Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

Administrator

England
    It's still over three months away isn't it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's still over three months away isn't it?
    It comes out on September 17th.

Originally it would have been out already, but there was a six month delay to give the game some further polish - I'd rather wait and get a solid product, than have some rushed-out-the-door, bugged-as-all-get-out disappointment. Rockstar haven't let me down yet, so fingers confidently crossed for GTA V.

Ireland
    hopefully they'll make a decent port to the PC this time, cos IV was an absolute bucket of sh*te!

I fear that the current gen xbox is just too weak for GTA as it stands now. IV didn't look the best at all. Too much bloom and blur.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    And even more screenshots:
    http://www.actiontrip.com/features/e...eftauto5.phtml

Such as:

Administrator

England
    ^^
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    3 calendar months from today, gents, or a little over 91 days.

really looking forward to some gameplay vids sometime soon. shouldn't be too long now.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    3 calendar months from today, gents, or a little over 91 days.

really looking forward to some gameplay vids sometime soon. shouldn't be too long now.
    Me too! I'm hoping for something like they did with RDR or LA Noire or Max Payne 3 and give us a weekly dose of preview goodness covering major aspects of the game and the tech.

I'm still quite struck by the apparent size of the game world though. It'll have to be multiple discs on the 360, no doubt about that. I just hope to GAR that it doesn't require installing to a Hard Drive (I don't have a 360 HDD, just two ickle memory units) to play ... but why should it, really - LA Noire was 3 discs and a sandboxer and it streamed from the discs themselves, so I'm expecting the same thing here.

Anyway - blimey, just three months away now!!!

Administrator

England
    Couldn't face this game on the XBox... Will have to be PC for me...

Bet those screenshots & videos are from the PC version, not the XBox
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Couldn't face this game on the XBox... Will have to be PC for me...

Bet those screenshots & videos are from the PC version, not the XBox
    Hmmm ... I don't know, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I doubt they'd want to essentially lie to the market and get bad press - plus, look at RDR - that game is achingly beautiful, and all on current gen ... and we don't have any confirmation of a PC port, which they've probably not done much work on at this point in order to get GTA V out on consoles and working as solidly as any other Rockstar title on launch day ... you'd not want to be using screenshots from an unfinished (or perhaps not even started) PC port of the game to sell the console edition.

There'll be a few photoshopped elements (e.g. depth of field effects, the odd light effect etc), but I remember seeing screenshots for GTA IV and RDR and thinking "wow, how is this possible?" - but possible it was. Also - Max Payne 3 - that game looks incredible on consoles.

I have faith.

When a PC port is available, the graphics will no doubt be superior (although fancier graphics isn't much use if the game plays like arse a la GTA IV's port), but you'd also be opening yourself up to legal action if you were putting out decidedly different non-console screenshots to promote the console edition. Ergo, I'm calling legit.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Mmmmkay! I suspect you're right!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    What was I speculating a mere two weeks ago?

http://www.actiontrip.com/news/gta-5...discs/070213_3

Rockstar Games has conformed that both PS3 and Xbox 360 editions of their hugely anticipated game, Grand Theft Auto 5, will come on two discs. However, gamers won't be required to swap the discs during a playthrough. When you insert the first disc, there will be a mandatory 8GB installation and subsequently you'll use the second disc to play the game. That's how it will go for 360 users.

Rockstar had this to say in Q&A blog post: "This initial install will require an Xbox 360 Hard Drive or an external 16GB USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of free space. If using a USB flash drive it must be at least USB 2.0 with a minimum 15mb/s read speed and formatted for Xbox 360 use. A new USB flash drive is recommended to ensure optimum performance."

PS3 owners are going to have the usual Blu-ray disc variant, but will also have to undergo the 8GB installation process.
    GTA V requires hard-drive installation on both consoles ... so I'm either going to have to buy a silly, overpriced, over-large MS HDD, or as they say here, just get a 16gb USB 2.0 stick with at least 15mb/s transfer rate for a fraction of the cost.

I had hoped it'd just run off the disc like all other Rockstar releases prior to this, but perhaps it's just a case of not being able to stream the data fast enough from the disc drive - so you've got 8gb worth installed, and then you use Disc 2 in conjunction with that. Well, as long as it makes for smooth loading and it doesn't prove a hassle for me to figure out ... speaking of which:

Can anyone recommend such a stick to use as extra 360 storage space? I don't have a 360 HDD, just two memory units ... and does anyone know how you go about formatting a new USB stick for 360 use?

Administrator

England
    The size limit used to be 16GB, but isn't it 32BG now? http://kotaku.com/5959364/xbox-360-s...-latest-update

Infact I think you can get 64GB, make two 32GB partitions and get the XBox to format them both? But sounds like a faff!

Sandisk used to do sticks pre-formatted for the XBox too!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The size limit used to be 16GB, but isn't it 32BG now? http://kotaku.com/5959364/xbox-360-s...-latest-update

Infact I think you can get 64GB, make two 32GB partitions and get the XBox to format them both? But sounds like a faff!

Sandisk used to do sticks pre-formatted for the XBox too!
    Interesting. If the price is the same I'd go for the 32gb, but I'm only going to get one specifically because GTA V requires installation, and there's no way I'm not going to play GTA V. As such 16gb will be plenty for my needs - but if the price was right 32gb would be fine too, but a lot of unused space really.

Sandisk drive here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ...uctDescription

Don't know what the transfer rate for it is though, it doesn't say in the info from what I can see - needs to be 15mb/s - a couple of users said their 360s said it was "too slow", so there's no point wasting money on something that won't cut it. It's a start anyway.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Jul-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    By the way - the first gameplay footage drops today!

10am EST ... so that's what, 3pm in the UK?

Administrator

England
    ^^ 4pm?
    -Carl Sagan