Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x01 "30 Days Without an Accident" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I guess I'm the weird one for expecting some realism and depth in the characters of the show!?
    You're likely correct that each character should exhibit some level of PTSD given what they've been through since the outbreak, but I would think it might be similar to the mental state of active troops still under fire in a war theater rather than any complications experienced in the aftermath. There's still hordes of zombies outside the fence, the governor still stalking them looking for revenge and life inside the prison issues occupying their immediate attention. Augment that mindset with a daily desensitization of zombie head shootings/stabbings and I think they might exhibit the detached personalities you're noticing. Besides, it'd really slow down the action if we tuned in each week only to see our heroes in a group crying huddle.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    I swear, some of you just watch this show just to find things to pick on lol go watch CSI or something of the sorts.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well said Publius - I'm with you on this.

Plus, it'd be daft to have everyone feeling exactly the same and just moping around like misery guts for sixteen episodes. You've got to have different people behaving differently at different times - it's more realistic, and it's more interesting. There is no one-size-fits-all reaction to trauma. They've also got to maintain some of what they had before, and some of who they were before, otherwise what's the point in fighting? Meanwhile, others might abandon the old world so they can - with no law enforcement left - indulge every sick whim they desire ... and then others like The Governor can't/don't/won't fight hard enough to maintain old world sanity and thus allow themselves to stumble down a very slippery slope indeed until they're hideous reflections of their former selves.

Also, as a viewer, I don't want to watch people being miserable non-stop. Even in extremely tough times people find moments to smile or laugh or indulge themselves or find solace in other people.
    I would find misery all around boring also. I'm not advocating that the characters be shown moping around.
    I'm just saying they should be consistent with the situation and with their already established circumstances. I think the writers tried too hard to convey the point that things had gotten a bit better.
    Put yourself into their shoes rather than consider the entire series up to this point from the viewers perspective. Knowing that anyone could die at anytime, wouldn't you take a more casual approach to a relationship to save yourself the grief if/when your chosen partner gets bit or devoured or killed by a rival group? That's a survival mentality, which is absolutely necessary in such a situation.
    Think of how hard it was for these characters to make it this far, how many other people they saw die, how many other people they cared about and felt the extreme pain of losing. They watched Rick lose his shit over Lori.
    People fight to survive. It really is that simple. Survival is hardwired in some peoples DNA. Others, not so much. People who require these complex philosophical reasons to fight, like holding on to what they had/were before, or people that are too emotionally invested in other people, these are people that are less likely to survive anyway. Because once you start thinking about things that deeply, the only logical conclusion is that none of that even matters because you're already doomed. You sew the seeds of doubt in your mind which makes you more susceptible to just giving up.
    The scene with creepy Clara illustrates this. She couldn't be without Eddie, she couldn't do the things you had to do to survive. So she took her own life because she wanted to be with her husband. That's the very real possibility and consequence of being too emotionally invested in another person in that situation. And like it or not, every member of the prison group is 2 steps away from being in that same situation. Rick admitted that to Herschel.

You strive for simple short term goals in those extreme situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    You're likely correct that each character should exhibit some level of PTSD given what they've been through since the outbreak, but I would think it might be similar to the mental state of active troops still under fire in a war theater rather than any complications experienced in the aftermath. There's still hordes of zombies outside the fence, the governor still stalking them looking for revenge and life inside the prison issues occupying their immediate attention. Augment that mindset with a daily desensitization of zombie head shootings/stabbings and I think they might exhibit the detached personalities you're noticing. Besides, it'd really slow down the action if we tuned in each week only to see our heroes in a group crying huddle.
    Yes. This is what I'm talking about. Except I don't think that reality would be the group in a crying huddle.
    I think they would pair up, but in a casual playful way. While being very reserved and wary of becoming dependent or attached to anyone. So there'd be drama such as people hooking up with multiple people, and jealousy. And people having flirtatious fun with each other while at the fence killing zombies. Not everyone developing these intense serious relationships.

United States
    I would find misery all around boring also. I'm not advocating that the characters be shown moping around.
    I'm just saying they should be consistent with the situation and with their already established circumstances. I think the writers tried too hard to convey the point that things had gotten a bit better.
    Put yourself into their shoes rather than consider the entire series up to this point from the viewers perspective. Knowing that anyone could die at anytime, wouldn't you take a more casual approach to a relationship to save yourself the grief if/when your chosen partner gets bit or devoured or killed by a rival group? That's a survival mentality, which is absolutely necessary in such a situation.
    Think of how hard it was for these characters to make it this far, how many other people they saw die, how many other people they cared about and felt the extreme pain of losing. They watched Rick lose his shit over Lori.
    People fight to survive. It really is that simple. Survival is hardwired in some peoples DNA. Others, not so much. People who require these complex philosophical reasons to fight, like holding on to what they had/were before, or people that are too emotionally invested in other people, these are people that are less likely to survive anyway. Because once you start thinking about things that deeply, the only logical conclusion is that none of that even matters because you're already doomed. You sew the seeds of doubt in your mind which makes you more susceptible to just giving up.
    The scene with creepy Clara illustrates this. She couldn't be without Eddie, she couldn't do the things you had to do to survive. So she took her own life because she wanted to be with her husband. That's the very real possibility and consequence of being too emotionally invested in another person in that situation. And like it or not, every member of the prison group is 2 steps away from being in that same situation. Rick admitted that to Herschel.

You strive for simple short term goals in those extreme situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. This is what I'm talking about. Except I don't think that reality would be the group in a crying huddle.
    I think they would pair up, but in a casual playful way. While being very reserved and wary of becoming dependent or attached to anyone. So there'd be drama such as people hooking up with multiple people, and jealousy. And people having flirtatious fun with each other while at the fence killing zombies. Not everyone developing these intense serious relationships.
    Again you seem to be basing this on how you think they should be interacting with one another. All I saw was one relationship develop between the new group and that was Karen and Ty, and I didn't see them act out of the ordinary. Nothing they did was over indulgent on how they felt about one another except share a little kiss. Hell, look at Beth and that kid, it goes against everything you're trying to insinuate. She purposely didn't get close and didn't get upset when he died. As for Maggie and Glenn, they have been a couple for two years now. And the only thing Carol did with Daryl was share one little flirty joke. I don't see what you're talking about as far as "Love Story" developing on TWD.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Again you seem to be basing this on how you think they should be interacting with one another. All I saw was one relationship develop between the new group and that was Karen and Ty, and I didn't see them act out of the ordinary. Nothing they did was over indulgent on how they felt about one another except share a little kiss. Hell, look at Beth and that kid, it goes against everything you're trying to insinuate. She purposely didn't get close and didn't get upset when he died. As for Maggie and Glenn, they have been a couple for two years now. And the only thing Carol did with Daryl was share one little flirty joke. I don't see what you're talking about as far as "Love Story" developing on TWD.
    This is the 1st episode and I'm concerned that what we saw will continue. Maybe it won't, and my concerns will be unfounded. I hope so.
    And yes, it is based on how I envision them interacting with each other given the situation and circumstances.

United States
    This is the 1st episode and I'm concerned that what we saw will continue. Maybe it won't, and my concerns will be unfounded. I hope so.
    And yes, it is based on how I envision them interacting with each other given the situation and circumstances.
    Well, there definitely has to be a happy median of course. I mean if this turns into "Bridges of Madison County" I'll be the first to admit I am wrong. But,....I also don't want to see them get away from the natural course of coupling to a certain point because it still points to the humanity and basic instinct of these characters or people in general. I can tell you that if the acting is not up to par, then I can see it where it just looks bad and unnatural especially if the dialogue is not well written either.

Dead

United States
    I'm hoping they intentionally made this episode that way to contrast with what's to come. Next episode could change everything.

United States
    I'm hoping they intentionally made this episode that way to contrast with what's to come. Next episode could change everything.
    I don't know what's coming because I haven't read any spoilers or seen any clips but I have read a couple of reviews. And from what I got out of it is the next couple of shows is balls to the wall of zombie action, terror and horror. I hope I read right.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I swear, some of you just watch this show just to find things to pick on lol go watch CSI or something of the sorts.
    Nah, just that the last episode ended on such a "WTF is going on?" note that it's hard not to try & figure out, well, WTF is going on?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    WTF is going on?
    I thought it was obvious. Sexually transmitted super-disease.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I thought it was obvious. Sexually transmitted super-disease.
    So then the young woody allen clone has been screwing pigs? And who screwed the boar in the woods? The Gov?
    Or are people screwing walkers?
    Last edited by babomb; 17-Oct-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Oh mah gawd! It's must be the Mad Effer! One of the TWD characters sneaks out each night searching for anything or anybody to F***, sort of like Lori but in a male role!
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Am I the only one who thought it was odd how everyone seems to be sleeping with the cell doors open? I mean, I'm sure its to show how complacent they have become over the past several months, but I don't think I'd ever sleep with my "rooms" cell door unlocked.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Am I the only one who thought it was odd how everyone seems to be sleeping with the cell doors open? I mean, I'm sure its to show how complacent they have become over the past several months, but I don't think I'd ever sleep with my "rooms" cell door unlocked.
    That's a bad situation there. Because they don't all have individual keys. I agree that i would want my cell locked. But i'd also want the key to unlock it. I wouldn't want to be locked in a cell where someone else had the key, outside the cell.
    There's not enough keys for there to be one for every cell. Last season Rick said that he and Daryl both had copies of the keys.
    There's a security protocol in place. When the prison was active, guards would most likely not have keys to open every door in the whole prison. Guards working in cell block A probably had keys to open only that cell block and it's cells. All cells in block A would open with the same key, likely a different key than the cells in block B.
    Otherwise if 1 cell block was overrun, all cell blocks and the cells within would be at risk. The key to open the cell block itself would also probably be different than the one that opens each individual cell.
    So they probably have a choice. Sleep with the cell door open or be stuck in the cell until someone that has a key can let you out. And if the person with the key is asleep when you wake up, you're stuck until they wake up. Or if they get killed, well, that would suck real bad.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Absolutely correct. I understand I could die in this tv world but I don't want to die cheap. Falling asleep at night to get bit by old man Jenkins down the hall because he died in his sleep would piss me off. And hurt. I also agree with Babombs take about being locked in with someone else in control. Heck tie the cell shut with wire or rope. Don't have to be keyed to stop a ZED. But as OP first stated I'm sure this was done to show complacency. Our group is feeling a tad too safe and will probably be reminded of their vulnerability in a violent manner