Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x01 "Seed" episode discussion **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the one thing i find most intriguing is that the character that i would not bother 5 mins of my time with in real life, is the one that i find myself most interested in and the one i'd most want protecting my back: Daryl. he's a redneck peckerwood and there's no doubt about that but in a situation like this were social distinctions breakdown, there is no one else in the group i'd trust more.
    Clint Eastwood's Commander in the movie "Heart Break Ridge" summed it up. "Gunny, you should be locked in a box with a "Break Glass In Case Of War" sign".
    Societies tend to love their warriors/protectors but really don't want them too close to home or dating their daughters.
    I wish I was a shrink and understood the rationale.

United States
    well, i have decided to give this show one last and final chance. i did enjoy the new episode quite a bit with one exception: who in their right mind exposes the only person in their group with advanced medical knowledge to danger? that was dumb as a box of hand rubbed rocks. Hershel would be under an acrylic dome with air holes in it until he's needed.

at least they knew enough not to break formation in the prison yard scene.

the one thing i find most intriguing is that the character that i would not bother 5 mins of my time with in real life, is the one that i find myself most interested in and the one i'd most want protecting my back: Daryl. he's a redneck peckerwood and there's no doubt about that but in a situation like this were social distinctions breakdown, there is no one else in the group i'd trust more.
    Last and final chance? I realize TWD isnt a show for everybody but for someone that posts on a zombie forum, I wouldnt expect that. And I'm not attacking you by any means. I grew up on Romero and am so disappointed in what he has produced since Day. Faults aside Dawn04 kickstarted the zombie genre again. It was dead, gone, the past. So Romero finally gets funds for Land and I cant help but laugh and cringe as I watch. Spoilers aside stepping into a theater with a George Romero zombie flick had me beyond excited. I left shaking my head. Listening to laughs in the audience as Big Dummy grunted his way to revenge against the oppressive Republican regime. He blew it. And its just went down hill. Romero's focus on politics is so over done.

Though I will always pay respect to Romero for his early vision and trilogy. TWD has elevated and blown Romero out of the water. They took his monster and created a great story/vision.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    So you were/are a Hall Red Devil. I'm from Mendota.

Thought it was cool to see carol with AK47s and Hershel with an M4. Assuming those were found clearing houses. I don't recall seeing shotguns so I'm guessing they used up the ammo. Would have been nice to have a 12 gauge with 7 rnd mag on point with buckshot clearing those halls.
    Yeah, I was a Hall Red Devil/Hog Soldier, 1991-1994.
    I was surprised to see hershel with that M4. I thought maybe he got it from the guard tower. But it showed Maggie grab that Axe from the woodpile at that house. So clearly they've become adept at foraging.

My point is still valid though, the group feels far too small now, even with the introduction of the inmates.
    They're really gonna need to keep an eye on those women with inmates roaming about. On the same token, they could sure use an alliance with the inmates when the conflict with the Gov steps up.

At least this year nobody has to put up with Carl's shit except Hershel, Hershel also has to deal with Lori's shit. That poor old man!! He's this years shit magnet. He's either gonna die, or be the crazy dude that can't leave the safe zone so he has to put up with Lori, Carl, probably alot of Carl chasing Beth. We already know Carl has the ability to be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Everywhere there's a problem, Carl mysteriously appears on scene, while Lori runs around trying to find him. So Hershel's either gonna be laying around healing from the amputation, or dying because it didn't prevent him from the infection.
    Last edited by babomb; 16-Oct-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: ..

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Last and final chance? I realize TWD isnt a show for everybody but for someone that posts on a zombie forum, I wouldnt expect that. And I'm not attacking you by any means.
    i have not been able to get into the show because some of the characters really annoy me. Andrea is at the top of that list. i'm all about identity. other than Daryl, i have not been able to connect with most of the people in the show and that is a major stumbling block.

but i haven't given up. i keep trying and it will either click or not.

just for sake of clarity: i really don't care for modern tv or for shows that are driven by one over arcing story. the exception to this is B5. shows like that usually descend into cliches of "us vs. them" or "who is the real enemy." that sort of thing usually doesn't do much for me. that is why i am a big fan of 60s and 70s tv where the eps are more or less unconnected to one another. i much prefer it that way.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    This was sick season opener, love the little bit of time lapse and the way the group has learned how to survive with greater cohesion.

Did anybody notice Rick and a few other really loving the butchery in this ep? This show is by no means perfect, but in a sea of absolute TV crap, it is a diamond floating in a sea of turds and probably the best show in town (along with Breaking Bad)...oh, and lots of zombies get killed regularly, so it's a win-win as far as I am concerned!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 16-Oct-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Andrea has proven to me that even in a zombie apocalypse a vain enough woman will continue to bleach/frost her hair and make botox appointments.
    I cannot believe in that character no matter how hard they try to toughen her up. If she and Michonne run into similar fates in Woodbury as graphic novel Michonne does I hope they take the chance to write her off.
    Let Beth grow into the Andrea we all know and expect.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    I cannot believe in that character no matter how hard they try to toughen her up. If she and Michonne run into similar fates in Woodbury as graphic novel Michonne does I hope they take the chance to write her off.
    Let Beth grow into the Andrea we all know and expect.
    That would be great!

United States
    I was surprised to see hershel with that M4. I thought maybe he got it from the guard tower. But it showed Maggie grab that Axe from the woodpile at that house. So clearly they've become adept at foraging.

Well I'll be damned. We then battled at Doenier and Nesti stadium. I was in the trenches for the Trojans from 92-95. Small world. Hall sure misses Vicini.

Sure hope the group can replenish ammo at prison. Should have some heavy hitting .308 and M14's to go with. Ofcourse .223 with Hershel's M4 would be nice

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    They're really gonna need to keep an eye on those women with inmates roaming about. On the same token, they could sure use an alliance with the inmates when the conflict with the Gov steps up.
    Just out of interest, have you read the comics? Do you know where they go with the inmates there?

Dead

United States
    Well I'll be damned. We then battled at Doenier and Nesti stadium. I was in the trenches for the Trojans from 92-95. Small world. Hall sure misses Vicini.

Sure hope the group can replenish ammo at prison. Should have some heavy hitting .308 and M14's to go with. Ofcourse .223 with Hershel's M4 would be nice
    Hall sucks now! They can't seem to win a friggin game. They had a kid die on the field this year. Kids are too spoiled these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Just out of interest, have you read the comics? Do you know where they go with the inmates there?
    Yeah. But things are so different in the show that I can't see it working out anywhere near the same way.
    A couple possible theories though:

Beth alone dies at the hands of the deranged inmate, as i can't see that being Maggies fate.

Because:

Lori dies in the prison, and Glenn and Maggie take the baby because Rick and Carl take off after the final assault by the woodbury forces.

But really, it's very hard to say what will actually happen because of the differences between the comics and show.

For instance:

Is Michonne gonna hook up with Daryl, making Carol try to off herself? And does she try to get into a threesome with Rick and Lori

That doesn't seem likely. But who knows?

What about you? Any predictions?
    Last edited by babomb; 17-Oct-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: ..

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    In the comics their prison stay is extended and full of personal drama, loss, sex/lust, deviancy, murder and greed.
    Some of the storylines are now impossible because the character mix is different and very shallow.
    The current tv group would not survive that arc without doubling the size of the regular cast.
    The actress that plays Lori has said numerous times that Lori should die by the end of this season or the beginning of the next.
    If this group ever leaves the prison Lori's baby will die. There is no way they leave that prison voluntarily and living on the road with an infant, even toddler, would be next to impossible.
    ***Not to mention the industry child labor rules when using small children in productions.

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I would've liked to see them going house to house in that 7 months between seasons. That's one of the things I always thought would be the most interesting during an apocalypse.
    But seeing them developing into a well formed unit is another aspect of an apocalypse that interests me.
    I could care less about the gore and spectacular kills also. To be honest, I think that aspect is way overdone. The walkers have too much of a cartoonish look, which is further exaggerated during kill scenes. I wish they would step that down a notch. I don't understand why they chose that specific aspect to adhere so strictly to the comics. They're so free about straying from the source material in so many other aspects. But they choose the single aspect that should be dialed down from the comics, and vamp it up even higher.
    I think the reason we didn't see this is the same reason Sophia bit it so early on the show: Children aging in real life as actors vs the timeline on the show. The kid playing Carl in real life is growing up/getting older, so this was an easy way to advance multiple months of Lori's pregnancy while also allowing Carl's TV show age to keep up with his aging in real life.

If they don't do some creative timing like this in the show, they'll end up having to kill Carl off. And as annoying as he is, I think he's one of those guys you have to keep around because of all the stuff he does/his importance in the comics. I get Kirkman wanting to change it up a bit (and I like that too), but I think Carl is one of the characters you can't kill off.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    Andrea has proven to me that even in a zombie apocalypse a vain enough woman will continue to bleach/frost her hair and make botox appointments.
    that's enough to make one snort soda out of at least one nostril.

to cut back to the comics for one second: they start in Cynthiana, KY. that is a real town in northern KY. it ls less than 50 miles from Cincinnati which is a major hub of the federal govt. (including the National Institute of Health, the CDC, the Dept. of Defense) and the largest city in this region. no one from this part of the country would head off to Atlanta, a nearly 500 mile journey. I-75 would be a frickin madhouse and the other ways south from here require you to cross a mountain range. it just never made sense to me. i guess Atlanta was a simple opt out because everyone knows the CDC headquarters is there.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    to cut back to the comics for one second: they start in Cynthiana, KY. that is a real town in northern KY. it ls less than 50 miles from Cincinnati which is a major hub of the federal govt. (including the National Institute of Health, the CDC, the Dept. of Defense) and the largest city in this region. no one from this part of the country would head off to Atlanta, a nearly 500 mile journey. I-75 would be a frickin madhouse and the other ways south from here require you to cross a mountain range. it just never made sense to me. i guess Atlanta was a simple opt out because everyone knows the CDC headquarters is there.
    Actually, Kirkman has said the CDC never even occured to him when writing those early issues. Atlanta was basically chosen by opening a map, seeing Atlanta, and saying "Okay.....Rick will go to Atlanta". This is also the reason the group hits a substantial snow storm after leaving the city. If Kirkman knew enough about Georgia, he would have known that snowfall here is very rare and rarely accumulates or stays around for more than a day or so.

Thankfully Darabont changed Rick's hometown to "Kings County, Georgia"(reference to Stephen King) in the TV series. Now it makes more sense to go to Atlanta....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Actually, Kirkman has said the CDC never even occured to him when writing those early issues. Atlanta was basically chosen by opening a map, seeing Atlanta, and saying "Okay.....Rick will go to Atlanta". This is also the reason the group hits a substantial snow storm after leaving the city. If Kirkman knew enough about Georgia, he would have known that snowfall here is very rare and rarely accumulates or stays around for more than a day or so.

Thankfully Darabont changed Rick's hometown to "Kings County, Georgia"(reference to Stephen King) in the TV series. Now it makes more sense to go to Atlanta....
    Huh. i did not know that. just picked it out of a map. welp, that's as good a reason as any. if they had stayed with the original location it would've been rather ridiculous. a 500 mile journey under those conditions would be, quite literally, a death trip. i found the snow storm in the comics suspect too. it doesn't snow much south of here unless you are up in the mountains and even there it doesn't snow much.

thanks for the info, dude. that's always sort of bothered me when i was reading the comics.