Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x05 "Internment" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Apparently they wanted to dig a moat around the prison set - but they had too many potential problems with quicksand and such like around there.

Now, if you had plenty of access to copious amounts of earth, you could shore up the inner fence with a big hill, swooping around the fence line ... of course, that'd take ruddy ages to do, especially with no machinery, and you'd need to have the earth somewhat compressed to withstand the force of a shedload of walkers.

On The Talking Dead they spoke about using triangular supports between the two fences to better shore them up, but I imagine nobody in Team Prison has an engineering degree (it certainly wouldn't have occurred to me).
    Sure you shouldnt have comic spoilers around some of that?

Dead

United States
    On The Talking Dead they spoke about using triangular supports between the two fences to better shore them up, but I imagine nobody in Team Prison has an engineering degree (it certainly wouldn't have occurred to me).
    That's something I have been thinking for weeks. I didn't watch TD this week. I wasn't able to watch this weeks episode the night it aired and I don't bother to DVR TD.
    I like to think about those aspects though, things like that are of major interest to me. Which is why it bothers me that they don't bother with those details. I was thinking though that it would take up too much space between the 2 fences and not allow them to move freely enough between them. Because the triangular supports would have to have enough depth to provide the strength needed. So you'd have to bury the bottom supports and make the top ones high enough for people to walk under. Which would be totally do-able and not that risky. You could build them in place, while others tend to the walkers through the fence.

You don't need an engineering degree to come up with that. Just a brainstorming session among the group.

The time to do it would've been when there weren't so many walkers though.

And the fence could still be breached. The Gov is lurking. He could take out a large part of the fence with an explosion of any kind, instead of just lurking.
    Last edited by babomb; 14-Nov-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    I wonder where the gov's been hiding out.

He can't have been just arsing about the woods all this time surely.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I wonder where the gov's been hiding out.

He can't have been just arsing about the woods all this time surely.
    The "in next weeks episode" clips gave a few clues, but I suspect like any survivor in TWD universe, he found a bolt hole, foraged for supplies and maybe had to move on once or twice if his area got a bit "busy".

Mores the question, what happened to his goons? Didn't he have two of his enforcers left when we last saw him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    And the fence could still be breached. The Gov is lurking. He could take out a large part of the fence with an explosion of any kind, instead of just lurking.
    Explosives may be hard to come by, the guy has been on the move remember (or certainly not cosied up in his little town with plenty of supplies and kit).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

Mores the question, what happened to his goons? Didn't he have two of his enforcers left when we last saw him?
    Maybe he ate them...

United States
    That's something I have been thinking for weeks. I didn't watch TD this week. I wasn't able to watch this weeks episode the night it aired and I don't bother to DVR TD.
    I like to think about those aspects though, things like that are of major interest to me. Which is why it bothers me that they don't bother with those details. I was thinking though that it would take up too much space between the 2 fences and not allow them to move freely enough between them. Because the triangular supports would have to have enough depth to provide the strength needed. So you'd have to bury the bottom supports and make the top ones high enough for people to walk under. Which would be totally do-able and not that risky. You could build them in place, while others tend to the walkers through the fence.

You don't need an engineering degree to come up with that. Just a brainstorming session among the group.

The time to do it would've been when there weren't so many walkers though.

I actually posted on this elsewhere more than a week ago and thought it cool when they mentioned the subject on Talking Dead. I think the guy from Mythbusters might be off a bit with his triangular supports being "best" as doing so would make it difficult for the living to move lengthwise between the fences. What I suggested in my post was that the supports run straight back from the tops of the outer fence posts to the tops of the inner fence posts. In effect, it should double the resistance of the out posts I'd think without getting in the way of those moving between the fences.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 15-Nov-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: edit
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Twitching

United States
    I'm standing pat on the "Piling junk against the inside of the fence" plan. Prior to the flu outbreak they could simply have had the then-current Cold Crews re-tasked to move the junk into place. Given their experiences with the overnight surges in Walker #'s at the fence for at least a month, even a dimwit could figure out that the Cold Crews were an inefficient stopgap measure at BEST. There's simply no good in-story reason they couldn't come up with something better than low-angled wooden struts as reinforcement for the fence, AND no good out-of-story logistics issue preventing a more intelligent use of readily available resources to reinforce the fence.

As for the Walker-feeder and the Governor, who needs explosives to breach the fence? A simple pair of wirecutters or a hand-held acetylene torch would make short work of the fence. Which, again, assumes the Governer doesn't simply stroll up to one of their wired-shut breaches in the fence and prop it wide open. I don't think a credible argument can be made that the fence STILL could've come down to serve the story they wanted to tell, WITHOUT sacrificing realism by simple doing a LITTLE more set-work. They already had to get and move around piles of freshly cut logs, so an equivalent effort could've easily implemented smarter reinforcement of the fence that wouldn't take an engineering degree. The big threat they were dealing with fence-wise prior to it actually coming down was the inward, top-down bulge in the fence as the Walkers continued to relentlessly press forward. Putting some substantial objects up against the fence that would indefinitely do the job Rick was momentarily doing by physically pushing against the fence from the inside seems like it would've been the most common sense thing in the world.

An argument against fence-reinforcement that's been made is that once everyone was sick they just didnt have the manpower and ran out of time. To retort: Rick was making the time to chop logs for fence-supports, a job he agreed he couldn't do alone when Maggie said as much. Junk-piling doesn't require the time-expenditure to chop the logs to size, or for that matter doesn't require moving the raw logs to where he was chopping them, before moving them AGAIN into position at the fence. Junk piling would actually have been far less time and exertion-intensive than the ill-fated "log plan"...since doing it the way they chose to actually runs counter-intuitively.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary.

Ireland
    They're in his new fish tank.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Sure you shouldnt have comic spoilers around some of that?
    Notice that I wasn't specifically referencing anything and was talking exclusively about the TV show prison.

Shhhhh....

The "in next weeks episode" clips gave a few clues, but I suspect like any survivor in TWD universe, he found a bolt hole, foraged for supplies and maybe had to move on once or twice if his area got a bit "busy".

Talking Dead Preview Scene of 4x06/AMC's 4x06 YouTube Clip:

It showed TG sat by a fire with the truck they drove off in in the background, and between him and it were three tents. In the slightly longer version of that scene that AMC put up on their YoUTube page we see Martinez turn up and shoot a walker ... no sign of Shumpert yet, but the three tents does suggest they're both okay ... admittedly that scene does take place the night of the failed attack on the prison in 3x16 (so it seems) ... unless The Governor got rid of Shumpert so he could use the third tent as a walk-in cupboard to select tomorrow's attire for the psychotic gentlemen.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 15-Nov-2013 at 09:48 AM.

England
    Notice that I wasn't specifically referencing anything and was talking exclusively about the TV show prison.

Shhhhh....

Talking Dead Preview Scene of 4x06/AMC's 4x06 YouTube Clip:

It showed TG sat by a fire with the truck they drove off in in the background, and between him and it were three tents. In the slightly longer version of that scene that AMC put up on their YoUTube page we see Martinez turn up and shoot a walker ... no sign of Shumpert yet, but the three tents does suggest they're both okay ... admittedly that scene does take place the night of the failed attack on the prison in 3x16 (so it seems) ... unless The Governor got rid of Shumpert so he could use the third tent as a walk-in cupboard to select tomorrow's attire for the psychotic gentlemen.

Hmm, I was considering that he might have "Otis-ed" them at some point...Shane style!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    They're in his new fish tank.
    Some hobbies die hard!

Oh, and I shit you guys not...guy in Asda today, WITH A FUCKING EYE PATCH!!! I almost screamed "OMFG, it's the governor" in a damp-panted fangirl kind of way...but then considered the guy may not appreciate my comments as he may have genuinely lost and eye recently...but still, fuck yeah!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 15-Nov-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Dead

United States

- - - Updated - - -

Explosives may be hard to come by, the guy has been on the move remember (or certainly not cosied up in his little town with plenty of supplies and kit).
    He's been foraging to stay alive. Some shotgun shells and a length of pipe could be used to create a crude explosive device. Not to mention some simple substances that can be had from a drug store, that looters would never bother to take, can be combined to make basic black powder.
    He's a resourceful guy, having a leftover grenade from that massive arsenal requires no real suspension of disbelief.

It doesn't even need to be an explosive. Maybe some bolt cutters and live bait(like rats) could create the needed breach.

United States
    He's been foraging to stay alive. Some shotgun shells and a length of pipe could be used to create a crude explosive device. Not to mention some simple substances that can be had from a drug store, that looters would never bother to take, can be combined to make basic black powder.
    He's a resourceful guy, having a leftover grenade from that massive arsenal requires no real suspension of disbelief.

It doesn't even need to be an explosive. Maybe some bolt cutters and live bait(like rats) could create the needed breach.
    I can defiantly see that. He could even pick off the survivors one by one if he wanted too; kind like poor Axel. Combined with live bait, cutting the fences, polluting water supplies, ect; he could do some real damage and cause them to live in further fear.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Just a wild thought here.....what if the Governor shows up at the prison gate, hands in the air, asking to become one of their group?

You know, the complete opposite of what we're all expecting.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Just a wild thought here.....what if the Governor shows up at the prison gate, hands in the air, asking to become one of their group?

You know, the complete opposite of what we're all expecting.
    I expect he'd be shot...but (in TVLand) the Governor would expect that as well and would probably have something juicy to say that would make some people (again, this being TVLand) inevitably think twice.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I expect he'd be shot...but (in TVLand) the Governor would expect that as well and would probably have something juicy to say that would make some people (again, this being TVLand) inevitably think twice.
    If anything, I'd expect them to toss him in a cell (it IS a jail, after all) while they figure out what to do with him. While this goes on, BANG!, new threat from some other unexpected source.

Again, I'm just thinking out of the box. It seems unlikely that the Governor could have another armed mob as his disposal.