Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dredd (film) - Judge Dredd movie

Ireland
    I know, but still. Sure, they can make them out of rubber and bob yer uncle. Of course it's obstructive and stupid, but so's his helmet.

I always liked the 2000AD shoulder/knee pad fascination and the big boots. Just looked weird. A navy suit and big feck off yellow knee and shoulder pads. He's missing the chained name badge too.

At least he's going to keep the bloody helmet on!

The only reason I'm going to see this in the pics is because John Wagner's involved.

The uniform can be done though and quite successfully without much sacrifice to practicality. I think the producers just took the lazy option, TBH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JhQXCjTLY
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 15-Sep-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    I loved it, bloody excellent film! No issue with the uniform for me, it looked good, as well as all scratched up & grubby like its seen some action, & no gold codpiece thankfully! The whole film is gritty as it should be, very violent & the effects are great. The slo mo sequences are hypnotic, including one where a drug den is raided by Dredd & you see bullets ripping through people's heads in slow motion, grim but uber cool. Go see it! The 3D is good too I thought.

Ireland
    !!!!!Warning: May contain traces of spoil!!!!!

Saw this today. It's pretty decent. The good stuff:

It has a very tight script and there's little flab and its 90 odd minutes go by well. It was a good idea to confine it to a city block too and not burst the budget and the general mechanism of using a kind of "hotdog run" was an excellent way to introduce Anderson. Speaking of Anderson, Olivia Thirlby is spot on and really brings her to life. She's one of the best things about the filmand I really hope she returns in any particular sequels. Whoever cast her was right on the money. If rumour is correct and the Dark Judges make an appearance at some stage, then Anderson is a must. Karl Urban has the right jaw, his voice is ok, but threatens to go OTT at times and his Dredd is decent. In fact, most of the roles are carried off very well.

The violence. In a film where "justice" is carried out on the spot and is often terminal, 'Dredd' quite rightly doesn't skimp. The film is incredibly violent and all the better for it. This is not a film for kids. Brains are splattered, bullets rip through flesh, people are skinned and thrown from balconies etc. There's a great non-nonsense approach to 21st Century post-apocalypse Mega City One "justice" and suits the setting perfectly.

There's a nice few bits and pieces thrown in for old fans, like Chopper's tag written on a wall, "Kennywho?" and passing mention of facilities like "Resyk" and "Pat-wagons".

The bad:

It's not 2000AD's Judge Dredd. It's a Judge Dredd, but not the one from 2000AD. It gets close, but no cigar, I'm afraid. I've mentioned the suit before, so I won't go into that again. But, I think it was a very bad call just to basically put Dredd in a bikers outfit. Totally doesn't work for me and I just don't accept the "practicality" excuse. Conversely, the helmet is great and when Dredd is shown from the neck up, it's fine.

Mega City One doesn't look like it should either. It's way too open-plan and not as cluttered as it should be. Mega City One's city blocks should be almost on top of one another, as the Block Wars story showed. It also looks a little too "now", if you know what I mean. It's just not futuristic enough. Although that was probably a limitation of budget, so you can kind of let it go.

The "Lawmaster" looks rubbish. It wouldn't have been that hard to get it a little closer to the comic book version. I understand that there's limits, like the huge silly wheels, but really, it's just a Kawasaki with some bits welded on.

Dredd's "Lawgiver" ain't what it should be either.

I didn't like that way that Anderson was shown as unique. A mutant. She's not. Her psychic abilities are not hers alone and the PSI Division are a firmly established unit within the Justice Department. That angle didn't work and shouldn't have been portrayed in that way...and PSI Judges don't wear their name on their badges.

All in all though, the film works well enough for me to want to see it succeed and produce a number of sequels. There's plenty of existing material for the film makers to adapt too. I'd be worried that some people who have never seen a Judge Dredd story in print won't have a clue what's going on, though and general audiences may not return. I can't see it appealing to the broader spectrum, like Nolan's Batman trilogy.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Loved it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, more in-depth...

I loved this film because of the setting and presentation. You're immediately thrown into a world full of squalor and grease. Violence and death. Society is dangerous and fast paced, and the majority of the population live in extreme poverty.
    Now, the film could make a statement about how poverty and unemployment forces people into a world of crime and selling drugs... But it doesn't.

This is a film about violence and action. There's no message here. Soul searching. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Essentially, it's no bullshit. No kidding around. Just like I want it. It's just a story about two Judges (future police force) and a day in their job.

Karl Urban's Judge Dredd is awesome. He's got very few one-liners, but rather his dialoge is simply observational. But it's so observational that it becomes hilarious at times. Lines like "Perps were... uncooperative." and "You don't look ready." are delivered with such serious demeanor that you can't help but to smile or chuckle given the situations in which they're heard.

Olivia Thirlby plays a psychic Judge-to-be and we follow her and Dredd on her first day out. She's getting assessed by the Ministry of Justice and it's up to Dredd to decide if she's fit for the role of Judge or not. Together they get caught up in a what's referred to as a Mega Block (a huge, 200 story apartment building with 75,000 inhabitants) and are forced to fight their way to the top to kill the leader of the local gang controlling the building. Apart from being the "emotional" couterpart to Dredd, Thirlby is also drop-dead gorgeous. I usually don't pick up on this kind of stuff, but damn she's hot. Also her character is not as weak as you'd expect from such a character and on occasion she shows off just the same amount of cold bloodedness required for someone in their line of business.

There's plenty of action and bloody violence to go around, most of it rather extreme. It's a gory flick. It's a gory world.

In the end, the film has grown on me. I enjoyed the hell out of it in the cinema. But today, the day after, I find myself still thinking about it. And I want to see it again! I can't wait for the Blu-ray release.

England
    Watched this again last night on Blu-Ray and still stand 100% behind what I said after seeing it at the cinema! Such an awesome arse kicking film, one of those like Aliens or Robocop that I can watch repeatedly without getting bored of it, which I can't say about many other films I've seen in the past 10 or more years.

"Ma-Ma is not the law, I'm the law" YESSSSSSS!

"Do you know how often we get a Judge up in Peach Trees??" Dredd growls "Well ya got one now"

Awesome

Super Moderator

UK
    Here's what I made of it after seeing it for the first time (on Blu-Ray) t'other week:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...s-victims.html
    What's it about?
    A fresh attempt at turning the long-running British comic book Judge Dredd, from 2000AD, into a movie, after the not-exactly-great Sylvester Stallone version in the 1990s. Dredd and rookie Judge Anderson head to a mega block of flats called Peach Trees after a triple homicide is reported - however, in this crime-ridden 200-storey slum, they're going to be trapped alone together versus the MaMa gang who are pushing a new drug called Slo-Mo on Mega City One.
    Who would I recognise in it?
    Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Lena Heady, Wood Harris.
    Great/Good/Alright/Shite?
    Scripted by Alex Garland (28 Days Later), shot by Anthony Dod Mantle (127 Hours, Oscar winning DoP), and directed by Pete Travis (Vantage Point), this fresh take on Judge Dredd is a welcome shot in the arm. Clocking in at a focused 95 minutes, the action comes thick and fast - not-to-mention blood-drenched - as blunt force Dredd and rookie try-out Anderson (a psychic) battle their way through a hellish skyscraper controlled by drug-addled miscreants. Parallels have been drawn to The Raid (tower block, bad guys, lots of arse kicking violence), but the two sit well by themselves and need no comparison. Extremely stylish (the Slo-Mo drug is realised on the screen in super-slow-motion that turns bullets ripping through cheeks into hypnotically beautiful moments), Dredd is sheer balls-out fun.

While I'm unfamiliar with the Judge Dredd source material, Karl Urban fits the bill as the grimacing law man - a gruff sort who dishes out justice according to hard-and-fast rules and never takes his helmet off (cue hordes of cheering fans) ... meanwhile Olivia Thirlby provides a more heart-felt access door for the wider audience and acts as a fitting counter-balance to Dredd's brutal law enforcement for a brutal world. Filled with crowd-pleasing, squishy, darkly comic violence, and with a focused approach, Dredd is total entertainment - here's hoping there's a sequel. It's a proper, full-on bloke's movie - guns, gore, dark humour, lashings of style, and a grinding electro/guitar soundtrack - as soon as it was over I wanted to watch it again. Great.
    I'm really looking forward to watching it again. It was just so much damn fun! I really hope we get a sequel too!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I just watched this the other day for the first time, expected a cheesy action flick. Got a siege movie starring judges. id gush but ill leave it at 'f*ck son, that shit be bangin yo'

United States
    I fell asleep watching it the other day.

England
    Shame about the budget on this, because Carl Urban fucking nailed it for me, really enjoyed his Dredd, "the big meg" looked more like a work in progress than the fully formed MC1 from the comics (which I collected for 20 years), but Dredd eclipsed all faults for me, "old stony face" made flesh, and dealing with perps in that no-nonsense brutal way that Dredd fans know and love!.

Oh, will buy the blu-ray for 2 reasons: 1: to watch in true HD as opposed to a DL, and 2: to boost sales and hope for a 2nd movie with a bigger budget...I want to see a "Manta Prowl Tank" in the next one.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Legion - don't expect much in the way of extras on the Blu-Ray. It's all EPK type stuff. A whole list of featurettes, but annoyingly they're all 2-3 minutes each, and the rough-cut interview snippets are just raw EPK tape roll. Still a few snippets to see behind the scenes, but for extra features fans it's a let down.

The picture on the BR is good though - although it's weirdly inconsistent at times - some shots look very crisp and just what you'd expect from BR, while other shots are really grainy, sometimes with post production work done on them to make them a little lighter (oftentimes when it's not really necessary to do so). There was one shot where you could literally see the shape of the patch around Judge Anderson walking down a corridor - it was like a lighter orb amidst the rest of the frame. Weird.

So yeah, at times an inconsistent picture, but for the most part it looks rather snazzy (particularly during the Slo-Mo sequences).

And the music in this movie - very cool stuff indeed.

Yes - this is definitely a movie deserving of our support and hard-earned cash.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    My blu ray is waiting for me to get picked up at the post office. Can't wait to see it again.

I rewatched RoboCop the other night and thought two things:

"Man, Robocop is such a great film."

and

"Man, this film reminds me of Dredd, and that was such a great film".

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I enjoyed the film, but it could have used a bit of trimming with the slo-mo scenes. Not completely remove them or anything, just slim them down a bit.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I enjoyed the film, but it could have used a bit of trimming with the slo-mo scenes. Not completely remove them or anything, just slim them down a bit.
    I thought they used it quite a lot up front, but then it's barely used for a considerable chunk, and then they bring it back in a really cool way for the climax.

Personally I was all over the Slo-Mo sequences - loved them - so hypnotic, and a nice counterbalance to the general grit and grime of the flick.

Administrator

England
    I watched this last night.

Enjoyed it, and feel it would be nice to see a bigger bolder sequel!

Only bit that didn't quite work for me were the silly gatlin guns. Seemed a very pointless way to try and kill Dredd and how were they going to explain that sort of damage afterwards?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I watched this last night.

Enjoyed it, and feel it would be nice to see a bigger bolder sequel!

Only bit that didn't quite work for me were the silly gatlin guns. Seemed a very pointless way to try and kill Dredd and how were they going to explain that sort of damage afterwards?
    Glad you enjoyed it. I almost expect to see "oh dear" when you've seen a movie and post about it.

Regarding the mini guns and damage - they've got the block under total control, they don't need to explain jackshit to anyone. A blunt force tool - a hail of bullets - to try and bring down Dredd. He isn't going to come out into the open, so they've got to trap him in a vicinity, and then decimate that vicinity ... plus it makes Dredd look even more like a double-hard bastard after he survives all that flying lead.