Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x01 "Seed" episode discussion **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Hall sucks now! They can't seem to win a friggin game. They had a kid die on the field this year. Kids are too spoiled these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. But things are so different in the show that I can't see it working out anywhere near the same way.
    A couple possible theories though:

Beth alone dies at the hands of the deranged inmate, as i can't see that being Maggies fate.

Because:

Lori dies in the prison, and Glenn and Maggie take the baby because Rick and Carl take off after the final assault by the woodbury forces.

But really, it's very hard to say what will actually happen because of the differences between the comics and show.

For instance:

Is Michonne gonna hook up with Daryl, making Carol try to off herself? And does she try to get into a threesome with Rick and Lori

That doesn't seem likely. But who knows?

What about you? Any predictions?
    Some really interesting points, i think your first spoiler could be bang on actually, i think they will do that story tbh becuase its such a huge, shocking story that they would be silly to include the inmates and not go there.

I Was discussing this with MZ and i think the only point we made that you missed was that

One of the inmates has to be dexter and a similar struggle has to occur in the prison yard

Oh yeah, and

As there are 5 inmates instead of 4 as in the comic, we are hoping one of them is tyreese

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Oh yeah, and

As there are 5 inmates instead of 4 as in the comic, we are hoping one of them is tyreese
    He's not one of them...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He's not one of them...

Well that shoots that theory out the window!

Administrator

England
    Well, damn.

United States
    I've never been a comic guy so I havent read TWD comics. Reading through some of the spoilers and learning comic fates has me concerned. I have found myself particularly fond of this group. Well most of em anyway. So I am seeking the opinions of people on this board. We all know Kirkman is very proud of 'no one is safe'. Two characters I like the most are Rick and Daryl. Glen a close 3rd. Im concerned what people think their fates will be? I respect the character of Rick and well we have the same profession so I want him to survive. Can the show continue without him?

Daryl Dixon I understand wasnt in the comic so its a blank slate there. I ran into Reedus in Boston after the 3rd episode aired in 2010. Guy was as cool as can be. Took turns buying shots and talked Boondock and TWD. He actually told me spoilers without hesitation. I'm really pulling for his character to survive this. I had been hoping for a Boondock Saints 3 but not anymore if it would require his exit from TWD. I fear he may go down as a self sacrifice to save the group. Any thoughts/opinions I'd love to read.

United States
    I would doubt that they would kill off Rick but Damn I would be so pissed if they kill off Daryl. The big catch about the comics are is that really ANYBODY can go.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

United States
    I've gotta agree the "hibernating Walker" that chomped Herschel seemed rather hinky.
    It was like it popped awake and reacted WAY too quickly and in too coordinated a fashion. I mean the sequence goes: Walker's eyes open, head is lunging forwards almost as the eyes open, teeth sink into Herschel's lower leg.

By comparison, Rick got WAY more reaction-room with the tank-Walker. I wouldn't have minded if it rose up behind Herschel and got him from some angle, but the way the shot worked it seemed like the Walker didn't even need to see/hear/process what was happening. It's mouth was just a flesh-seeking missile. That's a fairly minor gripe on the whole however. I def. liked the season 3 premiere.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I've never been a comic guy so I havent read TWD comics. Reading through some of the spoilers and learning comic fates has me concerned. I have found myself particularly fond of this group. Well most of em anyway. So I am seeking the opinions of people on this board. We all know Kirkman is very proud of 'no one is safe'. Two characters I like the most are Rick and Daryl. Glen a close 3rd. Im concerned what people think their fates will be? I respect the character of Rick and well we have the same profession so I want him to survive. Can the show continue without him?

Daryl Dixon I understand wasnt in the comic so its a blank slate there. I ran into Reedus in Boston after the 3rd episode aired in 2010. Guy was as cool as can be. Took turns buying shots and talked Boondock and TWD. He actually told me spoilers without hesitation. I'm really pulling for his character to survive this. I had been hoping for a Boondock Saints 3 but not anymore if it would require his exit from TWD. I fear he may go down as a self sacrifice to save the group. Any thoughts/opinions I'd love to read.

Rick is probably the closest to a 'safe character' as the walking dead is pretty much ricks story.. in the comics at least, 100 issues in and rick is still one of the few remaining original characters. Of course, kirkman has said he'll die one day and story will shift to focus on carl but it hasnt happened yet.

In fact, i think the only remaining original characters at issue 100 are rick, carl and andrea.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I've gotta agree the "hibernating Walker" that chomped Herschel seemed rather hinky.
    It was like it popped awake and reacted WAY too quickly and in too coordinated a fashion. I mean the sequence goes: Walker's eyes open, head is lunging forwards almost as the eyes open, teeth sink into Herschel's lower leg.

By comparison, Rick got WAY more reaction-room with the tank-Walker. I wouldn't have minded if it rose up behind Herschel and got him from some angle, but the way the shot worked it seemed like the Walker didn't even need to see/hear/process what was happening. It's mouth was just a flesh-seeking missile. That's a fairly minor gripe on the whole however. I def. liked the season 3 premiere.
    I liked the way the tank walker reactivated, it was neat, all they had to do with Hersh was have him hover around for a few seconds with his back to that prison one and they could have played it much the same, because you have a good point, he did react rather quickly, he was less "hibernation" more "bear trap"

As always though, I'll forgive this show a lot of sins...they break new ground every eppisode. Still trying to get my head around the fact that I have a genuinely good zombie TV series to watch!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 18-Oct-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    As always though, I'll forgive this show a lot of sins...they break new ground every eppisode. Still trying to get my head around the fact that I have a genuinely good zombie TV series to watch!
    It's the treat that keeps on giving, is TWD. I think back to the heady days of season one - an innocent time, if you will - and it's positively quaint. Now we've got a fantastic leviathon on our hands and it's a real joy to see it grow in quality and popularity.

I'm sure that we here on HPOTD have far more time to be nitpicking over the motion of a single zombie in one scene of an entire episode, than those involved in making the entire episode. They've got a lot of things to be paying attention to, so they have less time - however I do think that the zombies are more consistent than they were in season one. I think they've learned as the show has continued how to train the zombie extras better - people who might not have seen any zombie movies themselves. If all the zombies were played by hardcore zedheads like ourselves, then I'm sure we'd be going the full DeNiro off our own backs - or you know what, we too might make a minor mistake in movement too.

As a mate of mine said, I don't care if it looks dead, I'd be stabbing corpses in the face left, right and centre just to be safe.

It's a minor transgression. A slight tweaking in future could solve it, but you're always going to have an element of rug-pulling when it comes to TV or film - it's like when someone sees an enemy coming and they hide, and a split-second later the bad guy enters facing exactly in the direction of the hero - so in real life the would have easily spotted them, but because they were out-of-frame, there's a short-cut, a sleight of hand, going on in that they 'saw nothing, guv, honest' (I was reminded of this when watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service last night).

Anyway - we're getting close to 3x02 now - who's pumped?!

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    One thing that does bother me slightly about the TV series (compared to the comics) is how small the group really is now.. they're not leaving alot of room for them to kill main characters while keeping the dynamic of the group realistic if you get what i mean.

I mean in the TV show, in the prison you have rick, lori, carl, carol, glenn, maggie, beth, daryl and herschel.

In the comics in the prison, you have rick, lori, carl, carol, sophia, andrea, dale, glenn, tyreese, julie, chris, michonne, herschel, otis, maggie, allen.. Correct me if ive missed anyone?

The group just seems far too small to realistically survive a zombie situation to me.
    Definitely an interesting point. But I did notice there was a 5th prisoner in that last shot. Maybe they'll have even more inmates elsewhere?

Ireland
    There's really no excuse for bad zombie choreography though, especially from a production that employed a "zombie school". In the end it's just bad writing, like the zombie super smell fiasco from series 1, which has been dropped like the stupid idea that it was.

These issues can be remedied on the spot during shooting. An easy alternative would have been to have Hershel trip over the dormant zed and then get said aed take a chomp while the old lad is down and dazed. That would be a better scene than having the corpse ninja it's gob onto his calf a far easier to believe.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    There's really no excuse for bad zombie choreography though, especially from a production that employed a "zombie school". In the end it's just bad writing, like the zombie super smell fiasco from series 1, which has been dropped like the stupid idea that it was.

These issues can be remedied on the spot during shooting. An easy alternative would have been to have Hershel trip over the dormant zed and then get said aed take a chomp while the old lad is down and dazed. That would be a better scene than having the corpse ninja it's gob onto his calf a far easier to believe.
    Methinks Mazzara & Co should hire we HPOTD'ers as zombie consultants ... sure, we'd probably spend most of our time nerding out over KNB, trying to be best mates with all the cast, pestering Gale Anne Hurd into letting us be zombie extras, and hitting on Lauren Cohan at every opportunity - but when the planets align and the 1% of the time we'd actually be of use comes to pass, it would be our time to shine, and shine oh-so-brightly we would, right guys?

Ireland
    "Shine" Def:

transitive verb
    a : to cause to emit light
    b : to throw or direct the light of

2. past & past part shined : to make bright by polishing <shined his shoes>

3. Irritate the crap out of people who have real jobs to do.

Oxford English Dictionary (2013 Edition)
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Didn't like the "I'm the pretending to be DEAD dead zombie who has kung-fu lightning reaction time when an old man's leg gets close to me". Reminds me of the zombie who suddenly jumps Roger in the original Dawn. The other annoying aspect is the razor sharp zombie bite. Goes through clothing with just one chomp lol. They could've done that scene better imo.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 20-Oct-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"