Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: So I let my son watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I got the R2 2-disc edition (as recommended by DVDCompare - I'm always going there to check I'm getting the best version), which has different artwork, but it's the Infinifilm 'release' - just ported over to R2, you know.
    Good, 'cause that Infinifilm release is the best looking version of NOES that I've seen yet. Like the original Halloween (fuck you, RZ! ), I own almost every edition they've put out. I was very impressed with the Infinifilm version of NOES - especially the sound mix. Not sure how the stereo mix sounds (wasn't the film in mono originally? Dj? help a brother out here.. lol) but the DTS track is sweeeeet.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Good, 'cause that Infinifilm release is the best looking version of NOES that I've seen yet. Like the original Halloween (fuck you, RZ! ), I own almost every edition they've put out. I was very impressed with the Infinifilm version of NOES - especially the sound mix. Not sure how the stereo mix sounds (wasn't the film in mono originally? Dj? help a brother out here.. lol) but the DTS track is sweeeeet.
    Infinifilm:
    English DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
    English Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono (original soundtrack)
    R2 S.E. (Entertainment In Video):
    English DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
    English Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono (original soundtrack)
    So just the same.

I had heard that the new releases of ANOES have some audio drop outs (missing sound effects/stings) at about four different points in the movie - but I assume this only affects the new mixes.

I'll be sticking to the original Mono. I don't like when a movie gets a clean up and the sound effects are all different - case in point The Terminator. The R2 version is missing the original Mono track with the proper sound effects, which I had no idea about when I originally bought it ... experiences like that led me to discover DVDCompare.net ... but yeah, the EIV 2-discer is a port of the Infinifilm 2-discer.

England
    I tell you what did affect me when I first saw it and is still hard hitting now, the scene early on in Robocop when the gang murder officer murphy, I was horrified by it as a kid & its still hardcore by todays standards!

Last edited by Tricky; 16-May-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I tell you what did affect me when I first saw it and is still hard hitting now, the scene early on in Robocop when the gang murder officer murphy, I was horrified by it as a kid & its still hardcore by todays standards!

Damn skippy that's still hardcore. It's so brutal!

Originally I'd only seen the cut version that had been on TV, then I saw the uncut (or at least relatively uncut - a UK video version, rather than TV version) Robocop and it blew my fucking mind - like when that dude gets nuclear waste dumped on him and he just staggers around for ages and it's totally fucking gross.

But yeah, that scene was shocking enough in the TV version - when I saw it on video I, to coin a hellsing phrase (if memory serves), royally flipped my shit. Seeing it again in that clip and it looks as if possibly the video version I saw wasn't even the complete uncut version still at that time.

One of these days I'm gonna get the R1 20th anniversary edition of the DVD and have a total nostalgia festival.

Ireland
    Clarence...

One of the best baddies in any film, ever.

What a wanker.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can no longer watch that film without picturing him saying "dumbass!". Thanks, That 70's Show. You ruined Robocop for me.

United States
    I had heard that the new releases of ANOES have some audio drop outs (missing sound effects/stings) at about four different points in the movie - but I assume this only affects the new mixes.
    I dunno MZ, if that's the case, I never noticed them even on the new mixes, and believe me, I've seen the original enough times that I would think I'd notice them being missing. I could be wrong, but I would've thought I'd notice something like missing stingers/effects. Then again, I never watched it with the intention of listening closely enough to try and catch them either, so..... damn, perhaps it's time for another viewing.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can no longer watch that film without picturing him saying "dumbass!". Thanks, That 70's Show. You ruined Robocop for me.
    Are you sure he doesn't say "dumbass" in Robocop?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post

Now let's see the soft, kid-friendly version of his death from the Robocop cartoon show (0:00 to 0:20). Notice the crooks that shoot him still look identical to Boddiker and his crew, even in this version:

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WTF? I had no idea there was a Robocop cartoon. It's pretty funny when you think about it. It probably came on between the Reservoir Dogs and Full Metal Jacket cartoons on Sunday mornings.

Administrator

England
    For any horror film, the context/atmosphere you watch it in plays a huge part.

Had he watched it, by himself (without his dad sitting there next to him), in an empty house, do you think it might have had a greater effect?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It probably came on between the Reservoir Dogs and Full Metal Jacket cartoons on Sunday mornings.
    Nah, it was on after TROMA'S TOXIC AVENGER (I mean, uh, "crusader") CARTOON!!!

Super Moderator

UK
    I believe one of the sound effects missing (from the new soundtracks I'd imagine) - if memory serves, read it online somewhere - is when Tina rips Freddy's face off. The sound of the face coming off is missing ... or a music sting ... ... Google it, there'll be info around somewhere.

Also - wtf - there was a Robocop kids cartoon?! I had no idea! I used to watch the live action TV show that would play in the UK on the weekends around mid-afternoon/lunchtime ... memories.

I do recall watching Toxic Crusaders though when I was younger - who could forget that jingle? TOXIC Cruuuuuu-say-ders!

I think I saw the original movie on late night Channel 4 perhaps, or Bravo, or maybe on a download ... but they were all cut, obviously. Finally saw the uncut version on DVD a few years back - speaking of which, I must give it another watch. Some of the shit that goes down in that flick makes you wonder, 'how did they go from that to a kid's show?!'

Scotland

I do recall watching Toxic Crusaders though when I was younger - who could forget that jingle? TOXIC Cruuuuuu-say-ders!

I think I saw the original movie on late night Channel 4 perhaps, or Bravo, or maybe on a download ... but they were all cut, obviously. Finally saw the uncut version on DVD a few years back - speaking of which, I must give it another watch. Some of the shit that goes down in that flick makes you wonder, 'how did they go from that to a kid's show?!'
    Three words: "turtles", "cash", "in".

Twitching

United States
    Can tell you what went wrong with the NOES-viewing Lou,
    13yrs old is pretty much the outside limit of major Monsters-In-The-Dark type fears for kids, with 11-12 being the more median limit. NOES caught you right before you exited that developmental phase, but your kid has already passed that phase, so...nothing.

Now, if scaring him is the goal, and you're not quibbling about overall quality of movies. Show him The Strangers. Play up before you put it in "That this actually happened to these poor people."

If that doesn't do it, your kid is as desensitized as I am. The last thing to draw a twitch out of me is that once in a great while I'll fear some amorphous, intangible yet malevolent entity, possibly with demonic connotations, when I'm restless but dozing at 3am.

Come to think of it, maybe you need more nihlistic horror to screw with a 14yr-old. What about Clive Barker's stuff? Hmm, dunno.