus with a dude so old he had grey in his beard and in a ten minute bus ride he loudly used the term 'epic fail/ epic for the win' 17 times.

i mean for fucks sake i still use the term 'rad' now and again and i think that shit is gear grindingly annoying.
    There's a time, a place, and an intonation for such terms ... this dude sounds like he missed all the gates by a country mile.

I thought of a couple of good ones the other day for this thread, but I've completely forgotten what they were now. Grrr...

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    "Really? Really?"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'm not a big sports fan beyond baseball and football (the real football, like they play in england), both of which i absolutely love.

i HATE this new trend of calling athletes by acronyms like RG3, CP3, etc. ESPN has turned into nothing more than tabloid journalism at its worst. but that is a subject for another post.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post

i HATE this new trend of calling athletes by acronyms like RG3, CP3, etc.
    I had no clue this was something they were doing nowadays. I pretty much checked out entirely on pro sports a couple years ago. It's great as a money making scheme to pump funds into businesses, but beyond that--on a personal level--I can't see the benefit or find joy in it anymore..

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Thought of one that I've been meaning to mention for a while - whenever politicians refer to the likes of you and me as "ordinary" or "average" ... it's a bit condescending, and they're all at it, like it's some institutional belief that it's a compliment to insist on saying we're all as boring and dull as everyone else (possibly except them, depending on the tone of delivery) ... yeah, cheers, thanks a lot.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I had no clue this was something they were doing nowadays. I pretty much checked out entirely on pro sports a couple years ago. It's great as a money making scheme to pump funds into businesses, but beyond that--on a personal level--I can't see the benefit or find joy in it anymore..
    i'm pretty much at that point myself. the NBA, the NHL, the NFL could all cease to exist tomorrow and i wouldn't even notice it. i do, however, love that game of baseball and have stopped watching ESPN totally now that MLB has its own network. i can't stand sitting there waiting for baseball scores and getting 20 minutes of what tim frikkin' tebow had for lunch. nothing and i mean nothing proves just how fooked up our culture is than its obsession with athletes. for me its about baseball, the players come and go, the game remains. i enjoy the real football because like baseball, it isn't a "gentlemen's game" and that sportsmanship crap not only takes a back seat in football, most times it's in the trunk.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Don't know if this one has been mentioned, but it drives me up the freaking wall. "You could say that."

Dammit, what kind of stupid remark is that to say to something I just said? Of course I could say that that, because I just did!

I told my partner at work about that irritating statement, and later that day he remarked to something I said to him, "Yeah, you could say that."

"Dammit! I did just say that!" was the reply he got from me. (Still don't know if he did it on purpose to agrivate me, knowing him, probably).

Super Moderator

UK
    This one keeps springing to mind, then I keep forgetting it before I get on here - but I've remembered it now.

Anyone who isn't American, pronouncing it "ass" instead of "arse". "Ass" suits an American accent, but it doesn't suit a British accent at all - it sounds bloody awful - so it always annoys me when a Brit says "ass" instead of the native "arse".

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just heard someone repeatedly say "mingin" a word i havent heard in years. Something used, ironically, by white trash to express disgust in something vulgar. The irony being lost on them as they swill their roll up ash around their gobs with irn-bru

-- -------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    This one keeps springing to mind, then I keep forgetting it before I get on here - but I've remembered it now.

Anyone who isn't American, pronouncing it "ass" instead of "arse". "Ass" suits an American accent, but it doesn't suit a British accent at all - it sounds bloody awful - so it always annoys me when a Brit says "ass" instead of the native "arse".
    I use ass all the time. To tell someone to stop being an ass, to point out the lyrics to a certain rap song are in fact "ass, ass, titties, titties, ass, ass, titties" or 'that guys gonna get his ass kicked".

i reserve arse specifically for someone whos an arsehole. so basically anyone remotely connected to shit like heat magazine or big brother.

Super Moderator

UK
    When quoting "ass", then that's fine - it's part of the quote - but British people routinely using "ass" in terms such as "asshole" irks me. It just sounds wrong and silly - the correct British pronunciation is "arse'ole", thank you very much.

Likewise if referring to a Donkey (although just use "Donkey", really) then that's okay ... but as a swear word (as soft as it is), if you're a Brit it's got to be "arse". I always get a irksome shiver down my spine whenever the Zero Punctuation guy says "asshole", the "h" is pronounced and well, he said "ass" and not "arse", and it just sounds weird damn it!

Super Moderator

United States
    I think it's great that this thread confirms that the only surefire way to not upset anyone here is to just not post. Anything else and someone is gnashing their teeth.

More proof for the truism that not matter what you do you're bound to piss someone off.

United States
    Yeah, you could say that.

I guess it all goes back to the saying, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all the time."

Looks like I'm going to have to continue to be a pain in the arse and getting into people's brains and junk.

What an epic fail on my part.

*runs and hides*