Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: *new* Modern Warfare 2 "Infamy" trailer!!!

England
    It does look awesome, but im wondering what the crack with that brief glimpse of an outer space level is all about? thats taking it a step too far in a CoD game in my opinion!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    It does look awesome, but im wondering what the crack with that brief glimpse of an outer space level is all about? thats taking it a step too far in a CoD game in my opinion!
    If the words "Modern Warfare" I would be in complete agreement with you.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    I just thought the CoD modern war games were based on the present day though thats all (albeit with fictional conflicts)

United States
    It looks like that part of the game doesn't have you playing from the point of view of a space soldier, but rather an astronaut.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just thought the CoD modern war games were based on the present day though thats all (albeit with fictional conflicts)
    I believe that as well. But it's been my experience that when video games are too real:

A) It gets really boring really quick so they feel the need to embelish a bit.

B) If the events in the game mirror those of real life too closely it causes contreversy.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, it's not gonna be a space solider, like has already been said. No doubt it'll be you as just an astronaut up and about doing space stuff when something goes crazy.

I'm really looking forward to that part.

I've had an hour on it so far, stopped for now at the beginning of the Favella level.

I've seen and played the controversial "No Russian" level, and I bet you there'll be a hell of a storm about that - Keith Vaz (a right corrupt wanker MP) has already moaned about it in parliament, so I bet it'll cause a bit of a storm.

I wasn't offended, but I was blown away by it ... it's rather graphic, and incredibly dramatic.

Will no doubt have another bash on it later.

As for the story, it's set five years after COD4, and seeing Soap MacTavish (the SAS dude you played in COD4) as a guiding NPC is really cool.

The snow base level, which was also shown around various expos and online, is quite tense to play too, sneaking around in a blizzard picking off people with a silenced gun before you go to "Plan B", which has the already seen but very thrilling to play snow mobile escape.

United States

!

Thanks for the impressions, sounds as awesome as I'd been hoping! I gotta wait about 7 more hours to get my hands on it, have you spent any time on SpecOps yet?

Not sure if I should jump in on Hardened of Veteran for my first playthrough, decisions decisions

United States
    as i've already been bitching about, i've got a speech to give tomorrow for one of my classes, three rather large exams, a minor research project, and a three page extra credit report all in the next week.

so instead of getting my copy at midnight as i'd planned, i'm gonna have to hold off till the weekend to pick this bad boy up. and i'm going through on veteran from jump street.

EDIT: fuck it, who am i kidding? i'm a big boy and can manage my time wisely....i'm picking this damn game up tonight!
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 10-Nov-2009 at 02:01 AM.

United States
    Just got back, and it was definitely the biggest videogame launch I've ever been to. At least 150 people snaked around the shopping plaza:

The faint red light in the distance is Gamestop, plus there was about 50 more people behind me. Gonna chow down on my Taco Bell, then it's on!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Bloody american dating system...thought it was out THIS midnight, so woke up to find it's already been out for 8 hours!!! I dunno but i thought it was the 11/11 cos the real date of 11/10 should read 10/11....anyway...I bought the game this morning - so in the spirit of intense nuclear war, I forgive you all....

Now, where's my pig?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    I was bashing away again at it last night. I've done Act I, and I've done the first 3 levels of Act II - I've got up to the level which features the underwater scuba stuff as seen in the trailers, and decided to stop there for the night.

As for the game itself...

It's the most intensely chaotic overdose injection of pure adrenaline I've ever experienced in a videogame.

It's fucking insane.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, I've just got off the phone with a mate of mine (and fellow COD nut). Not only was he jealous that I got my copy a day early, but having been looking forward to playing MW2 all day when he was at work, he comes home to find he can't go home - because some nutter in a nearby flat has apparently got a bomb and is holding someone hostage.

He shits me not, and I likewise shit you not.

How fucking crazy is that?!

As for MW2, I'm now well into Act III - I've just done the safehouse level (yes, with the big "bloody nora!" level close), and *shock horror*, I've got a complaint about MW2.

It's not a game ruining complaint, and I still love it, and I've still been routintely jaw-dropped.

But fuck off is what I'm playing "casual" - I'm on casual mode you see, that's how I wanna play my games - this ain't casual. Fuck off am I going anywhere near a higher setting, especially Veteran.

There's motherfuckers EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. There's almost no let-up ever, and even the 'quiet' levels escalate into a fubar situation with ease.

My point being - it's too insane. Too crazy and chaotic.

The level I was just on is a prime example, defending an area with multiple entrances, you've got your pokey not-very-clear compass in the corner, and everyone is either shooting at you, or barking orders and compass directions at you. It's RETARDED how breathless that level becomes, and indeed most of the game is.

As for the aforementioned "bloody nora!" moment, read on if you don't mind spoilers:

So after that total FUBAR situation at Makharov's hideout, Cpl Shepherd goes and fucking SHOOTS you (at this point you're playing Roach - through whose eyes you get to see the Kevin McKidd voiced Soap MacTavish you played in COD4) - not only that, he shoots Ghost as well (the badass with the skull-painted face mask) - not only that, they fucking throw you both in a ditch, pour petrol on you, and burn you alive!

Then after all that drama (my jaw was definitely floored), you go to the next level and - despite the sorry and horrific loss of Roach - you get back into the guise of Soap MacTavish - who is rejoined by, yes, the previously released from captivity Captain Price!

Holy fucking shit this game is like all the seasons of 24 boiled down into a heroin-style overdose that's shot right into your crazed, wide-open eyeball...

Also - the whole thing in the launch trailer with being in space (with plot spoilers)...

It's only a brief level, one of those "look and see" ones - you happen to be up in space fixing something by the ISS, you're told to look to the darkside of the earth, and you see the nuclear missile that Captain Price has launched in the previous level come soaring near you - it explodes - shit goes crazy, and your astronaut dude dies along with the ISS ... kinda harsh, but incredibly dramatic.

To be honest, I personally wanted a bit more space play, but even still the moment doesn't outstay it's welcome, and nobody should be concerned about 'space soldiers' or any nonsense.

So yeah, this game is fucking CRAZY. I'm constantly stunned by the sights and sounds ... and yes, the batshit crazy amounts of chaos all around you every fucking moment.

Which, yes, I think they've overdosed on - especially for casual mode anyway - which I'd have recommended (had I been a tester) to calm down on the on-screen blood when you get shot, to calm down on the amount of enemies you face, and to generally just allow the CASUAL player to breathe a little bit now and then.

I still love this game, but yeah ... that aforementioned intensely chaotic injection of pure adrenaline - the mofo is jabbed right into your damn eye every five seconds.

England
    What i want to know is......how has captain price managed to get from world war 2 (and im sure he died in CoD 1 on the Tirpitz before reappearing in CoD2) to the modern battlefield?? I know its only a game & they can do what they like, but it kind of doesnt sit easy with the continuity of the series!

Super Moderator

UK
    What i want to know is......how has captain price managed to get from world war 2 (and im sure he died in CoD 1 on the Tirpitz before reappearing in CoD2) to the modern battlefield?? I know its only a game & they can do what they like, but it kind of doesnt sit easy with the continuity of the series!
    Well it's clearly a descendent of Captain Price in the original WW2-based COD games.

Screw your noggin on, chap.

BTW - Captain Price rocks!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well it's clearly a descendent of Captain Price in the original WW2-based COD games.

Screw your noggin on, chap.

BTW - Captain Price rocks!
    Ha ha I would say clone more like, the blokes identical! Not that im complaining, ive always liked his character in the CoD games!