Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Indy 4 film... Oh dear...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    so Neil would have preferred a 40 minute ,eventless ,quiet leisurely drive down the mountain instead of action?

WHADDA****MAN,ITSANINDIEMOVIE!?!?!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    so Neil would have preferred a 40 minute ,eventless ,quiet leisurely drive down the mountain instead of action?

WHADDA****MAN,ITSANINDIEMOVIE!?!?!
    No... Read my posts - they were perfectly clear. I can give you a hand with some of the bigger words if necessary...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    See, I didn't have a problem with the action though. I just had a problem with Karen Allen.
    See, to me the initial motorcycle chase was decent and had some well placed humor, while the tromp through the jungle was kind of crudely thought out and was not only boring, but contrived. I don't know, maybe I have to see it again, but it just seemed like lazy film making and the tarzan swing and cgi monkeys were horrible.

Add to all this the heavy-handedness of how the 'aliens' were dealt with and you get mediocre, unimaginative box office fare.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know that alot of people weren't too happy about the new Indy film, so I'm not trying to get into one of those "I'm not buying that because it's crap and my opinion is FACT" arguments.

Just curious if the people who did like the film have bought the DVD yet. I'm thinking of going to pick it up today, but want to know what the features are like. If the features are no good, I'll wait until they release the better version. Which you know they'll do. It's Lucas...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I know that alot of people weren't too happy about the new Indy film, so I'm not trying to get into one of those "I'm not buying that because it's crap and my opinion is FACT" arguments.

Just curious if the people who did like the film have bought the DVD yet. I'm thinking of going to pick it up today, but want to know what the features are like. If the features are no good, I'll wait until they release the better version. Which you know they'll do. It's Lucas...
    If they can replace the guns with walkie-talkies in ET, they can wipe that stupid grin off her face!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    See, to me the initial motorcycle chase was decent and had some well placed humor, while the tromp through the jungle was kind of crudely thought out and was not only boring, but contrived. I don't know, maybe I have to see it again, but it just seemed like lazy film making and the tarzan swing and cgi monkeys were horrible.

Add to all this the heavy-handedness of how the 'aliens' were dealt with and you get mediocre, unimaginative box office fare.
    Which just reinforces the notion that hollywood is bankrupt in terms of fresh ideas. (among other things). Not many movies impresses me anymore. Truthfully speaking, imo the more cgi that's in a movies the worse it usually is. It seems to be used as a substitute for a solid plot, good pacing and commentary.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If they can replace the guns with walkie-talkies in ET, they can wipe that stupid grin off her face!
    Damn it Neil! That's exactly the kind of input I DIDNT want!

There was a bit too much grinning, though. I;m definitely going to buy the DVD because although it does have it's flaws, I thought it was a good time. It kept me entertained like it should and I have to have the DVD to complete the series, anyway.

I'm looking forward to watching it at home. Especially the special features.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I;m definitely going to buy the DVD
    For use as a coaster, a frisbee or a gift for someone you harbor a grudge against?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    For use as a coaster, a frisbee or a gift for someone you harbor a grudge against?
    No...I'm getting it to watch it because I'm not overly critical of a film series based on Serials with outlandish action sequences from the 1930's.

Thanks for making the exact kind of comment I was trying to avoid, btw. You've contributed alot...
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Oct-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    I wasn't popping a boner for it, but nor was I 'doing a South Park' over it either.

Although I did find that South Park episode to be absolutely hilarious ... and wrong ... very, very wrong ... in terms of visuals they presented, not opinion ... f*ckin' ewww.

Anyway, nope, I haven't bought the DVD...might get the whole lot on DVD at some point - IF they put out a PROPER box set with kick ass extras, not just some lame sh*t where everybody briefly says how lovely everybody else was.

Apparently the original box set (now out of print) was better than the current one in terms of extras and such. Missed the boat on that one then eh?

I will watch it again though, and the first three had some pretty darn outrageous things in them too ... and yes, while the whole fridge thing was preposterous, it was really entertaining - and obviously fitting with the 1950s setting - which is obviously why it has the ending twist that it does, it's one of the fundamental things about 1950s America.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Apparently the original box set (now out of print) was better than the current one in terms of extras and such. Missed the boat on that one then eh?
    That's the one I've got. If you ever see it for sell I would suggest you snatch it up. It's got some good features. Disc four contains making-of's for each film that are an hour long each. Several other little treats, too.

Undisclosed
    South Park guys just did their take on Indy 4...funny as hell!!!

Be sure to try and see this!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    South Park guys just did their take on Indy 4...funny as hell!!!

Be sure to try and see this!

Ah man it was good, disturbingly so.

Apparently there's been a bit of a flap about it from some people, decrying 'why is this on national television?!' and such ... but some of the best SP episodes court controversy, so it's all good.

Bassman - aye indeed, I wish I'd bought it when it was available. I did get the three original films on VHS a few years back, but now I look back and think "why the f*ck did I do that?" - they're all in bloody pan & scan.

United States
    My father got the Indy 4 dvd today,and he is going to let me watch it this weekend.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ah man it was good, disturbingly so.
    me gran was in the room right at lucas raping him over a pinball machine