Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: eating the livestock

United States
    I sure do hate to re-open this topic, but I was watching Land and something caught my attention.

In the scene in the bar where Slack is thrown into the zombie fight pit.

Charlie - "Stenches don't fight."
    Roach - "They do when there's food."
    Charlie - "What's on the menu? Cat or Dog?"

This seems pretty darned conclusive that zombies would eat an animal. Even with dozens of people standing visible (but out of reach) on the other side of a chain link fence they'd still eat a cat or dog.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I sure do hate to re-open this topic, but I was watching Land and something caught my attention.

In the scene in the bar where Slack is thrown into the zombie fight pit.

Charlie - "Stenches don't fight."

This seems pretty darned conclusive that zombies would eat an animal. Even with dozens of people standing visible (but out of reach) on the other side of a chain link fence they'd still eat a cat or dog.
    Ghaaahhhh....y'know what....you're right. I'd forgotten all about that one. Sadly, you're right....

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't know, this sort of stuff is fun to talk about, but not as fun as used to be, because I don't think Romero cares about, or has ever been so solid about the minutia of his own rule set. Meaning--and I don't blame him for this at all--if it came to a good angle for a story, I think he'd go in the direction that made narrative sense.

Anyway, the dog, cat comment was a good catch.

And off topic, my favorite random quote from this whole thread is, by far:

Don't be ridiculous. People move cows every day. It doesn't require a college degree. Or even a high school diploma.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    It doesn't mean the zombies eat cats and dogs. I figured it as meaning that the cat or dog got the zombies worked up and excited (probably due to movement).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    It doesn't mean the zombies eat cats and dogs. I figured it as meaning that the cat or dog got the zombies worked up and excited (probably due to movement).
    I REALLY hate to say it, but this particular part of the quote seems to suggest otherwise:

Honestly, despite what I wish, or the fact it really breaks my heart, from the rumblings we've heard from "...of the Dead", plus other little crumbs scattered like this one have given me the uneasy feeling that this something that GAR has been hellbent on working in somewhere for a while now (why? Beats the hell outta me...)

United States
    Hey, just for the record, it breaks my heart too. And I agree with Aces, I don't think GAR takes his own rules that seriously. We are nitpicking something he gave 1/100th the thought to that we are.

And I maintain that even in a zombie apocalypse people would NOT forget how to move cows!!

United States
    And I maintain that even in a zombie apocalypse people would NOT forget how to move cows!!
    So? Not everyone can move cows right now. Grab some dude from L.A. and tell him to grab a cow and get it from point A to point B. Enjoy the show as he can't even figure out where to begin.

United States
    Yes, people who currently do not know how to move cows would still not know how to move cows.

And if ALL the people who currently know how to move cows died in the first night of the outbreak it would probably take upwards of several days for Man to reacquire that knowledge.

My zombie checklist for the repopulation of Man:

Shelter. Check.
    Filtered water. Check.
    Electricity. Check.
    Medicine. Check.
    Get the cows moving... oh, hell, how do we do that??

ROFL

United States
    Walk out across 100 miles of dead-infested wasteland to go rustle some cattle...real simple.

From Second One of a worldwide dead outbreak, everyone's stuck cowering in whatever shelter they're currently in. The idea of still being able to communicate with others or even poke your head out the door is utter fantasy.

Why do people try to make everything sound so easy? Wake up. We can't even get off our fucking roofs and onto dry land two weeks after a hurricane. Yet, we're going to be able to do everything normally when a billion ghouls roam the streets. Yeah, right.

United States
    Hey, just for the record, it breaks my heart too. And I agree with Aces, I don't think GAR takes his own rules that seriously. We are nitpicking something he gave 1/100th the thought to that we are.
    Yep, I'll agree w/ both on that, as much as I wish otherwise. To me, if I were GAR I'd do the exact OPPOSITE & show a scenario where the zeds had the chance to take an animal as food & SPECIFICALLY passed it by to pursue/attack a human. To me, the implications of that are disturbing as hell.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes, people who currently do not know how to move cows would still not know how to move cows.

And if ALL the people who currently know how to move cows died in the first night of the outbreak it would probably take upwards of several days for Man to reacquire that knowledge.

My zombie checklist for the repopulation of Man:

Shelter. Check.
    Filtered water. Check.
    Electricity. Check.
    Medicine. Check.
    Get the cows moving... oh, hell, how do we do that??

ROFL

You're forgetting the most important part of repopulation.

A MAN AND A WOMAN!! j/k

I guess that's one thing Zack Snyder has over GAR. (and there aren't many)

CLARITY IN HIS RULES.

He made it very clear in DAWN 04'. Zombies DON'T eat animals, they're only interested in humans. It's been 41 years for GAR and we're still not clear on this one.

Further more, he also makes it clear that only bites bring you back. Now, like it or not atleast he didn't leave it ambiguous for 37 years before he finally decided to set the record straight in land.

Disagree? Why is it then that he felt compared to say that anyone who dies will come back , but if you die you come back that much sooner in the opening credits of land for Christ's sake. And then, for the benefit of anyone on a bathroom break or getting popcorn he includes the Fiddler's Green hanging scene.

It was mentioned in night that the bodies of the recently dead are returning to life and committing acts of murder along the eastern 3rd of the U.S. But the radio reports were muddled and one could easily miss that vital info. If some one missed that or only saw Dawn and DAy they would be under the impression that you have to be bitten in order to turn as well.

One things for sure and has already been mentioned. GAR couldn't give two shits about rules, continuity or the details of the film either pre or post production.

Don't believe me? Just pop in the disc from the ultimate collection where GAr. Chris and Savini do the commentery. It's actually sad. I don't think GAR even remembers if he was married to chris at the time.

Last edited by darth los; 22-Apr-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Walk out across 100 miles of dead-infested wasteland to go rustle some cattle...real simple.

From Second One of a worldwide dead outbreak, everyone's stuck cowering in whatever shelter they're currently in. The idea of still being able to communicate with others or even poke your head out the door is utter fantasy.

Why do people try to make everything sound so easy? Wake up. We can't even get off our fucking roofs and onto dry land two weeks after a hurricane. Yet, we're going to be able to do everything normally when a billion ghouls roam the streets. Yeah, right.
    You obviously have never used a ham radio. Communication is cheap and easy and extends any distance you like.

And you've obviously never driven from Kansas City to Denver. Do that one time and you'll realize that all the billions of zombies in New York and LA won't make a rat's ass difference to the farmer living in the middle of Kansas. He's protected by a 200 mile radius of NOTHING.

@darth_los - Yep, Zach got the rules out there. I wondered if he did that on purpose or just got lucky. So much of his plot seemed to have little or no thought.

Oh, and what's this "woman" thing you're talking about? I've heard of those on other forums, too. Never really knew what they meant.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    @darth_los - Yep, Zach got the rules out there. I wondered if he did that on purpose or just got lucky. So much of his plot seemed to have little or no thought.

Oh, and what's this "woman" thing you're talking about? I've heard of those on other forums, too. Never really knew what they meant.

lol

I'm a fan of Dawn 04', but with that said there are things about the film that I can't stand. People talk alot about the zombie baby and truthfully that didn't bother me. However, something far more idiotic did. That chick going after the dog takes the cake. The only thing worse is the idiots that decided to go after her. That REEEEEEAAALLY pissed me off. I mean who in their right mind is gonna do that. But it wasn't in vain. That scenario provided one of the great lines from the movie when steve says, "why do I have to go on a suicide mission to rescue his already dead girfriend !?!" Great stuff.

Now, with that said, when you're going to bash a movies faults you have to give credit where credit is due when things are done right and him leaving no ambiguity in his "rules" is one of them. Whether it was on purpose or not who's to say. But the evidence is that it was.

He devoted 2 scenes, one with the father and daughter in the mall where the father got bit and they're debating whether or not to shoot him before he turns and hurts someone. The case was made then that it was believed that only bites bring you back. This theory is tested later in the film in the scene where Andre and the old lady blow each other away and the you security gaurd is readying his pistol when Anna stops him and says don't bother, she's not coming back because she wasn't bitten.

Then we have two scenes that clearly show that the ghouls aren't interested in animals, only humans. The first is when the power goes out and they have to go through the garage iin order to restore it. They find chips the dog down there in a ghoul infested area virtually unmolested. To drive it home even harder the send the dog across the parking lot to try and get some food to Andy and thousands of ghouls just ignore it. It doesn't get any clearer than that folks.

GAR himself is on record saying that yes he wanted a clear message of us being slaves to material things in Dawn but the final product delivered it much more potently than he had planned but he was fine with it.

In any case it's common knowledge the some of the most ingenious things ever thought of by the human brain happened by accident/unintentionally. Either way GAR is a genious and few can match him at what he does.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That chick going after the dog takes the cake. The only thing worse is the idiots that decided to go after her. That REEEEEEAAALLY pissed me off. I mean who in their right mind is gonna do that.
    The only thing I hated worse than the fact that they stupidly went after the girl was that they actually rescued her. By all rights they should've died twice over. I have no idea what possessed them to think they could succeed without losing more life than they saved. Or what made them think the stupid girl was even still alive at all?? Just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    ...But the evidence is that it was...

...where Andre and the old lady blow each other away and the you security gaurd is readying his pistol when Anna stops him and says don't bother, she's not coming back because she wasn't bitten.
    I really don't disagree with anything you've said, but I do question how intentional the rules were, or at least how much thought Snyder gave to how he evidenced the rules in the movie. Anna really had no way of knowing that someone who died unbitten would stay down. Unlike the very conclusive test they did with Max Headroom (sorry, cannot think of him any other way) regarding a bitten person coming back they just had no idea that an unbitten corpse would stay down.

Undisclosed
    sorry but had to drag this thread back as GAR has been kind enough to finally answer this question once and for all in Survival, no spoilers from me but the man has spoken...