View Poll Results: What did you think of Survival of the Dead?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it.

19 13.01%
  • Liked It.

53 36.30%
  • Meh, neither here nor there.

25 17.12%
  • Disappointed.

29 19.86%
  • Hated it.

20 13.70%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you who **have seen** Survival of the Dead - - - opinion poll!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    IMO the main difference is Zombieland was intentionally written to be funny where as Survival....well, not so much.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree here. . . there were LOADS of intentional and shlocky funny parts in Survival. The overall theme was not comedic, no, but it had a lot more comedy moments than any of George's previous zombie movies. Kind of why I liked the movie, it didn't take itself seriously.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree here. . . there were LOADS of intentional and shlocky funny parts in Survival. The overall theme was not comedic, no, but it had a lot more comedy moments than any of George's previous zombie movies. Kind of why I liked the movie, it didn't take itself seriously.
    Indeed, GAR intended for Survival to have those Loony Toons moments, he's said so himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    You might want to take shelter on these forums if you classify 28 Weeks Later as a zombie movie.
    *fetches his beatin' stick*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ChokeOnEm View Post
    I dunno...there's some broad Looney Tunes moments in 'Survival', as well as some typical Romero black humor. 'Survival' at least offers some solid B-movie thrills. 'Zombieland' strains waaay to hard to be offbeat and irreverent. Can't say that I really liked either movie. Haven't seen a truly GREAT zombie flick since "28 Weeks Later".
    I would say the difference between the two is that Romero made a zombie movie with comedy elements, but Zombieland is a comedy movie with zombie elements. Anybody going into zombieland expecting more of a horror film is setting themselves up for disappointment. It was clearly marketed as a comedy from day one. Not the same for Survival, really.

Zombieland is just an amusement park ride, where as Survival tries to be intelligent while throwing out fart gags.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Jul-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Undisclosed
    After two full viewings, I really love this film. Romero is truly a master. The first viewing I was on the fence, but It just feels so much like Day of the Dead that I can't help but love it.

Undisclosed
    I loved Survival, but I also enjoyed Diary and Land. If you are expecting Romero to make another epic like his trilogy, you should give up now and save yourself the disappointment.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tongue View Post
    I loved Survival, but I also enjoyed Diary and Land. If you are expecting Romero to make another epic like his trilogy, you should give up now and save yourself the disappointment.
    A statement I can agree with. GAR already made the zombie movie with Dawn of the Dead - he's done his part in giving us the best slice of zombie-ness ever, and even if some aren't as keen on Dawn, there's also Night of the Living Dead, which was another milestone.

So the man's done more than enough for the zombie genre - he's just having some fun now and he's earned the right. I was never expecting another Dawn of the Dead from GAR, which is why I enjoy his latest flicks - they do have flaws, but there's so much tosh out there under the zombie genre label that they stand above them with ease ... although Diary is the least one of the three new zed flicks from Uncle George, in my view.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    A statement I can agree with. GAR already made the zombie movie with Dawn of the Dead - he's done his part in giving us the best slice of zombie-ness ever, and even if some aren't as keen on Dawn, there's also Night of the Living Dead, which was another milestone.

So the man's done more than enough for the zombie genre - he's just having some fun now and he's earned the right. I was never expecting another Dawn of the Dead from GAR, which is why I enjoy his latest flicks - they do have flaws, but there's so much tosh out there under the zombie genre label that they stand above them with ease ... although Diary is the least one of the three new zed flicks from Uncle George, in my view.
    When you set the bar as high as he did with Dawn and Day... then I expect him to live up to those expectations with every zombie film he creates. Why does he get a free pass to half-ass it, or as some say, he deserves the right to do as he pleases...

I disagree, you can't go from making three great films, and then suddenly decide to shit all over the genre you created by just doing whatever you want. That screams laziness and trying to make a quick buck.

Put forth the same amount of quality you did in the beginning. Is that too much to ask?

This is the job and life he chose... My job expects me to put forth the same amount of quality in my work I have done since I was hired on in 2004... that standard doesn't change, nor can I change it to tailor fit my needs and desires... Romero should employ the same work ethic.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 16-Aug-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    you can't go from making three great films, and then suddenly decide to shit all over the genre you created by just doing whatever you want.

"I disagree...."

Last edited by bassman; 16-Aug-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Kind of why I liked the movie, it didn't take itself seriously.

The problem is that's what the genre has been reduced to. Toungue in cheek comedies.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The problem is that's what the genre has been reduced to. Toungue in cheek comedies.

Hence why I take it as seriously as I do and try to restore the horror element to the genre.

Many people have suggest i should do this or that in the films, but I say fuck that you wanna do it go make your own movie... I am so pissed at how tongue and cheek zombie films have become it pisses me off to no end, and that is why I won't employee dumb comedic antics for the sole purpose of making the films atmosphere lighter... These are supposed to scary monsters, your brother, your sister, father etc etc coming after you and not stopping until they kill you.

Why is that such a hard concept for people to grasp?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I disagree, you can't go from making three great films, and then suddenly decide to shit all over the genre you created by just doing whatever you want. That screams laziness and trying to make a quick buck.
    I tend to agree. Or, moreover, I expect that within the same series the movies will stay true to the concept and tone of the predecessors. Large scale departures from the originals is breaking the director/fan pact, imo.

Quality is another matter altogether. I don't think you can force quality. Day is a good example. A lot of people thought the quality in Day diminished from Dawn, but the tone and concept remained true to the series. I would even argue that Land stayed true to the series even though it has notable quality issues.

Diary took liberties with filming style and added gag kills, neither of which was true to the series. That's where I feel the director has shat on the fans.

If the man wants to go all Toxic Avenger on us, that's fine, just take it to a different franchise where that kind of movie is the expectation.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Diary took liberties with filming style and added gag kills, neither of which was true to the series. That's where I feel the director has shat on the fans.

If the man wants to go all Toxic Avenger on us, that's fine, just take it to a different franchise where that kind of movie is the expectation.
    Or don't stray from the formula and expect us to praise the work none the less.

I wouldn't even have a problem if it was a good evolution, but what he's releasing, well... No need to beat a dead horse.

Hence why I take it as seriously as I do and try to restore the horror element to the genre.

Many people have suggest i should do this or that in the films, but I say fuck that you wanna do it go make your own movie... I am so pissed at how tongue and cheek zombie films have become it pisses me off to no end, and that is why I won't employee dumb comedic antics for the sole purpose of making the films atmosphere lighter... These are supposed to scary monsters, your brother, your sister, father etc etc coming after you and not stopping until they kill you.

Why is that such a hard concept for people to grasp?
    It's funny because there was an interview on G4 tv a while back, (I posted it here, use the search feature) and they had him look at left 4 dead 2 and asked him his thoughts on it.

You should have seen the man's face. Like, "how dare you ask me about this abomination!?!" I believe he actually said,"these are not MY zombies."

I love the fact that he exopresed such frustration at what hollywood has made out of his intellectual property.

I love it for the simple fact that it may give him a glimpse into what we feel when he peddles out "subpar" work.

Because truthfully Uncle George, as it pertains to his latest films, "these are not our zombies" either.

What GAr has been releasing is not what we all fell in love with. In fact if he had released the 3 most recent films first, before the original trilogy he would have never reached the Rock Star status he has enjoyed.

Not even close.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    I agree that a director shouldn't "Shit all over his past work.". But reading interviews, and listening to commentaries, the man just still loves Zombies. He was talking about a book he is still writing, and it got brought up about how Zombies defecate, and he joked about writing in his new book about it. And for all we know he probably will. It just seems like he is having fun with these little stories. And it's not like he's the only director to make worse movies as he's gone on.

Honestly, George has been shit on in terms of money.(Yes, I know copyright issues and his poor judgment can be blamed on this.) he doesn't have the cash to throw around like some of these other Hollywood productions.(Zombieland comes to mind. Which cost 23 Million). When both Diary and Survival cost less than 4 Million each. It may be a little unfair to expect a lot out of a Direct to DVD title.(Yes, I know they had some screenings, but nothing much.)

In my opinion, movies have changed. It seems you need a huge budget to make an epic in today's times. I may be wrong about that though. Someone correct me on that.

Anyway, that is my personal opinion. Yes, I need to be realistic, I can't hold one director above others because he loves Zombies. And I do agree that the gag kills have got to go, but I can ignore them.

I have no idea why, I didn't like Land my first viewing, or Diary for that matter. But over the last year or so I have grown to enjoy them more. And I have always enjoyed Survival. I think the Sarge is one of the best characters he has created in a while. But I remember not liking Day of the Dead all those years ago.

I'm done with my ramblings.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tongue View Post
    I agree that a director shouldn't "Shit all over his past work.". But reading interviews, and listening to commentaries, the man just still loves Zombies. He was talking about a book he is still writing, and it got brought up about how Zombies defecate, and he joked about writing in his new book about it. And for all we know he probably will. It just seems like he is having fun with these little stories. And it's not like he's the only director to make worse movies as he's gone on.

Honestly, George has been shit on in terms of money.(Yes, I know copyright issues and his poor judgment can be blamed on this.) he doesn't have the cash to throw around like some of these other Hollywood productions.(Zombieland comes to mind. Which cost 23 Million). When both Diary and Survival cost less than 4 Million each. It may be a little unfair to expect a lot out of a Direct to DVD title.(Yes, I know they had some screenings, but nothing much.)

In my opinion, movies have changed. It seems you need a huge budget to make an epic in today's times. I may be wrong about that though. Someone correct me on that.

Anyway, that is my personal opinion. Yes, I need to be realistic, I can't hold one director above others because he loves Zombies. And I do agree that the gag kills have got to go, but I can ignore them.

I have no idea why, I didn't like Land my first viewing, or Diary for that matter. But over the last year or so I have grown to enjoy them more. And I have always enjoyed Survival. I think the Sarge is one of the best characters he has created in a while. But I remember not liking Day of the Dead all those years ago.

I'm done with my ramblings.

Not ramblings. Your opinions are appreciated.

And as for being shit on finacially that's pretty much the only reason i will still support the man even after disappointing films.

It's a crime that a man who pretty much invented the modern zombie (a movie monster on par with any of the classic monsters, i.e. Vampires, werewolves, Frankenstein, imo) did reap a penny from his intellectual property, for dawn and night atleast.

So if he's trying to make some money off his name now with subpar films and tatoos i ain't mad at cha' playa!

Being Attacked

United States
    I liked it, but do feel it was his weakest work.

WN