Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "The Road Is the Most Important Movie of the Year"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I just saw it tonight. I got there a few minutes late while Viggo was talking so I dunno what caused it all but I definitely liked the movie.
    But go out hunting other survivors? That's when it get horrible. There were obviously bands of survivors who lived on finding/hunting/eating other survivors.

Leads to two obvious questions though:-
    1) A meat only diet = problems
    2) They must realise that the supply will disappear very quickly

When the other survivor (who went for a pee) was being held at gun point, and he was clearly looking at the boy with some interest. Do you think maybe younger flesh tastes nicer than older flesh?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But go out hunting other survivors? That's when it get horrible. There were obviously bands of survivors who lived on finding/hunting/eating other survivors.

When the other survivor (who went for a pee) was being held at gun point, and he was clearly looking at the boy with some interest. Do you think maybe younger flesh tastes nicer than older flesh?
    The Dad knew he was dying, he was coughing worse than I do when I wake, and bake, up in the morning. He had no choice but to hope to find someone to care for his son after he was gone. Otherwise, I don't think he would've given two shits to find anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    ...but i don't think i'd murder someone just to eat them.
    Just wait until you look at whoever you're left alive with after enough time starving. It'll be just like in the cartoons, a giant T-bone steak with legs...
    And you're sitting there slobbering with a knife and fork in your hands and a nice lil napkin tucked into your shirt.
    Mmmm mmmm.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    The Dad knew he was dying, he was coughing worse than I do when I wake, and bake, up in the morning. He had no choice but to hope to find someone to care for his son after he was gone. Otherwise, I don't think he would've given two shits to find anyone else.
    Ummm... Good point, but did you answer the wrong comment? ie: You comment seems to make no sense given the text of mine you quotes? I was talking about canabalism...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Might be spoiler?
    ......Well not to get to morbid, young deer is more tender than adult, I guess similar to veil. So it could be that the young child would interest them more than the adult, or it was a gross sex thing. either way it is horrible. I was waiting for the squeal like a pig for me line.

United States
    Ummm... Good point, but did you answer the wrong comment? ie: You comment seems to make no sense given the text of mine you quotes? I was talking about canabalism...
    Yeah, I misread it. I thought you were talking about the father looking for other survivors. I get you now...

United States
    according to amazon.com, the dvd will be released may 25th for those of you who missed this one in theaters...

Administrator

England
    For those that have read then book, the last paragraph baffled me... Anyone care to explain it?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    For those that have read then book, the last paragraph baffled me... Anyone care to explain it?
    I wasn't quite sure what that last paragraph was about either. Perhaps Wiki, or Google have the answer though? I vaguely remember Wiki'ing it for answers.

United States
    *BIG HUGE BUMP*

I just now finally saw this movie. The DVD came in at the library, so I checked it out.

It was okay. I just don't see what all the worship was about. Nothing special.

I do need some assistance, though. For some silly reason, he audio was utterly horrible. All speech was fainter than a whisper, even with the tv turned up full blast. Of course, sound effects caused the house to tremble.

But since I could only hear about one out of every 10 words spoken, can someone here tell me what the point of their journey was? As in, why are they strolling down the road in the first place?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    But since I could only hear about one out of every 10 words spoken, can someone here tell me what the point of their journey was? As in, why are they strolling down the road in the first place?
    The way I understood it is that the dad was dying (and knew he was dying) and he wanted to get the son to somewhere where he wouldn't freeze to death when winter came. My guess is that the "event" that caused everything in society to fall apart was an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) wiping out all electricity.

(that or Obama was elected to a second term. ).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Ah. So there was no real destination, just a fear that the kid would croak if they stayed put. Alright.

I wondered about that, because amongst all the whispering, I thought I heard "all the animals died" and "all the plants are dead" and "everything is dead" and "we're all going to be dead". Made me wonder "okay, so where the hell do you think you're going? It's the same wasteland everywhere".

England
    There is no reason given for the "end" in the road.

The guy who wrote it has said that scientists (who have watched the movie) say it looks like their idea of what the place would look like after a super volcano going off or a meteor strike.

I need to order this on Blu and watch it. "The book of Eli" also looks like a nice slice of PA goodness.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I wondered about that, because amongst all the whispering, I thought I heard "all the animals died" and "all the plants are dead" and "everything is dead" and "we're all going to be dead". Made me wonder "okay, so where the hell do you think you're going? It's the same wasteland everywhere".
    They were looking for Dryland.

(too obscure?)
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    They were looking for Dryland.

(too obscure?)
    Not for me...oh fuck! Smokers!!!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    At least ol' Viggo didn't have gills. I can count that as a huge positive.