Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Wake - (original video game)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I do hope they release the DLC to disc - like they did with Episodes From Liberty City - as some of us don't have XBL or a 360 hard-drive.

Perhaps a third DLC would be coming along on a disc - so like Lost & Damned was DLC only for a bit, then Ballad of Gay Tony was announced for DLC and disc (with L&D) to launch at the same time. Maybe it'd be the same thing with Alan Wake - with three DLCs on one disc?

I certainly hope we get the DLC on disc at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

United States
    Well, as much as I was looking forward to this game, I FINALLY was able to pick up a copy. I've managed to play it for about an hour, and I have to say, the creepy atmosphere is totally kick-ass.

I knew I should've bought this before Red Dead Redemption.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well, as much as I was looking forward to this game, I FINALLY was able to pick up a copy. I've managed to play it for about an hour, and I have to say, the creepy atmosphere is totally kick-ass.

I knew I should've bought this before Red Dead Redemption.
    I actually got them both from gamefly on the same day. They are both kick ass and very different games. It's like apples and oranges really.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Both very different games. I bought both straight away, and fortunately for us Brits Alan Wake was released a full week ahead of RDR, so I was able to crack out Alan Wake prior to RDR showing up.

Wake has an amazing sense of atmosphere, and the town itself feels so fully realised - in fact I wanted a lot more talking with the townsfolk (and exploring the town in a relaxed manner) during daylight sections. I mean you DO get to have a good old play around the main town later in the game, but I really wanted to get a full look around during the daytime - I wanted more gameplay during the day ... indeed it would be good if some of your tasks were daytime events.

Even still, it's a quality title created with loving care and attention (despite the wanky jump mechanic which is busted, and sometimes terrible lip synch, and it occasionally getting a bit repetitive) and yeah - the atmosphere is just so well realised.

I've not seen Twin Peaks - yet - but just watching a couple of trailers for the show on YouTube I could totally see several key influences over look, characters and plot from that show - not in a rip-off way, but you can see the similarities ... as such I really wanna check out Twin Peaks at some point because of Alan Wake.

I got the Limited Edition of it as well - lovely stuff.

It's just a shame I don't have XBL or a HDD or any of the stuff I'd need in order to play the DLC content - so hopefully they'll see right by me and put it out on a disc like what was done with the GTA IV DLCs.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've not seen Twin Peaks - yet -

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would have been nice to be able to voluntarily go back and forth between the day and night portions (perhaps after the game is completed?) and do as you said.

It's kinda hard to fully appretiate everything that went into small detail when you have psychopathic entities hot on your ass !

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Well I'm enjoying the shit out of it, that's for sure. The atmosphere is SO creepy - I just love it! My son kinda gets the willies when he's walking through the woods and his flashlight starts going nuts.. then the wind and the fog come blowing in... *shudders*

It's just freakin' awesome!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well I'm enjoying the shit out of it, that's for sure. The atmosphere is SO creepy - I just love it! My son kinda gets the willies when he's walking through the woods and his flashlight starts going nuts.. then the wind and the fog come blowing in... *shudders*

And the thing is that there's nothing else like it out there.

No not even silent hill.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

That noise when the fog rolls in i thought was a plane engine, its actually a car crash, babies crying and kittens screaming all warped and blended together.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    That noise when the fog rolls in i thought was a plane engine, its actually a car crash, babies crying and kittens screaming all warped and blended together.
    Kittens screaming?! Wow, this game is more demented than I thought!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Kittens screaming?! Wow, this game is more demented than I thought!
    I don't know about you fellas but if some demon kitty comes creeping up on me this is how I'm handling it!

Cause' that's just how we do in da 7-1-8.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

United States
    @ hellsing.. awesome pic!

Get this - I just shot a txt msg. to my son and asked him "So, how's Alan Wake going?" he replied back with:

"Still trying to not pee myself"

Gotta love the shit kids say!

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah man, when the wind blows in and the tree branches rustle and the moonlight dapples everywhere and the weather turns a bit nasty, you know you're in for some shit.

Glad you and the kid are digging the game, Lou.

A great thing about Alan Wake is that the horror comes from the atmosphere and the writing and the general set-up of everything. It's not overtly scary - as in most things are "BOO! RARGH! SCARED YOU!" with shit jumping out all over the place in a distant, unreal universe/world/situation - oh no, in Alan Wake it's more a creeping sense of dread and foreboding and intimidation, it's far more psychological - and indeed MEMORABLE - as a result.

If only more horror movies would be like that these days!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    A great thing about Alan Wake is that the horror comes from the atmosphere and the writing and the general set-up of everything. It's not overtly scary - as in most things are "BOO! RARGH! SCARED YOU!" with shit jumping out all over the place in a distant, unreal universe/world/situation - oh no, in Alan Wake it's more a creeping sense of dread and foreboding and intimidation, it's far more psychological - and indeed MEMORABLE - as a result.

If only more horror movies would be like that these days!
    Isn't that the truth. If horror movies were more like this game, we'd have a lot less complaints about them.

Didn't get much time to play this weekend, but this week should see the completion of the game from what my son is telling me (he's already finished it, I'm slowly moving through it, but not far away from the end so he tells me).

Still loving this game.